Why are gunslingers the worst advanced class in ranked pvp?

Albertwang

They are terrible in solo ranked because they are so highly dependent on their team (not something that can be relied upon), but with a solid team of support *cough team ranked *cough* they can be extremely good. I have to agree with everyone else, your pvp officer doesn't understand the strengths of a sniper.

They're actually one of the best to play in team ranked with the right comp. Some of the best teams in this game have a MM sniper and focus on doing traditional brutal hard swaps. The meta is constantly changing in terms of different strategies, but sniper is really strong right now.

so, one spec strong in one category : ranked team arena.

ok ...i don't know exaclty the % of grouped ranked in the PvP environment but i think i can say it's not really an amazing statment for snipers.

They are currently not terrible in solo ranked. Not great, but not terrible. Considering merc/mando does not have a single spec that does well in solo ranked I would be thankful.

so, one spec strong in one category : ranked team arena.

ok ...i don't know exaclty the % of grouped ranked in the PvP environment but i think i can say it's not really an amazing statment for snipers.

All of the specs are strong in reg arenas. Sab Slinger currently the best parsing DPS spec in the game for PvE. Gunsliger/Sniper is in a great place right now.

Edited by Arehonn

Everyone hits like trucks these days. Snipers do no more damage than any other class. Look at the parses. Engineering is on top of raid parses by a tiny fraction because npcs are too stupid to move out of AoEs. All that damage goes out the window in a wz. Other than that, snipers are middle of the pack.

Saying that if a sniper had someone peeling, or guard, or healing or something else is exactly the point. They are not a complete pvp class. They are a gimped class that badly needs help like someone peeling or, better yet, a strong defensive CD, to survive and function in a warzone.

They are always the first class focused because they are easy kills.

Bioware tried the ridiculous and silly "glass cannon" archetype with sorcerers for years, telling sorcs they were "easy to play but hard to master" and could "heal to full"

Stubborn as they are, they continue similar nonsense with snipers/slingers.

The pvp officer is smart and being fair. Why saddle 3 other players with a liability?

I am repeating myself, but again, they have been dead last by a long shot for the last few seasons because they are garbage in pvp, not because they are some fantastic undiscovered class that no one knows about.

Edited by MotorCityMan

Everyone hits like trucks these days. Snipers do no more damage than any other class. Look at the parses. Engineering is on top of raid parses by a tiny fraction because npcs are too stupid to move out of AoEs. All that damage goes out the window in a wz. Other than that, snipers are middle of the pack.

Saying that if a sniper had someone peeling, or guard, or healing or something else is exactly the point. They are not a complete pvp class. They are a gimped class that badly needs help like someone peeling or, better yet, a strong defensive CD, to survive and function in a warzone.

They are always the first class focused because they are easy kills.

Bioware tried the ridiculous and silly "glass cannon" archetype with sorcerers for years, telling sorcs they were "easy to play but hard to master" and could "heal to full"

Stubborn as they are, they continue that nonsense with snipers/slingers.

The pvp officer is smart and being fair. Why saddle 3 other players with a liability?

I am repeating myself, but again, they have been dead last by a long shot for the last few seasons because they are garbage in pvp, not because they are some fantastic undiscovered class that no one knows about.

Snipers are above average in terms of dps and have always hit hard. Nothing about them is gimped they are a ranged version of maras excluding watchmen in terms of self sufficient.

Most important thing when it comes to snipers defensive cds is that they are pretty much the hardest in the game to use properly because they don't last long other then entrench/hunker down. Main reason snipers get hunted down first is that they have no healing outside of medpac. Even with all of this they are the best ranged dps in killing power so at least in solo ranked the first 20 seconds( now 40) nothing can stop you from dpsing other then another sniper los or another sniper

Snipers and Gunslingers have the hardest hiting ability in the game right now, specifically Marskman/Sharpshooter.

This is a new thing, as the update changed how crits work by introducing super crits. A super crit ambush/aimed shot does more damage than any other ability atm.

Also, while the rotation is easy the class is harder to play than most think. If you use your controlling and escape effects properly you can adapt to any situation.

Also, also, your "PvP Officer" is a fool.

Edited by TitusOfTides

In teresting that I only read here voices of "team ranked" players.

What about the other parts of PvP ?

In solo ranked, they are garbage, and in unranked, too.

Except lowbie PvP, maybe.

So, in that 1 % that is "team ranked", the Gunslinger shines - but ONLY because of the support !

Without support, the Gunslinger is *nothing* - hence bad at the 99 % rest of PvP.

Without support, the Gunslinger is *nothing* - hence bad at the 99 % rest of PvP.

Agree that Snipers are garbage in solo ranked but disagree that Snipers are garbage in unranked. Basically every spec and class out there is at least okay for unranked. Some top the damage board more easily or cap points more easily, but that's just how it is. Every Sniper spec is good for unranked and while it's harder to solo a node or score in Huttball than with other classes better suited for it, it's easy to do top damage if played correctly.

So, in that 1 % that is "team ranked", the Gunslinger shines - but ONLY because of the support !

They only stink in solo ranked pvp because teams don't tend to have a healer or tank and the norm is 4v4 in that match up its kill or be killed and most of the time a sniper can contribute a great deal to killing someone problem is your most likely going to die early because you have no source of self healing which leaves you to rely heavily on the rest o your team and its even less favorable for snipers if stealth or another sniper is present on the other team. As for reg warzone if your performing poorly you either have no healer, pew pewing from an awful position or just inexperienced. Snipers have practical no issues what so ever getting out amazing dps on a sniper its best to position like a healer near los points.

Another point is a ton of snipers are honestly awful see so many struggle with the basic mechanic of cover. Snipers are able to put out great overall damage/dps and bring trauma. Only really 2 main weakness snipers suffer from, #1 being self healing non existent and #2 roots, a rooted sniper rooted sniper is a dead sniper luckily they have a decent counter to that with seek cover utility.

The op specifically asked about team ranked, that's why everyone is referring to that

Ya, "If played correctly"..... like the devs said about sages/sorcs before they gave them a defensive CD "easy to play, hard to master". I still get a chuckle from that quote.

If you would only L2P, snipers/slingers would rocket up the leaderboards, to claim their rightful place among the pvp elite................Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

In the meantime, they are the bottom 3%, and the season before were at the bottom, and the season before that. Placing blame on a pvp officer for acting on the obvious is a little misplaced, eh?

Edited by MotorCityMan

In the meantime, they are the bottom 3%, and the season before were at the bottom, and the season before that. Placing blame on a pvp officer for acting on the obvious is a little misplaced, eh?

That is referring to how things were. How things ARE is much different now. We could base things off of how they were at launch, even, but 4.0 changed a lot. They have the highest burst now.

A bad Sniper/Slinger performs badly. A good one performs well. Even in solo.

Defending a "pvp officer" for using outdated information regarding the state of play is foolish too, but you're probably the same person.