The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Does the RNG guarantee a certain number of gold drops?

Hierodule

How do packs work?

if I buy a random pack of CCG cards, they printed a fixed number of rares, and I know somebody somewhere got a rare even if I didn't. Every pack I buy out of a box that doesn't have the rare means the rare is more and more likely in the next pack

But if I am rolling a die with a 1% chance of success, I am NOT guaranteed a win. It may be that nobody wins after 1000 rolls. I get no closer to winning with the next roll than the last

I bought a hypercrate of Strategy alliance. I got zero gold drops. I'm disappointed.

If the packs can't be redone to track the existence of items in some way (give out an item every X rolls of the dice) then I wish they would return to the Hypercrate + One Gold Item method they used to use.

How do packs work?

if I buy a random pack of CCG cards, they printed a fixed number of rares, and I know somebody somewhere got a rare even if I didn't. Every pack I buy out of a box that doesn't have the rare means the rare is more and more likely in the next pack

But if I am rolling a die with a 1% chance of success, I am NOT guaranteed a win. It may be that nobody wins after 1000 rolls. I get no closer to winning with the next roll than the last

I bought a hypercrate of Strategy alliance. I got zero gold drops. I'm disappointed.

If the packs can't be redone to track the existence of items in some way (give out an item every X rolls of the dice) then I wish they would return to the Hypercrate + One Gold Item method they used to use.

each pack is a unique "roll" and a unique chance to get an item. Opening 1000 packs doesn't mean you will get one, it just means you have 1000 chances.

to use your dice analogy. I roll a dice 1000 times, does not mean I will roll a 6, just gives me 1000 tries to roll a 6. Odds of it NOT occurring (not rolling a 6) are (5/6)^1000 a VERY small number, but also not ZERO meaning it CAN happen.

every instance of a pack has a set of items, of those items there is a chance it might be rare. The odds of a rare in any pack is fixed, opening more packs does not make you more likely to get one unless you open a very large number of packs to make that number very very small.

Your card example is not a good one, as your chances do not increase by any appreciable amount. (the only increase is because there are now 1 fewer packs in the world than there were before, which is a minuscule probability increase, for all intents and purposes, you are rolling dice, though of course they want you to think your chances are increasing)

To answer your question, no there is no fixed number, it is called a Random Number Generator for a reason.

It all boils down to statistics, buying a hypercrate increases you chances of a gold item due simply to sample size, but there is no guarantee.

Does the RNG guarantee a certain number of gold drops?

How do packs work?

No guarantee. The packs work like rolling dice, not like picking and discarding cards from a deck. The only way to increase your chances is to increase your sample size (buy more boxes) but each box has the same exact odds of getting a gold drop - or not getting a gold drop.

Someone posted about buying $500 worth of crates and not getting the nexu companion.

Fun, eh?