Is PVP viable without subscription?

JCabFer

Hi to everyone!

I'm writing this post because I am too tired of how Bioware is treating the PVP aspect of swtor. I recently cancelled my subscription because I am not willing to pay Bioware any more money after more than 2 years now, and not having anything in return, just story chapters in which I have 0 interest. :(

What I do enjoy of this game, no matter how bad or awkward some people claim it to be, is PVP. I find the rest of the game to be extremely boring once you have done it 2 or 3 times...

But now that I have unsubscribed, I wonder what my future with this game will be. I know some limitations for not being subscribed (5 PVP games a week per character being the worst), but I would like to ask you if I can live with them, provided I have many characters to play with (almost 1 for each discipline). What about crafting augments? And about geting materials? How many characters can I unlock once I become preferred again? :rolleyes:

Is there anything else I am missing that I will miss too much when I am preferred?

Thanks for your comments! ;)

I am preparing to do the same.

You can have 16 total characters per server. You need the unlocks to unlock all the characters that go past the 6 chars + however many you have unlocked in the past. I have moved all extra characters to another server. I have created a few level 1 chars just in case in order to have all the stuff I get as a sub on each of them upon creation.

You need the artifact authorizations unlock as far as I know

I have also got the quick bar unlock, and purchased a few passes.

I was part of a promotion when I was given an extra crew skill slot on every character, but if you did not, you will have 1 less slot per char, unless you unlock it. You will be able to craft only one item at a time, unable to load up the queue, sot it will make getting the kits a bit painful.

Because of gearing and augmentation, I am planning to leave most of my chars in lowbies and midbies, as at the rate of 5 wz per week it will last forever, and no special gear is required with the same level of fun imo as the 65s. And I won't be running into the credits wall every time I need to pull the mods or augment.

The transfer of comms will cost you 25% more than to a sub, so what I do is convert the comms right away into boxes and store them while I am still a sub.

You will not be able to mail credits and only 1 item at a time, so I dedicated one bay of the Legacy storage to Legacy armor exchange between the characters, and storage of the legacy boxes.

To make the gearing easier and use less augments, I am trying to pick the characters that are mirrors of my favorites, and create the multiples of them. So, it's like playing the same char, really.

I have also went the route of saving cartel coins, as I will always have access to those, but not to my credits.

Edited by DomiSotto

Well, you won't be able to do ranked.

You will be harassed at every menu telling you subscribers gain benefits.

Everything will cost more credits and you will be able to store fewer credits. In this sense, it might be a pain to buy augments.

I think you have to buy with CC some cosmetic options like hide helmet and color unification.

If you want to level a new character from scratch, your play experience will be pretty frustrating.

Overall, it is doable, but quite limiting and frankly, frustrating to play without being a sub. There are probably many things I'm missing that are annoying that others will pick up.

To be honest, I feel that leveling will be actually better without the sub. Now that everything is in comms, and you have Legacy gear, the item drops are of no value.

Slower level gaining is actually beneficial compared to the insane rate a sub gains levels. You will have far more time to play PvP and FPs as you level before being spit out into the end-game half-educated. You will have more time to gather and craft and stuff.

The problems imo comes when you do hit level 65 and have to pull the mods and augment and you are denied the access to content, either permanently or for free, aka ranked and Ops.

Edited by DomiSotto

Hi to everyone!

I'm writing this post because I am too tired of how Bioware is treating the PVP aspect of swtor. I recently cancelled my subscription because I am not willing to pay Bioware any more money after more than 2 years now, and not having anything in return, just story chapters in which I have 0 interest. :(

What I do enjoy of this game, no matter how bad or awkward some people claim it to be, is PVP. I find the rest of the game to be extremely boring once you have done it 2 or 3 times...

But now that I have unsubscribed, I wonder what my future with this game will be. I know some limitations for not being subscribed (5 PVP games a week per character being the worst), but I would like to ask you if I can live with them, provided I have many characters to play with (almost 1 for each discipline). What about crafting augments? And about geting materials? How many characters can I unlock once I become preferred again? :rolleyes:

Is there anything else I am missing that I will miss too much when I am preferred?

Thanks for your comments! ;)

I have played unsubbed for several months throughout my time with swtor. I bought all the unlocks a long time ago so the only annoyance is the credit cap and war zone limit (if you don't have a subbed buddy). You don't miss much unless you like ranked. I unsubbed a bit ago because I got frustrated with the bads. Decided to try subbing for one more month with 4.0 to see if it is worth it. It's not IMO.

Warzones still full of bads. Bioware still failing at life. Preferred lets you have almost all the benefits that subbing does. Just buy your unlocks and make sure to make friends with a sub. Then you are set as long as you don't like ranked.

Thank you very much! You've all been very helpful, really!

There were some things you mentioned that I wasn't aware of, but now I have several days left until my sub expires to work on them.

I already have some unlocks, because I bought them a long time ago, but I had forgotten :p I will have to check which ones I already have. Artifact authorization, unifiy color... I think.

Since I don't play ranked I see it is not a big deal to play unsubbed. The idea of mirroring my favorite classes is good! I guess I'll have to move on to another server, because where I am right now, every character is 60+... This way I can play lowbies again, although it is sometimes much more frustrating, having no skills at all lol

The biggest issue will be queuing with a subscribed friend if I want to play with one specific character, and get all equipment and augs. But since I think I do pretty well at 65 with basic PVP gear, and without augments at the moment... I don't feel it will be necessary.

I'll see what I can do now. Thanks so much! ;)

For getting pops, you just need a subscriber to be in a group with you and to queue you both as a group. This will allow you to do warzones past your weekly limit, and the good thing is, the other guy doesn't even have to take the pop!

Does that glitch still work? Have you confirmed? I can't get on due to study.

Make sure you click on someone's referral link if you haven't already. It gives you a bunch of goodies, some of which is quite useful as a free-to-play character. Also remember to spread your credits out across a few toons, to help deal with the credit cap (which I THINK is character based, not account based, iirc).

Buy quality of life unlocks in advance from the GTN rather than waiting until your sub lapses.

Edit: As a previous sub, you'll be preferred status. Check out what you might need to buy, unlock-wise here:

http://www.swtor.com/free/features

Edited by Jherad

Hi to everyone!

I'm writing this post because I am too tired of how Bioware is treating the PVP aspect of swtor. I recently cancelled my subscription because I am not willing to pay Bioware any more money after more than 2 years now, and not having anything in return, just story chapters in which I have 0 interest.

While i do understand your point, i feel its rather narrow. Bioware isnt sitting on a pile of money, working together with illuminati on new ways to harass pvp players. They didnt did much for pvp because they couldnt, and losing subs is not very likely to change anything about that fact.