Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Poor Commando skill synergy.

ShaneW

In the Gunnery tree for Trooper Commandos, I have an issue with how 3 skills work together.

Grav Round -> Gravity Surge -> Charged Barrel

Grav Round does damage, debuffs the targets armor, and leaves them more vulnerable to High Impact Bolt. Stacks up to 5 times.

Gravity Surge makes each Grav Round shot apply 2 stacks of the debuff. Overall gain is you need only use it 3 times as opposed to 5 to fully debuff a target.

Charged Barrel makes Grav Round also give you a buff that increases the damage of your High Impact Shot, which stacks 5 times.

My problem is mostly with the last skill there. You have to shoot Grav Round 5 times to get the full benefit for it, making the second skill Gravity Surge less useful not only in amount of time to apply the debuffs, but the extra ammo cost shooting it off two more times. Since each skill requires the one before it, I don't see a good reason for Charged Barrel to not instead simply work off the number of debuffs that have been applied.

The fairly minimal damage bonus damage even at level 32 on my Commando is NOT worth the extra time and ammo to utilize that skill. Seems better to use it twice to get 4 stacks, and only apply the 5th one when you need to use it again to refresh the duration.

There is a tiny bit of wasted potential with how Gravity Surge works with Charged Barrier in much the same way. I read someone say about applying two buff to yourself but I saw myself this is not the case, each grav shot gave me 1 stack of Charged Barrier and Charged Barrel.

One last thing and very very minor, but some more consistency in the naming of the first two abilities would look better. Instead of Grav Round and Gravity Surge, it should be Grav Round and Grav Surge.

Edited by ShaneW

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.