ping difference make alot of difference in PVP?

KumbayaGOD

hi all

i am playing from apac region and my ping around 220-300 ms i think it is normal from my region and i am playing from harbinger and i think i do quite well in warzones

but i am just wondering about some american player that can have like 20ms , is the different is huge to make performance different in pvp?

i am talking about ms (miliseconds here) , so is the different is make huge difference in pvp? say can cast faster and such

anyone know ?

hi all

i am playing from apac region and my ping around 220-300 ms i think it is normal from my region and i am playing from harbinger and i think i do quite well in warzones

but i am just wondering about some american player that can have like 20ms , is the different is huge to make performance different in pvp?

i am talking about ms (miliseconds here) , so is the different is make huge difference in pvp? say can cast faster and such

anyone know ?

This makes a huge difference from living or dying, the cast bar will be slower on your end and easier to interrupt, what is going on when you hit that button on your keyboard is, your internet is sending a signal to the server and then the server proceeds by projecting the action. Any delay in time is bad, I'm sure we've played fps's and experienced "lag" and hated every second of the rubber banding. There is a fix for this sever delay if your are experiencing these issues, it's called wow latency fix it should bring your ms from 200-300 to 50-100 for me my me remains around 20-30 before fix 250-300. Anything below 100 ms is precise action.

hi all

anyone know ?

This makes a huge difference from living or dying, the cast bar will be slower on your end and easier to interrupt, what is going on when you hit that button on your keyboard is, your internet is sending a signal to the server and then the server proceeds by projecting the action. Any delay in time is bad, I'm sure we've played fps's and experienced "lag" and hated every second of the rubber banding. There is a fix for this sever delay if your are experiencing these issues, it's called wow latency fix it should bring your ms from 200-300 to 50-100 for me my me remains around 20-30 before fix 250-300. Anything below 100 ms is precise action.

You will notice it.....a lot.

Before the last couple of days I always sat just under 40ms. Now for some reason I vary between jumping up to 1000m or lower and dropping to 10 frames per second or lower, or if I'm really unlucky, both at once. It's like watching a movie where your friends see everything and you only get to see every fifth scene. It's doable, but much less enjoyable.

You will notice it.....a lot.

Before the last couple of days I always sat just under 40ms. Now for some reason I vary between jumping up to 1000m or lower and dropping to 10 frames per second or lower, or if I'm really unlucky, both at once. It's like watching a movie where your friends see everything and you only get to see every fifth scene. It's doable, but much less enjoyable.

This involves internet connection and server connection, this has nothing to do with your graphics cards rendering capabilities and your processors capabilities of processing. If you'd like help for optimization so you don't suffer low fps reply to me by giving me a list of what your computer specs are

hi all

anyone know ?

It can be challenging... I'm in exactly the same situation... But it is playable, especially if you are mainly playing people in our region due to the times zones... When you really notice it is if you are playing top American pvpers with less than 30ms... You'll know who they are because your abilities just won't activate fast enough or for instance you'll shield, see it go up, but die anyway... So often you have to pop a defence before you should need to, just in case they hit you with X y z

A lot of playing with high Ping is about anticipation rather than reaction... Most of the time if you see someone use an ability, it is too late to react, you needed to anticipate... This can mean a bit of guess work and sometimes your guess is wrong which leads to you using the wrong ability...

The problem for us is if we've had to pop defences early, the other guys with low ping only have to react to that and either counter it or switch targets and wait... It's much easier to read our buffs and debuffs while reacting in real time, this isn't normally an option for us...

You also get some rubber banding and "teleporting" like behaviour that can really make it hard to stay on target or score in Hutt Ball... I've had this happen in Hutt Ball a lot of times, even had the score announcements, only to realise the lag killed me before I scored... The worst ever was when I go the ball from mid, ran to their line, scored with zero opposition, get the announcement, only to realise that I'd lagged in the middle, they'd got the ball and were nearly at our line when "I'd" scored... LoL

DPS output can also suffer if you are in a group of people with lower ping... They've nearly killed the person before your second/third ability goes off... This is where instant abilities are valuable to us... But they aren't always the hardest hitters, so we can lose out on DPS numbers... If you are 1v1, then it's not such an issue because you can do as much damage as you want... Just watch out for those 20ms players trying to 1v1 you... Not only do you need to be as good as them, you actually need to be better to be able to beat them because they have ping advantage...

Ranked is the worst because if you get focused, even getting off one defence can be a miracle and sometimes you need to nearly spam them all at once in the hope that at least one will go off... I've died in Sorc bubble so many times Its ridiculous...

Having a tough skin is useful too against the people with low ping... I find they are usually the ones that love telling everyone they are scrubs and L2P or your DPS was sh*t... I've seen really good players with high ping get trolled by these sorts of people...

Choosing a class that works for you and has some forgiveness if the ping is high is pretty important... If you were to pick a class that had low survivability and long activation times then it will be extremely difficult... Mercs are pretty challenging at the moment if you have high ping... Not impossible, just harder than some other classes

In saying all of that, playing well with high ping is definitely possible... Some of the best players I know have high ping and do exceptionally well...

