Watchman Rotation 4.0

EenVooral

*Edited:

Please refer to Oofalong's excellent Watchman Guide 4.0 that can be found here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=844786

Thanks to all who responded/viewed the original thread! But wanted to delete the info and refer to Oofalong's Guide as it is optimal for understanding the spec, rotation priorities and gearing. Thus, I didn't want the information I initially provided to confuse players as to the optimal rotation/stats for Watchman 4.0.

Thanks again, happy killing stuff! ;)

(BW: Please delete this thread at your earliest convenience. Thank you!)

Edited by EenVooral
Better Information in another post within the Class Forums. Pls delete this thread - outdated information

I almost feel like stacking enough alacrity for 100% force melt uptime would be interesting. That would be a ******** of alacrity though. Are there sims for swtor?

It's actually impossible! 9 second duration, 12 second cooldown requires reducing the cooldown to 9 seconds for 100% uptime. Even with 30% alacrity (which is unattainable, btw, due to being the actual hard-cap at infinite alacrity rating), the lowest you can get the CD on melt is 9.23 seconds. Remember, that's with infinite alacrity rating. With some enormously large, but still finite amount (let's say, around 3k rating), you would have around 21.42% alacrity, which translates into a force melt CD of 9.88 seconds. And that's with literally all of your tertiary stat budget put into alacrity!

tl;dr: It ain't happening.

In addition to what KBN said, you also gotta remember that DoT's now have their duration shortened by alacrity (still does the same total damage), so even with infinite alacrity you'd only have 75% force melt uptime.

Correct. Although Alacrity is still a flat % DPS increase even with this being true. And in my opinion DoT heavy classes see a slightly better benefit from alacrity than less DoT heavy builds.

So, just got my Sent to 65, thought I'd share my rotation that I'm using thus far as I'm seeing/hearing a lot of discord over the changes (especially the unannounced ones). It's a bit clunky, but I have to admit so far better than 3.0's true clunkiness. :) While my Sent is my main, I am by no means the best or prob even the upper tier of Sents/Maras...but at least wanted to provide a basis for the conversation moving forward..i.e., until El'ethon and Oofalong can tell me everything I'm doing wrong! lol! :) But for now at least, I'm finding this rotation working really well:

Rotation

Leap + OS

Force Melt

Zealous Strike

Merciless Slash

Inspiration/VC/Zen/Adrenal

Cauaterize

Blade Dance (will take time to get used to that name!)

TST

Cauterize + OS

Slash

Force Melt

...then into the priority list of

Melt

Merc Slash

Cauterize

Blade Dance

With this rotation, I am finding that you will be using slash a lot more often, which I think is intended since there is now a chance for a proc to Slash (and Dispatch) from Merciless Slash. As for the new ability Blade Blitz, I haven't parsed with it and prob won't...have just used it as a gap closer so far while questing. One thing of note: I am toying with prioritizing Cauterize over Merc Slash both in the opener as well as in the rotation...since Accelerating Victory has been reworked. Just wanted to mention it. Will have to play around with that a bit.

Note on Gear

As for gear, right now since I'm still in mostly 198s/192s with some vendor items (220 OH, 216 Ear/Implants/waist), I'm keeping the Crit Multiplier at/above 60%. Right now, I'm at 61.77% crit multiplier, which also equates to (wait for it...lol) a 682 crit rating (31.88% crit chance). I tried more alacrity first, but found dmg to actually be lower with the crit mullti under 60%....but with better gear, that may change. As for Alacrity, I currently have 260 points (3.08%), just fyi.

Conclusion

I hope this helps, at least in some way, until the true Masters of the Sentinel/Mara Class (I'm looking at you El'ethon and Oofa!!!) ;) have a chance to give us a lot better info than I can. And, others may find other things working better....I sincerely hope you do!!! Again, just wanted to post this now to start the conversation and to show what's currently working for me, in the hope that others won't get too discouraged and dump the class and spec. I really feel these changes, while not what we really wanted, are a huge improvement over what we've recently had...at least IMHO. :)

Running 600 alacrity takes your 3 seconds of down time for force rend from 3 seconds down to 2 seconds. im currently in 208 main haind 220 offhand 208 augments. and new 2 piece 216 set bonus 689 accuracy 110.06%, 216 implants and ear piece, crit is at 289, parsing i crit 35% of the time(up from the old 28%) Currently stuck at 5.1k dps on a dummy(still working on getting rotation down and playing with numbers) also not using bloodthirst or adrenals.

Running 600 alacrity takes your 3 seconds of down time for force rend from 3 seconds down to 2 seconds. im currently in 208 main haind 220 offhand 208 augments. and new 2 piece 216 set bonus 689 accuracy 110.06%, 216 implants and ear piece, crit is at 289, parsing i crit 35% of the time(up from the old 28%) Currently stuck at 5.1k dps on a dummy(still working on getting rotation down and playing with numbers) also not using bloodthirst or adrenals.

Interesting...may have to bump up my alacrity and try that. Parsed again, with the same gear as in orig post (with 186 augments, 192 MH and a smattering of 192 mods) and my highest thus far was 5410, using zen/inspiration/adrenal. Still unsure about Cauterize's placement...finding parses to be about the same prioritizing Cauterize over Merc Slash and vice versa...still testing.

Might I suggest increasing your crit to get at least 58% crit multiplier...on 2 other toons I've leveled 58% to 60% minimum seems to be a sweet spot for carryover gear from pre 4.0. However, I'm still consistently better having crit over 600 points (61% crit mutli)...but, I may just finally be on the "winning" side of the RNG God for the moment as well. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
It's actually impossible! 9 second duration, 12 second cooldown requires reducing the cooldown to 9 seconds for 100% uptime. Even with 30% alacrity (which is unattainable, btw, due to being the actual hard-cap at infinite alacrity rating), the lowest you can get the CD on melt is 9.23 seconds. Remember, that's with infinite alacrity rating. With some enormously large, but still finite amount (let's say, around 3k rating), you would have around 21.42% alacrity, which translates into a force melt CD of 9.88 seconds. And that's with literally all of your tertiary stat budget put into alacrity!

tl;dr: It ain't happening.

I like how you got curious enough about this that you did the math. <3 Keyboard Ninja