The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

New playable race: Zeltron

jozocuric

I don't really think the game needs to add this as whole new playable race; That since this species look the same as humans (except for their skin/hair colors).

If they would have to add this as a new race they would be best if they just copy-paste the human species files and just change the skin/hair colors and such.

This would be an useless waste of work time and space. A better solution I can propose is that they could just add a Cartel Item to the Market called: "Human Customization Pack: Zeltron" that includes a couple pink/red toned skin colors for humans, along some dark purple/blue hair colors.

That way you could make your own Zeltron characters from those extra human customizations.

I'm not sure your analysis is quite correct. My reading of the lore on Zeltrons is that they are generally better-looking than normal humans, so you'd need to do something about the ugliest of especially the male human heads (i.e. almost all of them). But the part about it being largely a waste of time is just about spot on. It wouldn't help us get nearer having playable Voss, after all.

If they released the Zeltron as a new species the same way they did for Cathar and Togruta, I'd think it would feel like a rip off, given how similar they are to humans.

That being said, I would love it if they added / sold a "Near Human" species option that has a wide range of skin tones and tattoos so that you could make Zeltron, Pantoran, Nagai, Kiffar, etc. That feels like something that would be closer in value to the more physically distinct species they've added in the past.

An option like that is one of my top three choices for a new species.

Edited by DarthDymond

I'm not sure your analysis is quite correct. My reading of the lore on Zeltrons is that they are generally better-looking than normal humans, so you'd need to do something about the ugliest of especially the male human heads (i.e. almost all of them). But the part about it being largely a waste of time is just about spot on. It wouldn't help us get nearer having playable Voss, after all.

The devs have stated they have no intention of making any of the more freaky aliens (and Voss are fairly high on the "alien" side of things). The Zeltron actually seem like something the devs would be willing to work on.

The devs have stated they have no intention of making any of the more freaky aliens (and Voss are fairly high on the "alien" side of things). The Zeltron actually seem like something the devs would be willing to work on.

Voss just have weird eyes and funky coloured skin, and a vocoder of some sort running. Of course, they can't get the words of dialogues to be consistent with the player's chosen species(1) so I don't hold out much hope of them getting it right activating or not activating the vocoder.

(1) Cathar Smugglers and Troopers get a lecture on what exactly a Cathar is, in case they didn't know, from the quest-giver for the Stolen Medicines quest. Rattataki agents get multiple people telling them stuff about "the Rattataki" when going around with Kaliyo, and never once a "which one?" or "both of us?" option in response. Kaliyo herself explains stuff about Rattatak that I'm sure a Rattataki agent would know.

Voss are physically larger than any other playable species currently in the game. They're like on par with wookiees. Next time you are on Voss go stand next to one and you'll see what I mean. I don't know how many characters I took through Voss before I noticed this actually. :D I think that detail is going to keep us from getting playable Voss.

I would be fine with having Zeltron, although my first choice is Nautolan! Been waiting forever for one of them.

Personally I would like a race like Star Trek Online has. For this game it would be a "Near Human" race which would have a bunch of options for eye, skin and hair colors and maybe a "ridges/antenna" slider as well or something. That way all of those near human races like Zeltron could be made easily.

I would absolutely pay CC for that.

Voss just have weird eyes and funky coloured skin, and a vocoder of some sort running. Of course, they can't get the words of dialogues to be consistent with the player's chosen species(1) so I don't hold out much hope of them getting it right activating or not activating the vocoder.

(1) Cathar Smugglers and Troopers get a lecture on what exactly a Cathar is, in case they didn't know, from the quest-giver for the Stolen Medicines quest. Rattataki agents get multiple people telling them stuff about "the Rattataki" when going around with Kaliyo, and never once a "which one?" or "both of us?" option in response. Kaliyo herself explains stuff about Rattatak that I'm sure a Rattataki agent would know.

Republic Chiss troopers also get to ask what those blue skinned aliens on Hoth are and get the Chiss explanation during some quest on that planet. :p

Basically everything that wasn't part of the base game, is unaccounted for in dialogues. Even stuff like the original races that are unlocked through the legacy system. But eh, that's no reason not to have new races.

I'm also in the camp that Zelron would work better as some kind of customization pack though. Maybe to get around the "ugly heads" issue, it can be some kind of drop down in the customization screen, one that locks out a bunch of selections? :p

Personally I would like a race like Star Trek Online has. For this game it would be a "Near Human" race which would have a bunch of options for eye, skin and hair colors and maybe a "ridges/antenna" slider as well or something. That way all of those near human races like Zeltron could be made easily.

