Ideas on improving Companions system

TheKilltech

since the introduction of KotFE we got quite a long list of companions and that added a few inconveniences. therefore a few ideas:

Favorite Companions

in order to make it easier to find the comanions one uses a lot, a simple system to companions as favorites. the favorites would come up always first in the crew skill and alliance windowa (and get an own collapsible group there). it would be also nice if they could also appear on the personal starship just as before KotFE. another possible convenience improvement could be that when rightclicking the companion interface object there a new context menu "summon companion" could be added listing only the favorite companions such that there is a faster option to browsing through the alliance window.

Companion influence

Currently influence is only gained through gifts and conversations. but having a companion constantly at ones side should probably reward at least a symbolic amount as well. for example defeating powerful foes or completing quests should grant a little influence to your active companion. how that works might also depend on the companions character, since some might be impressed by seeing you fight more then others...

SOLO Flashpoints

instead of the stupid indestructible GSI droid that does almost all work for the player it would be cool if we could use our own alliance instead: solo flashpoints could simple allow to have multiple companions (3-4) accompanying the player - at least as an alternative to the GSI droid that makes lorewise little sense. using companions instead would also add a little tactical depth to these since the player would be left to decide the roles of the party members assisting him - which does have a significant impact on the gameplay.

Alts as companions

Just a crazy idea i know... but still. In the original SWTOR all character stories were meant to happen parallel at the same time (i.e. lore-wise all the alt-characters technically existed at the same time and could have theoretically met. legacy "family tree" even indicates that). In KotFE all my alt-characters are in the same fight and base thus they should actually meet. so it might not be too implausible to add a possibility to have those alt-characters as companions or at least as an easter egg standing around in the alliance base.

Crew Skills

i am often in the situation that i want to craft something for one character but need to switch to another that has the corresponding crafting profession. then later i need to switch again when crafting is done to mail the item. so the original limitation of 3 skills per character is barely a limitation at all - it's merely reduced to an inconvenience. but

doing all the logout-login-logout-login thing really breaks the game flow. therefore i suggest to make crew skills for all KotFE characters a server/account wide thing such that the character switching won't be necessary anymore. perhaps adding a drop-down menu with all available character on the server to the crew skill window would suffice.

EDIT:

Recruitment

doing the same recruitment quests over and over again for every single alt will be very dull and repetitive. in order to prevent an overly grindy impression and to prevent players from feeling discouraged from starting alts it would make sense to ease up the recruitment conditions for each repeated recruitment - or from a certain point on skip it altogether. also there is an insane amount of influence to be gained throughout so many companions and alts. so it would also help if there were influence-gain bonuses for companions one has already build up influence on alts.

Edited by TheKilltech

since the introduction of KotFE we got quite a long list of companions and that added a few inconveniences. therefore a few ideas:

Favorite Companions

in order to make it easier to find the comanions one uses a lot, a simple system to companions as favorites. the favorites would come up always first in the crew skill and alliance windowa (and get an own collapsible group there). it would be also nice if they could also appear on the personal starship just as before KotFE. another possible convenience improvement could be that when rightclicking the companion interface object there a new context menu "summon companion" could be added listing only the favorite companions such that there is a faster option to browsing through the alliance window.

Companion influence

Currently influence is only gained through gifts and conversations. but having a companion constantly at ones side should probably reward at least a symbolic amount as well. for example defeating powerful foes or completing quests should grant a little influence to your active companion. how that works might also depend on the companions character, since some might be impressed by seeing you fight more then others...

PVP Companions gain Influence from PVP matches won. It is pretty cool I have one companion at almost 20.

SOLO Flashpoints

instead of the stupid indestructible GSI droid that does almost all work for the player it would be cool if we could use our own alliance instead: solo flashpoints could simple allow to have multiple companions (3-4) accompanying the player - at least as an alternative to the GSI droid that makes lorewise little sense. using companions instead would also add a little tactical depth to these since the player would be left to decide the roles of the party members assisting him - which does have a significant impact on the gameplay.

