Sab/Engi and Suppressive Fire

BowtieJones

I've been messing around with Engi spec in pvp lately. I'm having tons of fun. Thanks to the Angry Sniper for those youtube clips, as I probably would've stuck to Dirty Fighting.

I do have a question though. I noticed the contingency charges have a limit of once every half second. Speed shot, which is I think the ability that most people use to detonate the charges, hits slower than that. So my question is: In a single target scenario, is the extra cost of suppressive fire worth it to set off the charges faster? Does the faster burst help, in any noticeable way, improve engi's somewhat lacking damage?

Or should I just get some alacrity and use speed shot?

Hope you are all well,

Cheers,

Bowtiejones

Edited by BowtieJones

I've been messing around with Engi spec in pvp lately. I'm having tons of fun. Thanks to the Angry Sniper for those youtube clips, as I probably would've stuck to Dirty Fighting.

I do have a question though. I noticed the contingency charges have a limit of once every half second. Speed shot, which is I think the ability that most people use to detonate the charges, hits slower than that. So my question is: In a single target scenario, is the extra cost of suppressive fire worth it to set off the charges faster? Does the faster burst help, in any noticeable way, improve engi's somewhat lacking damage?

Or should I just get some alacrity and use speed shot?

Hope you are all well,

Cheers,

Bowtiejones

Glad to hear you are enjoying the spec :)

Personally I never use suppressive fire on a single target and I can't imagine a scenario where I would. I guess if your target was amongst a group of people you could if you wanted. I'm not a huge fan of that skill though so I stick with series of shots.

Regarding alacrity....couldn't say I'm too lazy with my gear to work out whether its better. I know a guild mate of mine has 7% alacrity and say it reduces the cool down by 1.2 secs bit that's not quite the info your after in this case.

pure math :

speed shot/ serie of shot --> 4 tics/3sec (with 0 alacrity) : 1tic/0.75sec

suppressive fire --> 9 tics/4.5sec (with 0 alacrity) one tic/0.5sec

so yes suppressive fire will tic faster and your explosive probe will detonate faster, technically.

1- suppressive fire is expensive.

2- an aoe doesn't follow your target when he moves, SoS will.

3- SoS can be boosted with utilities (restablish range and serie of snare)

Maybe if you have two melee against you, your probe one and cast suppressive fire to detonate faster and damage the second melee (after i suggest a roll and call for help :p).

and against a hidden ennem you can only damage using aoe, even if i prefer plasma probe in this case, because i can cast and move.

Edited by Thaladan

I use SF to set of EP charges only when

1) EP marked target moves behind a pillar, I use it to pressure them out

2) SoS is on CD but I want EP to go off (when stuns etc mess up rotation usually)

3) as a filler when multiple enemies are standing close together and have been hit/ are being hit by Plasma Probe (AoE damage increase +hinder for additional damage)

Things to consider:

over a gcd, SF does about as much damage to two targets as a snipe does to one; making it worthwhile to use if two or more people stand together. Especially if marked by the PP aoe debuff or with EC.

EP-SoS is still far more damaging to a single target

Never channel the full 4.5 seconds; go 1.5-3 seconds max. If you have more than three globals of filler you are doing something wrong, and in any event it uses to much energy

--I do admit I ignore this myself, when EP is on CD and the people I am fighting (3 or more) all sit in PP, then I actually spam SF until they get out of PP and use EC when it comes off, maybe a Int. P to stun if i'm being really disrespectfull; the pressure is amazing when people forget that standing in the fire is just as bad in PvP as it is in PvE. Never do this if Adrenaline probe is on CD though because then you f yourself.