The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Video Proof that Companions are Too powerful! KOTFE

DaForceiswithme

All the support for the current state of combat is proving is that MMO gaming as we used to know it is going to face a slow and ugly death.

What we will be left with is less game and more interactive movie such as KoTFE.

What I don't get is why even bother having mobs, elites etc. etc. if they were going to be so inconsequential that your companion can beat them solo?

There are no rewards to be gained, no exp to be gained after 65- there is just no point.

Might as well as just have had boss fight to boss fight except they needed the game chapters to seem artificially longer than they actually are so they added in a "chore" for people to do which they are lapping up.

Makes me see why games like Disney infinity succeed which is pretty much what this game has become now with a slightly higher rating ( Teen or whatever it is ).

Having finished the new story content I can say the story is the best I've come across in this game to date but the crap filler has really put me off wanting to ever try running it on a non stealth character.

Love new companions/game easiness or hate it ... as it stands there is no point in putting mobs into this game anymore as it stands ... it's just a waste of your time because even the exp they granted before hitting 65 was moot because the game will always make you 65 by chapter 6 start.

If they are going to continue down this path of lack of ANY difficulty I seriously hope they revisit their thinking around development resources wasted into mobs etc. and refocus that development into something else that can still be fun even though the game is so mind numbingly easy.

As to the "just dismiss your companion" crowd, no one should have to do that just to feel like slightly challenged. The entire expansion was designed around companions, their stories, our relationship with them etc. If we then have to do it all solo to actually feel like we're playing a game what was the point in that focus?

It's old "gameplay versus story" then? My problem is, if I want story, i go and watch movie or read a book. I don't come into game for story. It's good to have one, shure, and it will definetely give me reason to play more. But ultimatley, I come for gameplay. And if it sucks, no amount of story will keep me.

And here we argue with people who, for some reason I can't understand, want to have story-only in a computer game. Why not remove gameplay at all then, and turn TOR into interactive web-series? Is this really something modern gamers prefer? It's somewhat of a riddle to me

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

isn't that a little hypercritical? you telling me that i should have to change the way I play because something is broken?

you are telling everyone else that they should change the way they play because you assume that something is broken. and you still havent shown us what your presence is. do you have something to hide?

Here is a possible solution. Make the bonus that you receive for all 8 cleared stories a Legacy unlock. The removal of that bonus should provide players that wish it some relief. Also, you could have diminishing returns but DRASTICALLY increase bonus presence from legacy unlocks.

This would keep companions as they are for those that like it that way (with the purchase of some unlocks), keep them exactly the same at very low to mid level (under 45), and still provide players with a companion that is 3.0 if they so desire it.

They could also simply decide which companion would need more influence or not ? you dont want a too powerful companion, stop raising influence.

Maybe some people who are so obsessed with this should simply play another game. Things are fine. People are literally obsessed with companion stats. I suggest to them perhaps trying another game. Because this company will lose many subs by changing things back to where they were. The people have spoken in the polls/video. We like less grindy more into the story more fun less dying at four random mobs. Why is so hard to understand.

It's old "gameplay versus story" then? My problem is, if I want story, i go and watch movie or read a book. I don't come into game for story. It's good to have one, shure, and it will definetely give me reason to play more. But ultimatley, I come for gameplay. And if it sucks, no amount of story will keep me.

And here we argue with people who, for some reason I can't understand, want to have story-only in a computer game. Why not remove gameplay at all then, and turn TOR into interactive web-series? Is this really something modern gamers prefer? It's somewhat of a riddle to me

Maybe i read this wrong... if i do ...i am sorry.

To me it appears that the writer (and the one he responds to) equate game-play with erasing NPCs. and clubbing things in the game. If this is the case i would suggest seriously to engage in PvP play. Plenty of clubbing there and plenty of challenge.

To me PvE games were and are always first about the Story... the fighting computer-pixel-people comes last and is more of a nuisance on the way (for me) to achieve what I wish to achieve.

To make it clearer what i mean... One title gained as an achievement (to me) is more worth then clubbing a 1000 pixel NPCs.

If you click on your companions image there is a option to DISMISS COMPANION. if you think they are too OP then dismiss them and do everything yourself. Problem solved.

As to the "just dismiss your companion" crowd, no one should have to do that just to feel like slightly challenged. The entire expansion was designed around companions, their stories, our relationship with them etc. If we then have to do it all solo to actually feel like we're playing a game what was the point in that focus?

Heh, nice comprehension skills demonstrated there.

Here is a possible solution. Make the bonus that you receive for all 8 cleared stories a Legacy unlock. The removal of that bonus should provide players that wish it some relief. Also, you could have diminishing returns but DRASTICALLY increase bonus presence from legacy unlocks.

