Shortcuts for companion role change

ShawDou

Hi,

i would like to suggest new shortcuts for companion role changing. I like to change my companion roles based on situation i am it, but clicking through menu all the time is a bit annoying at least. When you gave us this possibility to change roles could you at least let us switch them with single push of button?

• 5 months later...
Oh I've wanted them to create a hotkey for it, since they made role swaps possible, I just don't ever see it happening :(

I also have no idea why they created new UI for role swapping. If they used the same one like before, when companion role could be swapped by his quickbar. Then this would be without problems because companion quickbar already have key shortcuts :(

Funny is, companion quickbar has now 7 skills, while in settings there are still 12 shortcuts. They could easy use 3 of these to implement role change. I dont believe mapping existing shortcuts to some game actions (specially menu click) is that hard.

Yeah, no problem at all, I wonder if theres people out there that don't realise you can do it this way? :D

I do that currently, but there's a huge difference between clicking something with your mouse, and hitting a button. I mean you don't raid by clicking stuff with your mouse button do you?

I do that currently, but there's a huge difference between clicking something with your mouse, and hitting a button. I mean you don't raid by clicking stuff with your mouse button do you?

Exactly, i like to play with DPS companion and when i am on low heal switch him to heal so i dont have to regen. During heroics with guardian or sentinel i do this often, shortcut possibility would help a LOT.

IMO this is was the conscious decision on the devs' part to not have it hot key-able.

Think about this scenario:

switch comp to DPS/Tank do a fight,

switch to healing you get healed while moving to next fight

switch to DPS/Tank and do another fight

You would effectively have a DPS/Tank AND heal companion at the same time.

By having to move the mouse to the portrait and right click and mouse over role selection and then move the mouse to the sub menu and click the role you want, the above is less likely to happen.

No, but you can't change them in combat, and for me it's so very rare that I do, I think i've changed one companions roll once since 4.0 dropped, and that was when I was soloing Lurkers in the rakghoul tunnels.

Hey, i'm not against the idea, I was agreeing with the other poster saying it's not a big deal, as I find it hard to believe there's enough challenging content in this game to require micro managing the comps to the degree that a hotkey be warranted.

IMO this is was the conscious decision on the devs' part to not have it hot key-able.

Think about this scenario:

switch comp to DPS/Tank do a fight,

switch to healing you get healed while moving to next fight

switch to DPS/Tank and do another fight

You would effectively have a DPS/Tank AND heal companion at the same time.

By having to move the mouse to the portrait and right click and mouse over role selection and then move the mouse to the sub menu and click the role you want, the above is less likely to happen.

So much wrong with this assertion, I don't know where to begin.. First off, it is not dps/tank and healing at the same time because you cannot change in the middle of the fight; In-combat and out-of-combat are not the "same time". Second, being able to switch between companion roles is exactly intended by the devs, which is why they made all companions able to do any role, so the theoretical scenario you listed is not a 'problem' that needs discouraging.

What the OP is asking for is a simple QOL UI change. Most people are not actively choosing the companion abilities to use, so many people would rather replace those ability buttons in the hotbar with stance/role buttons. It would be a lot more convenient than right-click, hover over the role selection till the submenu pops up, and then carefully hover over the submenu listings to click again to pick the right role.

Edited by HeatRacer

I was going to reply but HeatRacer hit the nail on the head so + 1 to him or her.

as I find it hard to believe there's enough challenging content in this game to require micro managing the comps to the degree that a hotkey be warranted.

It has 0 to do with content being hard. It's a QoL change, that some of us would greatly appreciate.

As a random side note for instance. There is a legacy unlock that let's you mount up while running. Could I wait the 1 second that it normally takes to mount while standing still? Of course. However even if I had to buy that unlock on all of my alts I would do so because saving time is that important to me. Same thing here, I would much rather hit a button and not worry about it, then click crap with my mouse. I'm willing to bet anyone with that unlock knows exactly how I feel.

Edited by Setta

I was going to reply but HeatRacer hit the nail on the head so + 1 to him or her.

It has 0 to do with content being hard. It's a QoL change, that some of us would greatly appreciate.

As a random side note for instance. There is a legacy unlock that let's you mount up while running. Could I wait the 1 second that it normally takes to mount while standing still? Of course. However even if I had to buy that unlock on all of my alts I would do so because saving time is that important to me. Same thing here, I would much rather hit a button and not worry about it, then click crap with my mouse. I'm willing to bet anyone with that unlock knows exactly how I feel.

Yes i remember that unlock, i bought it the day it came online and it has been one of the better investments in game :)

Yes i remember that unlock, i bought it the day it came online and it has been one of the better investments in game :)

Amen to that. That and Rocket Boots (for places where you can't mount) when they first came out. Still 2 of the best unlocks of the legacy system imo.

Amen to that. That and Rocket Boots (for places where you can't mount) when they first came out. Still 2 of the best unlocks of the legacy system imo.

Tru dat! Even back in the day, when the 2 million creds for the unlock plus whatever you pay for the CD reduction was actually a lot of money.

OT - yea, I'd also appreciate a shortcut for companion roles.