The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Tactics/Advanced Prototype Beginner

Breidr

This is a spec I've been looking into since it was brought up to me on the New Player forums. I have read that it has limited keybinds and an easy priority system to understand, but I can't seem to wrap my head around Duffy's guides. I've tried watching parse videos, but they to don't teach me much.

I feel like an idiot, everyone says the priority is easy, but I can't seem to get there. I thought this spec would be a nice mirror to my Gunnery/Arsenal character while I do both stories, but this spec has kind of left me lost.

From what I've rad, there are different priories based on energy, filler, CDs and it just makes my head spin. I don't really view that as easy, so I must be missing something. I'd hoped the class forums can help me understand the spec more.

This is a spec I've been looking into since it was brought up to me on the New Player forums. I have read that it has limited keybinds and an easy priority system to understand, but I can't seem to wrap my head around Duffy's guides. I've tried watching parse videos, but they to don't teach me much.

I feel like an idiot, everyone says the priority is easy, but I can't seem to get there. I thought this spec would be a nice mirror to my Gunnery/Arsenal character while I do both stories, but this spec has kind of left me lost.

From what I've rad, there are different priories based on energy, filler, CDs and it just makes my head spin. I don't really view that as easy, so I must be missing something. I'd hoped the class forums can help me understand the spec more.

Don't worry, the AP Guide for 4.0 has been sent off and should be up Soon™. Part of the reason it took forever to get out was I had to rewrite the rotation section completely, after realising I could have done a far better job of explaining the rotation.

The TL;DR for now is:

You have 3 blocks, that go like:

[Filler] -> [Filler] -> Rocket Punch/Stockstrike -> [Filler] ->

[Filler] -> [Filler] -> Magnetic Blast/Tactical Surge -> [Filler] ->

Rocket Punch/Stockstrike -> [Filler] -> Magnetic Blast/Tactical Surge -> [Filler] ->

And all the fillers run off the same priority list:

1. Thermal Detonator/Assault Plastique

2. Energy Burst/Cell Burst with 4 stacks of energy lodes

3. Rail Shot/High Impact Bolt

4. Judgement Call of Magnetic Blast/Tactical Surge or Rapid Shots/Hammer Shots

I guess it's all a matter of getting into the swing of things, weaving priorities and rocket punches. Sounds simple enough.

At what level do I "finish" getting all my abilities?

I'm currently 15 and I just landed on Dromund Kass. The only abilities I recognize off the list are rocket punch and rail shot. I'll admit I've kind of just been shooting missiles, rail shot, and then closing into melee for flames and punches. It may not be optimal, but it's worked so far.

Haven't spent any points yet either. Are the builds still the same, or have they changed?

Edited by Breidr

I guess it's all a matter of getting into the swing of things, weaving priorities and rocket punches. Sounds simple enough.

At what level do I "finish" getting all my abilities?

I'm currently 15 and I just landed on Dromund Kass. The only abilities I recognize off the list are rocket punch and rail shot. I'll admit I've kind of just been shooting missiles, rail shot, and then closing into melee for flames and punches. It may not be optimal, but it's worked so far.

Haven't spent any points yet either. Are the builds still the same, or have they changed?

Well to begin with, at level 15 you won't have any semblance of a rotation at all. Everything will fall apart because the spec relies on the level 32 passive "Prototype Particle Accelerator" for pretty much the entire rotation (resource management and damage). Until then, its just spamming AoEs to kill trash super quick.

Once you hit level 32 though, the rail shot reset comes in, and the rotation will actually work. Level 42 brings in Thermal Detonator for an extra chunk of burst (delayed hits FTW), and level 58 brings in the stupidly powerful Energy Burst, which with a set bonus is capable of hitting 25-30k, depending on gear and if its PvE or PvP

Given the speed of leveling, 32 isn't that for off I feel. I'm sure I'll be 50 before I know it.

In terms of spending points, where do I want them?

Well, the 4.0 AP guide is out now, as for utilitiy points I'd probably go with:

Level 17: PvE - Engulfing Flames (for flame sweep spamming) / PvP - Suppressive Tools (for the slow)

Level 25: Bracer Propellant (for range)

Level 33: Iron Will (for Hold the Line spamming)

Level 41: Pyro Shield (for recoil against the enemies)

Level 49: Sonic Rebounder (Group PvE) / Torque Boosters (PvP/Solo PvE)

Level 57: Overdrive

Level 65: Liquid Cooling (Group PvE) / Shield Cannon (PvP/Solo PvE)

• 2 months later...