This would keep companions as they are for those that like it that way (with the purchase of some unlocks), keep them exactly the same at very low to mid level (under 45), and still provide players with a companion that is 3.0 if they so desire it.

I'm happy for any sort of compromise that takes the game off more or less auto play but lets me still use my companion as the story dictates.

They could also simply decide which companion would need more influence or not ? you dont want a too powerful companion, stop raising influence.

Level 0 influence is too powerful, that's the problem. I hate to imagine what level 50 is like but looking at some of the parses etc. coming in ... lol ... a shame there isn't a form of director mode for companions, we'd never need run anything ourselves.

Edited by MeNaCe-NZ

Maybe some people who are so obsessed with this should simply play another game. Things are fine. People are literally obsessed with companion stats. I suggest to them perhaps trying another game. Because this company will lose many subs by changing things back to where they were. The people have spoken in the polls/video. We like less grindy more into the story more fun less dying at four random mobs. Why is so hard to understand.

Ah the ole "don't like it leave" argument. *yawn*

Just because you are incapable of constructive discussion in the hopes of finding some good common ground and possibly have Bioware pick up on it ( as opposed to doing nothing or nerfnuking it as they are prone to do meaning either way there are aspects of the community who are at a loss ) doesn't mean people shouldn't discuss it and take issue with it. If you don't like what's being said either put up your view etc. or be quiet - telling people they should play something else because they are unhappy with a gameplay change is just rather sad and gets us nowhere.

To me it appears that the writer (and the one he responds to) equate game-play with erasing NPCs. and clubbing things in the game. If this is the case i would suggest seriously to engage in PvP play. Plenty of clubbing there and plenty of challenge.

To me PvE games were and are always first about the Story... the fighting computer-pixel-people comes last and is more of a nuisance on the way (for me) to achieve what I wish to achieve.

To make it clearer what i mean... One title gained as an achievement (to me) is more worth then clubbing a 1000 pixel NPCs.

So why bother having a game then if you feel this way? You are basically saying you would prefer an interactive pick a path movie? That's fine too, at least it would g et rid of the worthless grinding and disguised content we have now.

They could ideally spend all those development resources on these new planets etc. on more story, decisions etc. which would be great.

After all no real point in having these "worlds" if it's just for grind and something to look at while you mundanely walk through to the next point of interest ( story i.e. cutscene ).

Ah the ole "don't like it leave" argument. *yawn*

Just because you are incapable of constructive discussion in the hopes of finding some good common ground and possibly have Bioware pick up on it ( as opposed to doing nothing or nerfnuking it as they are prone to do meaning either way there are aspects of the community who are at a loss ) doesn't mean people shouldn't discuss it and take issue with it. If you don't like what's being said either put up your view etc. or be quiet - telling people they should play something else because they are unhappy with a gameplay change is just rather sad and gets us nowhere.

Is that what we're calling it. Constructive. Okay lets review. People complained about the changes. They sarcastically talked about "we're the companions in the game" then they sarcastically asked in several different ways "Would you rather be stronger or your companion be stronger." There is nothing constructive about the ways it was asked. It was answered SEVERAL TIMES. A poll was even done that was supposed show how much the community hated it even that backfired.

There are alternatives that is"dismissing your companion" its like the conversation is going in a circle I have seen nothing new added expect people posting videos claiming that a companion is soloing an elite. If there was anything constructive about sarcastically talking about how OP are. I must have missed it. You are right. I am going to take a break from posting here. Its just frustrating when you see the same people asking the same questions that have been answered.

It's like the sole and only purpose is to complain on here. I am amazed personally how long people have kept it going. You tried asking it in different ways. You tried mocking it posting a video. Even a poll that backfired. I just must be missing the overall point that's supposed prove everyone wrong and side with you. It sounds much like just ************. I'll take a breather here and let you repeat yourself as long as you want.

Is that what we're calling it. Constructive. Okay lets review. People complained about the changes. They sarcastically talked about "we're the companions in the game" then they sarcastically asked in several different ways "Would you rather be stronger or your companion be stronger." There is nothing constructive about the ways it was asked. It was answered SEVERAL TIMES. A poll was even done that was supposed show how much the community hated it even that backfired.

I tend not to care for polls or video's - I've played the game I know how stupidly easy it is now ... I almost feel like using the word easy is misplaced because easy at least implies there is some challenge but I guess "walking" can be considered as an "easy" means of moving for most.

If you have so much angst against those that show angst you are no better than those showing angst, maybe you should take a form of your own advice and leave the forums and go back to playing the game if that's the case?

No one is forcing you to reply to the type of posters you outlined after all. You get to pick and choose who and what you reply to, no need to endeavour to generalise all posters against this change into one group.

There are alternatives that is"dismissing your companion"

its like the conversation is going in a circle I have seen nothing new added expect people posting videos claiming that a companion is soloing an elite.

