Some basic questions from a new GSF player.

GavinBail

1) When I am in the map / ship selection screen there is a list of names some of them are dark green, some are light green, is this significant in any way? maybe indicating a group?

2) when a component has two options for an upgrade tier if you end up not liking the one you bought can you go back and buy the other one? If so could you then switch back to the original one?

3) I noticed one of the sensor systems mentions de-cloaking ships, but couldn't find any way to cloak a ship in the first place, what am I missing?

Not sure about 1), don't think it has any significance

With the tiers, you buy the tier. You can only have one selected, but you can change back and forth before queuing as much as you like.

And the stealth ships never got added, they were to be the 5th class, so anything involving stealth is pointless at the moment.

1) Those are just the parties within the operations group. If you queue with a 4-person premade, all 4 will end up in the same party and will be able to use /p to communicate with others of their party. When solo queueing it doesn't matter because everyone should use the ops chat.

3) De-cloaking should remove the dampening effects of the target. I'm not sure if it works or not, because it's irrelevant. If someone is close enough to de-cloak, his target usually shows up to everyone because of comm sensors.

Edited by Danalon

1) When I am in the map / ship selection screen there is a list of names some of them are dark green, some are light green, is this significant in any way? maybe indicating a group?

2) when a component has two options for an upgrade tier if you end up not liking the one you bought can you go back and buy the other one? If so could you then switch back to the original one?

3) I noticed one of the sensor systems mentions de-cloaking ships, but couldn't find any way to cloak a ship in the first place, what am I missing?

1) They show squads (group) within the bigger group (ops). Basically people who team beforehand are paired together, and there's a dedicated chat. But given the total absence of powers restricted to squad and the uselessness of the special chat (you will want to use the ops one, if you even have the time to type something - heck I don't even know what slash command to use), it has no incidence so to say.

2) You can switch between options as you wish. Buying the upgrade merely unlocks the level/tier of the component. You only have one active at a time, that's the only restriction.

3) It's a relic from the original design where there was planned to have stealth ship. Those have been "delayed indefinitely".

1) They show squads (group) within the bigger group (ops). Basically people who team beforehand are paired together, and there's a dedicated chat. But given the total absence of powers restricted to squad and the uselessness of the special chat (you will want to use the ops one, if you even have the time to type something - heck I don't even know what slash command to use), it has no incidence so to say.

2) You can switch between options as you wish. Buying the upgrade merely unlocks the level/tier of the component. You only have one active at a time, that's the only restriction.

3) It's a relic from the original design where there was planned to have stealth ship. Those have been "delayed indefinitely".

This.

Just to make clear on #2, though, you don't have to buy the other side at all. As soon as you unlock the level, you have access to both options.

Just to add a bit to answer your first question. The 3 other players with a different color are in your Squad. Squads have their own chat and can talk to each other independently of the Ops group. It also highlights your Squad members as much brighter green triangles on the map. This lets you easily find where your Squad members are on the map as compared to the others players on your team.

This can be very useful if you pay attention to what players in your squad are flying. You can press "M' to open the bigger map and see that all 3 of your Squad mates for example are flying Bombers and the rest of the group is on Scouts. With this information just from looking at the minimap you would know exactly where all your Bombers were and all your Scouts were.

It's a very advanced tactic as most players are really focused on just flying but it is useful.

As already stated, it was supposed to be the counter to the Stealth ship class that never got introduced to the game. I just wanted to point out that the Targetting Telemetry is still the best option despite this shortcoming. It's widely accepted as one of the most powerful components in the game even without that utility.