But to answer your question, yes, people, with 10-30ms ping have a pretty good advantage over people with 220-320ms ping...

Also don't for get the lag spikes as well... While they suck for those low ping people... They are just about a death warrant for us

As an Aussie player I sit at around 170-200 ms most Americans would be sitting ffrom 0 - 70ms Depending on their location. This ping difference is only noticeable for me in hutt ball an American will always get the ball first and

If I'm in a mirror match or duel with another guardian that is American he will always get his leap off first Or doing target swaps for interrupts and cc, It's not game breaking but it's noticeable only in these instances of pvp.

Edited by denpic

As an Aussie player I sit at around 170-200 ms most Americans would be sitting ffrom 0 - 70ms Depending on their location. This ping difference is only noticeable for me in hutt ball an American will always get the ball first and

If I'm in a mirror match or duel with another guardian that is American he will always get his leap off first Or doing target swaps for interrupts and cc, It's not game breaking but it's noticeable only in these instances of pvp.

That sucks with the Hutt ball thing... LoL... I can be standing there spamming the ball spawn, and a stealth still has time to unstealth and pick up the ball... Lmao...

And that damn leap is annoying... 9/10 times they get their leap in even while I'm spamming mine...

There are other noticeable differences depending on your class and situation... Defence lag can get you killed... I think lag/ping has killed me more times in this game than players and mobs combined

That sucks with the Hutt ball thing... LoL... I can be standing there spamming the ball spawn, and a stealth still has time to unstealth and pick up the ball... Lmao...

And that damn leap is annoying... 9/10 times they get their leap in even while I'm spamming mine...

There are other noticeable differences depending on your class and situation... Defence lag can get you killed... I think lag/ping has killed me more times in this game than players and mobs combined

Yeah another when you use barrier as a sage but your already dead and you standing there arms stretched out in the barrier animation all the way to the respawn.

It can be challenging... I'm in exactly the same situation... But it is playable, especially if you are mainly playing people in our region due to the times zones... When you really notice it is if you are playing top American pvpers with less than 30ms... You'll know who they are because your abilities just won't activate fast enough or for instance you'll shield, see it go up, but die anyway... So often you have to pop a defence before you should need to, just in case they hit you with X y z

A lot of playing with high Ping is about anticipation rather than reaction... Most of the time if you see someone use an ability, it is too late to react, you needed to anticipate... This can mean a bit of guess work and sometimes your guess is wrong which leads to you using the wrong ability...

The problem for us is if we've had to pop defences early, the other guys with low ping only have to react to that and either counter it or switch targets and wait... It's much easier to read our buffs and debuffs while reacting in real time, this isn't normally an option for us...

You also get some rubber banding and "teleporting" like behaviour that can really make it hard to stay on target or score in Hutt Ball... I've had this happen in Hutt Ball a lot of times, even had the score announcements, only to realise the lag killed me before I scored... The worst ever was when I go the ball from mid, ran to their line, scored with zero opposition, get the announcement, only to realise that I'd lagged in the middle, they'd got the ball and were nearly at our line when "I'd" scored... LoL

DPS output can also suffer if you are in a group of people with lower ping... They've nearly killed the person before your second/third ability goes off... This is where instant abilities are valuable to us... But they aren't always the hardest hitters, so we can lose out on DPS numbers... If you are 1v1, then it's not such an issue because you can do as much damage as you want... Just watch out for those 20ms players trying to 1v1 you... Not only do you need to be as good as them, you actually need to be better to be able to beat them because they have ping advantage...

Ranked is the worst because if you get focused, even getting off one defence can be a miracle and sometimes you need to nearly spam them all at once in the hope that at least one will go off... I've died in Sorc bubble so many times Its ridiculous...

Having a tough skin is useful too against the people with low ping... I find they are usually the ones that love telling everyone they are scrubs and L2P or your DPS was sh*t... I've seen really good players with high ping get trolled by these sorts of people...

Choosing a class that works for you and has some forgiveness if the ping is high is pretty important... If you were to pick a class that had low survivability and long activation times then it will be extremely difficult... Mercs are pretty challenging at the moment if you have high ping... Not impossible, just harder than some other classes

In saying all of that, playing well with high ping is definitely possible... Some of the best players I know have high ping and do exceptionally well...

But to answer your question, yes, people, with 10-30ms ping have a pretty good advantage over people with 220-320ms ping...

Also don't for get the lag spikes as well... While they suck for those low ping people... They are just about a death warrant for us

Please look at my solution on this thread get wow latency fix and it will resolve your ping issue proven for multiple games that are MMOs. so you can show those Americans you got what it takes to finish the job.

Please look at my solution on this thread get wow latency fix and it will resolve your ping issue proven for multiple games that are MMOs. so you can show those Americans you got what it takes to finish the job.

I tried that many years ago... It doesn't improve anything in Swtor, it actually increases latency for me and many others...

I still have it as a back up when the internet backbone gets problems in the US... But like I said, performance is actually worse

The thing you also need to know is that the theoretical speed for the pacific submarine cable is 165ms... It is "impossible" for us to get anything lower than that... Plus that is theoretical... Real life speed at best is 170ms...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.