I told you, I shouldn't have to do that to play a game as game as opposed to an interactive movie. This expansion story is designed around companions so removing them is rather immersion breaking. This is shown by the fact I can't even change which companion I use for most of the story ( and being unable to even initiate discussions without having the set companion with me at times ) which tells me BW intended the content to have companions.

It's like the sole and only purpose is to complain on here. I am amazed personally how long people have kept it going.

Welcome to the forums. :)

You tried asking it in different ways. You tried mocking it posting a video. Even a poll that backfired. I just must be missing the overall point that's supposed prove everyone wrong and side with you. It sounds much like just ************. I'll take a breather here and let you repeat yourself as long as you want

Yes because I did those things heh ... you end up looking rather foolish ( along with anything else you've said accordingly ) when you state people did things they clearly didn't do.

Companions could do that before being well geared. Next? Oh btw, It is not getting nerfed.

The BS is strong in this one.

The companions are basicly unkillable now. I actuelly havn't seen a single companion die in the new expansion.

Nor have I. I just stand there. Hell I can actuelly AFK in the fight, have my companion set on healing, and I'll be just fine.

I think the real telling thing here is that people who want the companions to stay overpowered all seem to actually hate the combat. I don't think anyone is arguing that companions are not overpowered. Post after post from them is about having powerful companions makes the poor/tedious combat go faster so it is better for the game, it's the only argument I have seen from them after reading all these threads.

The combat should simply not be designed for people who hate the combat. I do like the story and believe it adds significantly to the game, it is only a small percent of the time players spend on the game. So much of the devs time and effort goes into the combat mechanics and at the moment all the SPer combat seems completely pointless.

I wish the devs would comment on this.

Edited by Malake

Well, there is more to the gameplay here then just erasing NPC (becouse i can see why some people think TOR combat system sucks). Grouping for example. My best experience in entire 4.0 comes from fleet datacron run, when we spend 2 hours with people I've never met previously, thinking on the puzzle, chatting, joking, trying and adapting our tactics.

If we talk about single-player games, let's use first Dragon Age for example. It's combat was difficult, and while you can boil it down to "erasing NPCs", the process of it was difficult, challenging... and rewarding, when finally done right. The feeling of epicness from first high dragon kill (and the thrill of actually planning the fight). And then it got augmented by story, which told you how important it was to kill that dragon and how your character is praised now. Oneshoting that dragon and then watching cutscene would never give me that feeling.

Guess I overplayed Heroes 3 and Morrowind in my childhood, where story was... somewhere else. And you look like you overplayed Heavy Rain :rak_09:

The BS is strong in this one.

The companions are basicly unkillable now. I actuelly havn't seen a single companion die in the new expansion.

Nor have I. I just stand there. Hell I can actuelly AFK in the fight, have my companion set on healing, and I'll be just fine.

Or maybe just maybe you did not have enough stats or gear for yours. It is ok, common mistake. This thread BS has you confused.

Forget more of a challenge. Lets start with a little challenge. She tanked everything and barley took any damage. How can you say i should take my armor off? They didn't even attack me so that didn't come into play.

What does changing my weapon do? oh right absolutely nothing.

Here's a novel idea, put your companion away. They're going to get stronger the more influence you have over them.

I actually like it when my tank doesn't die every fight.

Another QQ topic.....siriusly because fo those whom came up here and cry us a river, about the game they should quit playing this game, because of you this game is way over nerfed as it should be. comps are supose to be this strongs, if you dont like them don't use them. Edited by YodaUnrea

I think the real telling thing here is that people who want the companions to stay overpowered all seem to actually hate the combat. I don't think anyone is arguing that companions are not overpowered. Post after post from them is about having powerful companions makes the poor/tedious combat go faster so it is better for the game, it's the only argument I have seen from them after reading all these threads.

The combat should simply not be designed for people who hate the combat. I do like the story and believe it adds significantly to the game, it is only a small percent of the time players spend on the game. So much of the devs time and effort goes into the combat mechanics and at the moment all the SPer combat seems completely pointless.

I wish the devs would comment on this.

I'm fine with the combat and I don't think t he companions need a nerf. I want to go to any lower level planet and still blow through stuff even with level sync like I did before.

Aggro too much and there will still be issues while doing heroics. I've killed Lana twice now, once today on Oricon when I aggro'ed a huge mob and a roaming boss at the same time. Lana was set to heals and the mob killed her quickly then took me out.

The other was me trying to solo the Star Fortress heroic, which the final boss raped me.

The companions get stronger the more influence you have over them.

Another QQ topic.....siriusly because fo those whom came up here and cry us a river, about the game they should quit playing this game, because of you this game is way over nerfed as it should be. comps are supose to be this strongs, if you dont like them don't use them.

Exactly QQ All day long. I bet their keyboards are soaked with their tears.