[Contains Spoilers for Chapter 9!] Choice of recruitable companions - srsly?

HomerMorisson

Dear Devs... why oh why did you decide to drop Khem Val in favor of Qyzen Fess?

One is the devourer of worlds, a member of a legendary race of Force User-killers - while the other one is an inept lizard that gets himself caught within the first minutes of Consular gameplay, also nowhere near as nicely designed as Khem, nowhere near as special in terms of race or background.

How could you honestly drop one of the coolest, most unique companions SWTOR had to offer?

In favor of a boring, nowhere near as special or interesting walking lizard?

--

Also, while on the subject of bad decisions... KotFE is supposed to be a PvE Addon, and I really loved(!) the story, I really love the Alliance system - but:

What gives with Major Pierce... why am I being forced to do 20 matches of PvP to unlock a PvE companion that can only be used in PvE content?!

I personally hate PvP - I suck at it, I don't enjoy it, I don't want to play it.

So basically, I'm fat out of luck with Pierce... either I suffer through twenty(!) rounds of completely unwanted and unenjoyable gameplay that has no relevance whatsoever to the addon or my alliance, or I won't be able to recruit Pierce... again: What gives?!

Edited by HomerMorisson

In general they seemed to have weird ideas when picking which companions to "bring back". For the most part it's all minor characters, and for the most part not the romancing characters for each class. Kind of disappointing. I really hope there is a "grand plan" to all of this.

In general they seemed to have weird ideas when picking which companions to "bring back". For the most part it's all minor characters, and for the most part not the romancing characters for each class. Kind of disappointing. I really hope there is a "grand plan" to all of this.

The major romance characters' voice actors/actresses probably didn't want to come back. Eventually I can see them finding a way to drop the voice acting on the player.

It was always destined to be an issue - and I had concerns over it pretty much when the game launched, how can they know the cast will want to stick around for an MMO, a genre which usually persists for a decade or longer.

I haven't got early access, but I'm going to have a guess at assuming this expansion is the highest profile yet, but still pales in production quality compared to the vanilla game. The game did nowhere near as well as hoped, and as such the budget is nothing for the expansions as was originally intended, and it shows. Not that I find all of this agreeable, indeed it frustrates me that games such as this had an almost impossible task of competing with 'the other game', which in my eyes is massively inferior to this, and indeed most other MMORPGs.

eventually they want to put all companions as recruitable. but till then we are doomed.

The major romance characters' voice actors/actresses probably didn't want to come back. Eventually I can see them finding a way to drop the voice acting on the player.

It was always destined to be an issue - and I had concerns over it pretty much when the game launched, how can they know the cast will want to stick around for an MMO, a genre which usually persists for a decade or longer.

Just off the top of my head, that includes Laura Bailey, Tara Strong, Steve Blum...

Yeah I can see them having other things on their mind. But we still have the likes of Jennifer Hale, Jo Wyatt, David Hayter (even if it sounds like the guy).

Edited by Librarin_Solu

If the original voice actor didn't want to come back, that's hardly a serious reason not to bring back a companion. If Looney Tunes characters and Kermit the Frog can be voiced by someone else after the deaths of icons like Mel Blanc and Jim Henson it shouldn't be too hard to find another voice actor that can do the same voice of one of our companions.

If the original voice actor didn't want to come back, that's hardly a serious reason not to bring back a companion. If Looney Tunes characters and Kermit the Frog can be voiced by someone else after the deaths of icons like Mel Blanc and Jim Henson it shouldn't be too hard to find another voice actor that can do the same voice of one of our companions.

Yeah, they already replaced Vik's actor when he passed away, so I'm sure some actors refusing to return won't be that much of a problem, hell, it would probably cost less if they get lesser known talent.

First, its only the first 9 chapters. There are more coming, and so more possible companion unlocks. Perhaps the ones they are doing from the 'originals' are easier to do for some reason. (I noticed that most of them are ranged with guns, rifles, and pistols, I think there are only 2 or 3 that have a light saber).

As for the "why the pvp unlock for one companion", then its the same question to ask...:

*why do we have to do a quest to unlock a companion (HK)" or

"Why do we have to pay cartel coins to unlock a companion (Treek)" or

"Why do I have to buy a cartel pack to get a companion (Akk dog)" or

"Why do we have to have to have paid for Early Access to get a limited companion (Nico)"

It simple. Just something different. Yes, its 20 matches played, not won..played. If your team wins, you get an extra point to perhaps getting it down to only playing minimum 10 matches. Play hard, and the time to unlock is shorter, sometimes people will stand there and refuse. Perhaps people will vote-kick them out.

We all know no companion is more powerful than the others now, they all can do 3 roles, and their damage output is roughly the same. Unless your favorite companion of all time is that one, or you are a completionist, then does it really matter? You will still have to raise affection.

I'm just waiting for people to complain in a couple weeks they dont get the Early Access companion because they didnt subscribe, and feel they are slighted...or they didnt roll to get the Akk dog.

As for the PVP matches, just play. I dont pvp, but will do it, and play. Perhaps it will get me to want to play more, if not then all I've lost is about an hour of game time.

Edited by Taurax