I would absolutely pay CC for that.

When I saw someone create a Minbari in STO's creator I knew that every other game might as well just give up in that department. If only the rest of the game had been that amazing.

This could be introduced as a new race with very little work involved so, why not?

Options are always nice, and even if they were simply "attractive" looking humans with pink skin and hair, that's something we dont have in the game right now.

Plus, they add some nice RP options with their lore and stuff. Seems like a good thought to have this race included.

If they released the Zeltron as a new species the same way they did for Cathar and Togruta, I'd think it would feel like a rip off, given how similar they are to humans.

That being said, I would love it if they added / sold a "Near Human" species option that has a wide range of skin tones and tattoos so that you could make Zeltron, Pantoran, Nagai, Kiffar, etc. That feels like something that would be closer in value to the more physically distinct species they've added in the past.

But NPCs in conversation would always call and refer to you as a Human, not Zeltron.

Btw. Aren't all current races near-human?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Human_and_Near-Human_species

But NPCs in conversation would always call and refer to you as a Human, not Zeltron.

No, anyone who is using the "Near Human" species would still be flagged as "Alien" in conversations, same as the Miraluka or any of the other alien species choices. I'm still talking about a separate species unlock, not just new appearance options for the existing Human species.

I just think the new species should have a wide range of options in it so that it could represent several races from the lore, in addition to Zeltrons, in order to make it worth the price-point they charge for new species.

They can't get NPC conversations and player species correct *now*, and people want to complicate the task?

Examples:

* Rattataki IA and Kaliyo. Many NPCs talk about "the Rattataki" as if between the player and Kaliyo, there is only one Rattataki, when in fact there are two. (Go to see Darth J, his guards tell you that "the Rattataki" must wait outside. There is no "Which one?", "Both of us?", or "Go ahead Kaliyo, I'll wait outside like the man says." line.)

* Rattataki IA talking to Temple when she is about to join you as a companion. Temple mentions "the Rattataki" and obviously doesn't mean the player.

* Cathar trooper or smuggler on Ord Mantell is regaled with an explanation of what a Cathar is by the quest giver for the Stolen Medicines quest.

No, anyone who is using the "Near Human" species would still be flagged as "Alien" in conversations, same as the Miraluka or any of the other alien species choices. I'm still talking about a separate species unlock, not just new appearance options for the existing Human species.

I just think the new species should have a wide range of options in it so that it could represent several races from the lore, in addition to Zeltrons, in order to make it worth the price-point they charge for new species.

Exactly, a species that is mostly human looking, but with various skin tones, hair tones, and possibly some special markings (tattoos, ridges, etc.) that would let you either recreate a species or make your own unique alien species would be well worth the CC for it. I would even pay more than the 600 CC that the other races go for if the range of options was significant enough. Depending on the options anywhere from 600 to 1,500 would be fine by me.

• 9 months later...
SWTOR Devs: Please take my money for playable Zeltron race or Zeltron (NPC) characters (and maybe new planet Zeltros to explore and quest). I don't see what the big deal is. All it is is a hot neon pink or different shades of pink skin pigmentation for a humanoid. {shrugs} :o

A generic "near-human" with many options would be amazing... Hell, another space based MMO (EDIT: Ah I went back and see Trobon alreayd mentioned this hehe) has that option... you can play an "alien" with thousands of face options and their full palette of skin colors. Edited by AbsolutGrndZero

• 1 year later...
When I saw someone create a Minbari in STO's creator I knew that every other game might as well just give up in that department. If only the rest of the game had been that amazing.

I actually googled this. Haven't found a screenshot, but found several B5 memes so it's a win regardless.

But to the topic, I would want a full and independent Zeltron species as playable. A few things:

1. To my knowledge, there are no Zeltron NPCs in the game so we're not going to run into "let me explain what a Cathar is" type problems. Of course it would be nice to get a species-specific acknowledgement but that's unrealistic to expect in teh base game at this point. Maybe in future content they can have a thing, though I imagine it'd be pretty low priority.

2. Just because Zeltrons are on average more attractive than humans doesn't mean every single individual must be godlike attractive or even their fuggos necessarily trump any human in looks. So I think there's room for the more unfortunate character creator combinations.

3. Dem pheromones: tying in to the above point, while Zeltrons do have pure visual beauty down, that's not where the entirety or even bulk of their attractiveness comes from. They have pheromones and mild empathic powers that really seal the deal. Also I would think this would make a great racial ability that'd be lost if you roll them into a generic "near-human" race. Same argument would be made for Falleen.

Edited by CrutchCricket