I really need some help with launcher issue

ObiLongAgo

I submitted a bug report earlier this afternoon but I am having a major issue that just started today out of the blue. Wasn't really sure where to post this but I hope someone can help. Suddenly today I cant get logged into the game, I get three different error messages on the launcher, two of them mentioning being unable to retrieve patch data or something along that line and one that says log in service unavailable. Is this just a bug due to the new expansion? I did manage to finally get logged in by using using the compatibility mode, windows 7. I actually have 8.1 but even then I managed to only play for about half an hour then got dcd which was pretty frustrating considering it had taken me two hours to get on. A few times I got as far as the server screen but no servers available. :eek:

should I just reinstall? if so, how can do that without having to re download everything? I would really appreciate some help and if I am in the wrong forum I do apologize. thanks.

I would remove the compatibility mode, it isn't something normally required on Win 8.1

Remove and Re-add the exceptions for both launcher.exe and swtor.exe to the AV and Firewall lists as mentioned in that link.

Ensure the game shortcut is running as administrator.

If it persists make a new post over at AnswersHQ and attach the latest launcher logs (found in the log folder in the main game folder)

Edited by OwenBrooks

Okay, thanks again. After much persistence and patience, I finally got the launcher working, I followed all the steps on that page you provided, flushing the DNS seemed to do the trick. Then I logged in gleefully...to an empty server list. Sigh. Not ready to give up yet and I will follow the rest of your followup suggestions, much appreciated.

Some settings that commonly cause issues in case relevant

ESET - disable protocol filtering

Kaspersky - disable scan secure/encrypted connections

Norton (Firewall) set both exceptions for launcher.exe and swtor.exe to "Allow" instead of "Auto"

Edit - did you remove that compatibility ? this can actually cause a blank server list , if both launcher.exe and swtor.exe aren't using the compatibility mode one side affect can be a blank server list

Edited by OwenBrooks

I have EST for AV. I just added the SWTOR.exe and the launcher to both EST exceptions and firewall. Do you want me to disable the protocol altogether for the EST? I will also double check the incompatibility.

Bangs head slowly on desk. Now I am getting "this application has encountered an unspecified error". I think I will submit my log as you suggested then call it a night. Six and half hours of this nonsense.

Thank you again, hopefully I can get it sorted out tomorrow.

Edited by ObiLongAgo
update

Well upon getting a fresh start this morning, my launcher is now updating, of course it is taking forever but that is better than nothing I suppose. I just wish I knew what the heck happened out of the clear blue sky like that, but perhaps that is just going to remain unsolved. What a mess. I am just so incredibly grateful for your assistance, really I just cant thank you enough. Have a wonderful day and hopefully, fingers crossed, everything will be okay when the update is finished.

Holds mallet over computer just in case.:D

I had the same issue, couldn't login all day. I had at least 3 "reorganizing data"... which means at least one hour waiting. So I decided to reinstall the game and that was my big mistake, it's not downloading... 0% in 3h. I really don't know what to do now.

In the end I had to re download my entire game too but now everything is working fine. It also took two tries to re download, the first one quit at 50 percent but the second time I made sure it was uninstalled. My uneducated guess is that my game went wonky due to a corruption in the files. I'm just glad it's solved.