PvPer of old. Question on performance...

Timithori

Hello!

I recently started playing again and have been digging the new story. It seems Bioware has really knocked it out of the park when it comes to telling a good story. Performance in single player is really good (averaging 60+ everywhere), but for some reason when I step inside of a warzone my FPS just tanks. As soon as combat is engaged the framerate takes a very noticeable nosedive.

I've been talking with people on my server's general chat who tell me it's my computer that's to blame, but when I started playing the game in the beginning I was averaging 60 FPS in warzones without any issue at all. So my question is basically what is going on? Is there something wrong with my machine or did Bioware mess up the engine somewhere along the line and completely botch the performance of the game while in PvP?

Since I know it'll be asked, I currently run an I7 2600k (4.5ghz OC), 8GB of RAM, and a 290X graphics card.

I'd also like to say that it doesn't seem to matter what settings I set the game to. There is always a terrible dip in frame rate while in PvP. Story mode runs without a hitch and is very enjoyable, but I really liked the PvP and find it hard to get engaged again with the frame rate issues.

I hope someone can either help or shine some light on the topic.

Thank you!

I had some wierd freezes during pvp last night...and it might even been in pve...

What i did and i did not notice this freeze up anymore...both in 1 BG and in pve story mode...

I have a nvidia card...780gtx...I let the nvidi experience choose and optimize the swtor settings (they apply a set template) and in addition i manually turned ON triple buffering! Even thouh i dont play with vert sync on..play on 120 hertz...

Result...It seems like the freeze is gone!

How are swtor with the uses of shadows these days? Should we still turn them ALL OFF?

Since 3.0 the game engine has chugged. Its the shoddy coding found in the game UI. When you get a chance, turn it off and watch how you increase fps by 10-20 frames.

SWTOR is heavily focused on your CPU - not graphics cards - and I've heard stories of NASAs super computer struggling to get 50fps in a warzone.

Recently, Bioware claimed to have improved performance - R2 has sent the search parties out to find those answers

Hello!

I recently started playing again and have been digging the new story. It seems Bioware has really knocked it out of the park when it comes to telling a good story. Performance in single player is really good (averaging 60+ everywhere), but for some reason when I step inside of a warzone my FPS just tanks. As soon as combat is engaged the framerate takes a very noticeable nosedive.

I've been talking with people on my server's general chat who tell me it's my computer that's to blame, but when I started playing the game in the beginning I was averaging 60 FPS in warzones without any issue at all. So my question is basically what is going on? Is there something wrong with my machine or did Bioware mess up the engine somewhere along the line and completely botch the performance of the game while in PvP?

Since I know it'll be asked, I currently run an I7 2600k (4.5ghz OC), 8GB of RAM, and a 290X graphics card.

I'd also like to say that it doesn't seem to matter what settings I set the game to. There is always a terrible dip in frame rate while in PvP. Story mode runs without a hitch and is very enjoyable, but I really liked the PvP and find it hard to get engaged again with the frame rate issues.

I hope someone can either help or shine some light on the topic.

Thank you!

I know this makes no sense, but when I run everything on high in options, my graphics smooth out. When I started to alter stuff, lowering qualities of different things in the graphics options my framerate become choppy and bad. I have NO idea why. So, I run my settings on high on all, except grass that seems to be lowered and not cause any problems. It's counter-intuitive, but isn't a lot of this game? lol

I cant believe anyone who says he gets smooth FPS in this game. trolls imo. try any setting... nvidia panel bleh no difference

the problem are big ditches in FPS everywhere. from 110 to 40-30-20 fps as soon as you enter combat. it happens everywhere, its just most extreme in warzones.

just curious, are you using a wireless or cable internet connection?

my problem was not the low fps per say..it was 0.5 sec..or even just 0.1 sec freezes. Everything stopped..no movement what so ever..it happened in swtor..and also..to my great surprise..i noticed first time playing wow ..i think i noticed it 1 year ago...

I dont think i noticed in any shooter games.....

But all of that time i have never used the triple buffering....and maybe I need to use that onthe card i have...

I have loads of ram both on my graphic card and other ram so i guess there is no downside to using it.

It might also be that my graphic card start to tell me something...that it want to forever sleep..but...we shall see..

my problem was not the low fps per say..it was 0.5 sec..or even just 0.1 sec freezes. Everything stopped..no movement what so ever..it happened in swtor..and also..to my great surprise..i noticed first time playing wow ..i think i noticed it 1 year ago...

I dont think i noticed in any shooter games.....

But all of that time i have never used the triple buffering....and maybe I need to use that onthe card i have...

I have loads of ram both on my graphic card and other ram so i guess there is no downside to using it.

It might also be that my graphic card start to tell me something...that it want to forever sleep..but...we shall see..

That's different to the fps issues here. I would ensure that your PC is not over heating. Google 'Speccy' I think, its a system monitor and can tell you how hot your machine is when running games.

Check for dust too, give the fans a clean if it is. (but be VERY careful. turn the power off and be gentle)

That's different to the fps issues here. I would ensure that your PC is not over heating. Google 'Speccy' I think, its a system monitor and can tell you how hot your machine is when running games.

Check for dust too, give the fans a clean if it is. (but be VERY careful. turn the power off and be gentle)

yea..it might be heat...ty for tips i might dowload such a system monitor:)

BUT....I dont have the freezes anymore it seems...by turning on the triple buffering...but still....i might have a heat problem too...

and i also think i notice that pvp in this game is more sluggish than E.g WOW pvp...

Edited by runar_smugler