Alts as companions

Just a crazy idea i know... but still. In the original SWTOR all character stories were meant to happen parallel at the same time (i.e. lore-wise all the alt-characters technically existed at the same time and could have theoretically met. legacy "family tree" even indicates that). In KotFE all my alt-characters are in the same fight and base thus they should actually meet. so it might not be too implausible to add a possibility to have those alt-characters as companions or at least as an easter egg standing around in the alliance base.

Crew Skills

i am often in the situation that i want to craft something for one character but need to switch to another that has the corresponding crafting profession. then later i need to switch again when crafting is done to mail the item. so the original limitation of 3 skills per character is barely a limitation at all - it's merely reduced to an inconvenience. but

doing all the logout-login-logout-login thing really breaks the game flow. therefore i suggest to make crew skills for all KotFE characters a server/account wide thing such that the character switching won't be necessary anymore. perhaps adding a drop-down menu with all available character on the server to the crew skill window would suffice.

Pretty good ideas.

I would like new companions that are customizable and all companions have some unique abilities like treek and HK.

...Companion influence

SOLO Flashpoints

instead of the stupid indestructible GSI droid that does almost all work for the player it would be cool if we could use our own alliance instead: solo flashpoints could simple allow to have multiple companions (3-4) accompanying the player - at least as an alternative to the GSI droid that makes lorewise little sense. using companions instead would also add a little tactical depth to these since the player would be left to decide the roles of the party members assisting him - which does have a significant impact on the gameplay. ...

I like your style.

I recently started a tread pertaining to some similar ideas for increasing companion influence through a influence per kill ratio. Check it out here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=858004.

I would love to be able to run flashpoint with a team of my companions/alliance.

and a new point:

Recruitment

doing the same recruitment quests over and over again for every single alt will be very dull and repetitive. in order to prevent an overly grindy impression and to prevent players from feeling discouraged from starting alts it would make sense to ease up the recruitment conditions for each repeated recruitment - or from a certain point on skip it altogether. also there is an insane amount of influence to be gained throughout so many companions and alts. so it would also help if there were influence-gain bonuses for companions one has already build up influence on alts.

Favorite Companions

Companion influence

SOLO Flashpoints

Alts as companions

Crew Skills

EDIT:

Recruitment

Give this poster a job @ BW. Genius!

Favorite Companions

Companion influence

SOLO Flashpoints

Alts as companions

Crew Skills

EDIT:

Recruitment

I agree with all those.

Edited by JercGhyron

• 1 month later...

Favorite Companions

Companion influence

SOLO Flashpoints

Alts as companions

Crew Skills

EDIT:

Recruitment

Hey I actually love the GSI combat droid. They should keep it still. I love droids like these that tag along with my companion. But it would be even more cooler if I had it as a companion as well but with the opposite temperament than HK-47. I don't like HK's characteristics because of his bloodlust approach. I recommend the GSI combat droid and even the republic combat droid, has a positive behavior like being humble, sympathetic, and with an energetic tone like "Let's DO THIS!!!!" "Sir! Yes Sir!" "The dishes are done sir!" "HHOOORRRAAHHHH!!!!"

I'd also like the combat support Droid to be a goodsport to everyone he meets, including his rivals.:d_angelic:

Edited by Clone_Enforcer

• 5 months later...

Wouldn't your "Favourite" companion be the one you give more presents too, and use more often, and therefore would have the highest affection and appear at the top of your lists anyway?

And your crew skills suggestion probably has exploits running all through it.

They should create a better window for crew skills because it's a drag when I click another scavenge icon on another companion from the left window and the list resets at the right of the crew skill scavenge window. I don't like using that mini drop down list to pick a certain companion on the right crew skill window. It should just be one unified crew skill window like the one that lets us open the list that displays our companions with their descriptions, stats, and roles.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.