The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Hats. More HATS!

Lhancelot

With hair.

Doesn't have to be one hat for every hairstyle, but a few hat + hairstyles that would fit for several hairs...tyles... *sigh* ok, how do i explain this... dammit. I know what i mean.

Headpieces that cover hairstyles should come with hairstyles "attached" to them: Hair that would stick out the bottom, but truncated so that it doesn't clip through the hat. A few styles done that could cover a variety of un-hatted hairstyles, as in.... hair tied into a ponytail to cover all long hair styles... type of thing.

That way, we wouldn't look like brain surgery outpatients wearing a hat.

Clear as mud? :jawa_frown:

With hair.

Doesn't have to be one hat for every hairstyle, but a few hat + hairstyles that would fit for several hairs...tyles... *sigh* ok, how do i explain this... dammit. I know what i mean.

Headpieces that cover hairstyles should come with hairstyles "attached" to them: Hair that would stick out the bottom, but truncated so that it doesn't clip through the hat. A few styles done that could cover a variety of un-hatted hairstyles, as in.... hair tied into a ponytail to cover all long hair styles... type of thing.

That way, we wouldn't look like brain surgery outpatients wearing a hat.

Clear as mud? :jawa_frown:

Engine difficulties are preventing that...although since the addons to the base hair model (sideburns, Padawan braids, etc.) are a separate model from the base hairstyle, I don't see why they can't at least let THOSE show with something like Nico's hat.

Niko Okarr companion shows they can do hair with hats. Just default it to short haircut if you wear the hat. Anything to skip the ugly cap around the hats as it is now.
No, they CAN'T do hair with hats.

Hells, Nico Okarr is the only exception to that limitation, and THAT'S only because the hair is attached to his hat and not his head!

No, they CAN'T do hair with hats.

Hells, Nico Okarr is the only exception to that limitation, and THAT'S only because the hair is attached to his hat and not his head!

Ma-bing! And that's how you do hair for hats. That's what i was talking about: they could very well do a small sample of hats with a few hairstyles - like i used as an example: have hair tied back in a ponytail for all female long hairstyles. So all characters that use a long hairstyle default to a hat with tied long hair, all mid-length hairstyles would default to a hat with med-length hair poking out from under (attached too the hat) and short hair styles default to a hat with short hair. The game would just have to detect what hairstyle a given character has, and show the corresponding hat-with-hair-attached. All they would need to do after that is to make sure there's no clipping with the bald head.

Ma-bing! And that's how you do hair for hats. That's what i was talking about: they could very well do a small sample of hats with a few hairstyles - like i used as an example: have hair tied back in a ponytail for all female long hairstyles. So all characters that use a long hairstyle default to a hat with tied long hair, all mid-length hairstyles would default to a hat with med-length hair poking out from under (attached too the hat) and short hair styles default to a hat with short hair. The game would just have to detect what hairstyle a given character has, and show the corresponding hat-with-hair-attached. All they would need to do after that is to make sure there's no clipping with the bald head.
...which would leave the playerbase having to download a patch with four copies of almost every headgear item: one with long hair, one with medium hair, one with short hair, and one with NO hair.

Make that EIGHT copies of the model, actually, since it would have to be different for male and female heads...bandwidth is limited, is what I'm getting at, here. At the end of the day, is this worth it (to the devs...and EA's bottom line)?