gearing up

ggregoriou

Hi all,

So it seems as I thought I knew how to gear up, I really don't at all,

We were doing a group and the other person asked me why I am wearing healing and dps gear for a tank, I looked and it says on some gear 'healer'..etc but when you buy from the vednors it does not say that at all,

How can I tell which gear is meant for dps and so on with out buying it?

TIA

Hi all,

So it seems as I thought I knew how to gear up, I really don't at all,

We were doing a group and the other person asked me why I am wearing healing and dps gear for a tank, I looked and it says on some gear 'healer'..etc but when you buy from the vednors it does not say that at all,

How can I tell which gear is meant for dps and so on with out buying it?

TIA

Everyone uses Mastery now and endurance. As a tank you will want higher endurance over mastery, you will want Shield rating, absorption etc, rather then power and crit. Hope that helps a little :)

Everyone uses Mastery now and endurance. As a tank you will want higher endurance over mastery, you will want Shield rating, absorption etc, rather then power and crit. Hope that helps a little :)

ty, it does a lot, so any gear with that is tank gear, what should it say on my gear so I know its tank?

What class / spec are you playing as?

the character is a tank but i have all available sith and jedi,

if a healer has dps and healer gear is that good or bad?

ty, it does a lot, so any gear with that is tank gear, what should it say on my gear so I know its tank?

the character is a tank but i have all available sith and jedi,

if a healer has dps and healer gear is that good or bad?

Don't worry about the names right now. DPS and heals will use very similar gear (just dps will have Accuracy), so a dps in "heal" gear is not neccessarilly doing something wrong. For you though, as a tank look at the stats for what you are wearing. If it has defense/absorb/shield, you have the correct thing. Otherwise, its the wrong thing. Every single one of your pieces should have those.

Don't worry about the names right now. DPS and heals will use very similar gear (just dps will have Accuracy), so a dps in "heal" gear is not neccessarilly doing something wrong. For you though, as a tank look at the stats for what you are wearing. If it has defense/absorb/shield, you have the correct thing. Otherwise, its the wrong thing. Every single one of your pieces should have those.

I wasted a lot of crystals buying gear that turned out to be wrong and some I could not get my crystals back as I took too long to find out I chose bad gear for my tank, now hes nearly naked and I have to try continue KOTFE and hopefully pick the right gear,

the pack options for rewards the force pack I believe is dps and the other tank?

am trying to lvl up and be able to play ops, I think I did it right and then changed gear because I saw all green stats and figured it was better lol because I did a few ops missions to save crystals and did not have a problem

Basic rules:

Tank gear has higher Endurance than Mastery.

DPS & Healer gear have higher Mastery than Endurance.

But more importantly, and more easily seen:

Tank gear will have one or more of the defensive stats: Defense, Shield, Absorb. If it doesn't have one of those, it is probably NOT Tank gear.*

* except at maybe the very lowest levels before gear starts adding these stats

(Defense = chance to negate an attack, Shield = chance to reduce dmg on an attack, with Absorb relating to the amount of dmg reduction if the Shield chance is successful).

As in a previous reply: heal and DPS are pretty similar. But in general:

DPS will favor Accuracy as a secondary (tertiary?) stat.

Healer will use Alacrity (since all heals are successful, no need for accuracy).

Names can get confusing. But if it has "defense" in the name, you can bank on it being for a tank. But that's only a small subset of tank gear.

Basic rules:

Tank gear has higher Endurance than Mastery.

DPS & Healer gear have higher Mastery than Endurance.

Tank gear will have one or more of the defensive stats: Defense, Shield, Absorb. If it doesn't have one of those, it is probably NOT Tank gear.*

* except at maybe the very lowest levels before gear starts adding these stats

(Defense = chance to negate an attack, Shield = chance to reduce dmg on an attack, with Absorb relating to the amount of dmg reduction if the Shield chance is successful).

As in a previous reply: heal and DPS are pretty similar. But in general:

DPS will favor Accuracy as a secondary (tertiary?) stat.

Healer will use Alacrity (since all heals are successful, no need for accuracy).

Names can get confusing. But if it has "defense" in the name, you can bank on it being for a tank. But that's only a small subset of tank gear.

with the relics, for my sorc, which one should I go for? one with mastery? but then the power is in red, but I assume I should go for that one over ones that give me higher endurance?

thanks a lot, that really helps, I could not for the life of me find the sorc gear on the fleet, you get the stuff you pick up like the packs and its clearly labelled but getting better gear I would always wind up with wrong gear, so thanks again,

Saved up a lot of crystals so I should be able to get some good gear, I would always just see green in the stats and buy it with out realising its not even the correct gear, or see the rating, I had all 200+ rating on my tank to find out it was healer and dps gear lol

then on my sorc I had dps gear... your replies should put an end to that now lol makes me feel stupid in ops and fp's now I should be fine

it would of been nice if in the vendors it would say tank vendor etc lol for noobs like me :D

Edited by ggregoriou

I wasted a lot of crystals buying gear that turned out to be wrong and some I could not get my crystals back as I took too long to find out I chose bad gear for my tank, now hes nearly naked and I have to try continue KOTFE and hopefully pick the right gear,

[Emphasis added by me]

It is better to use dps/healer gear as a tank than no gear at all. So don't throw the dps/healer gear away. Keep using it until you have tank gear to replace it with.

Edited by Dragondog

[Emphasis added by me]

It is better to use dps/healer gear as a tank than no gear at all. So don't throw the dps/healer gear away. Keep using it until you have tank gear to replace it with.

agreed! as only in fp's I struggled, during class missions I was fine...

it takes forever to save those cyrstals and you get hardly any gear as well, there must be a better way to save a tone of crystals then doing fps and ops over and over and the reward is very little...

I think with sorc and sage healers I got the hang of gearing them up, those are now my two best characters as well with much better equipment and legacy items

This - I would check for lvl 61 green items on the GTN (if you're into KOTFE already) - you can usually grab a whole set of newer expansion items for under 10k a piece. Look for anything with Defense / Shield / Absorb and you would be "good enough" in my Book for sure.

my sith assassin is pretty good after todays game play, 65 relic and chose my items with that post in mind, I just need a good light saber and one more 65 relic that will take forever to save the crystals, it helped that I already had 750 basic crystals and 260 medium ones to buy a decent relic for my assassin.

there are no double light sabres though, but I found some 64 lvl doubles on the GTN, expenssive but good,

Everything I equipped for my tank has worked well, I tried a fp and it was really easy compared to with wrong gear how hard it was.

thanks for your tips it really helped,

I am doing KOTFE on all 10 characters and have most of them at lvl 65, I rushed through most of them on 12xp just to get to lvl 60 at the time not really learning how to gear properly before then :/

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.