The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why didnt Luke just stomp Lumiya with force powers?

raandomname

Im re-reading LotF currently and this question pops up repeatedly in my head. Of course Lumiya has her dueling skills, cybernetic augmentations, exotic weapon, tactical skills and dirty tricks, but I dont see how this allows her to counter Luke who is the most powerful force user of all times and basically in his prime at the time of LotF. Now I understand that Luke isnt gonna force choke her or anything, but his pure augmentations, tutaminis etc. should still keep Lumiya from really posing a threat to him. Afaik Lumiya never was a strong force user to begin with and with her heavy cybernetics she'd be even weaker.

So basically why dont their fights go down similarly to Sidious vs Tiin, Kolar and Fisto?

Because the series would be over before it began. Considering not long after that in the FotJ series, him and Ben take out a 16? Sith strike team with little effort, I don't think ANYONE other than Jacen or Jaina (and maybe Kyp) could really pose a threat. But the OPing of Luke has made storytelling difficult, so they weaken him when it's convenient to do so.

Think of it like the old Pokemon TV show, every time Ash goes to a new region he becomes an idiot again.

I try to forget LotF ever happened anyway...

Essentially as he said, but it is specifically called:

Plot Induced Stupidity. (PIS)

" Plot Induced Stupidity, or PIS, is when characters don't use their abilities or skills to the fullest extent as shown before, even within their personality ranges, for the sake of the story plotline. It makes lesser powered characters an actual challenge against higher powered characters in the comics."

"Examples of PIS include Flash stories lasting longer than three panels, or Toy Man as a threat to Superman. Standard CBR fights exempt the contestants from PIS unless otherwise specified. "

Essentially as he said, but it is specifically called:

Plot Induced Stupidity. (PIS)

" Plot Induced Stupidity, or PIS, is when characters don't use their abilities or skills to the fullest extent as shown before, even within their personality ranges, for the sake of the story plotline. It makes lesser powered characters an actual challenge against higher powered characters in the comics."

"Examples of PIS include Flash stories lasting longer than three panels, or Toy Man as a threat to Superman. Standard CBR fights exempt the contestants from PIS unless otherwise specified. "

Interesting. Thanks for pointing this out :p

Interesting. Thanks for pointing this out :p

Here is a quick list of effected characters other than Luke:

Mace Windu (Talzin fight)

Vader (Whenever emotions make him... weak...)

Grievous (Suddenly lack tactics or skill in certain fights)

Sidious (His defeats)

Vitiate (I eat worlds! But ah! Puny sword!)

Boba Fett (When writer hates him)

Jerec (Kyle knowing how to cut off connection to force = plot device)

Thrawn (He didn't calculate this?! Or at least have a contingency...)

Jaina (Essentially entire arc when training to face Caedus)

I mean, the list goes on and on! Suffice to say, PIS is VERY common and VERY annoying. As is CIS. Which stands for Character Induced Stupidity. Which is similar to PIS, except that it isn't related to the plot. For example, if Darth Vader was faced with a blast door and called customer support. Despite having the ability to crush the door or cut through it, he conveniently forgets he has such powers. CIS is essentially when characters act... well... out of character or stupider than normal that leads to issues or makes it so problems are not easily solved.

Both PIS and CIS are popular topics of 'What If's' and 'Why didn't they...' esque topics of discussion. Such as why didn't Vader snap Boba's neck in that old comic when they fought? In that case, it is both CIS and PIS. PIS because Vader is incredibly down scaled and definitely not going at his usual rate. CIS because he conveniently forgets many of his abilities that would of won the fight easily.

For those of you interested in CIS definition:

Character Induced Stupidity, or CIS, refers to any natural mental limitations that characters impose upon themselves and reduce their ability to use their own skills and powers effectively. Unlike PIS, CIS does not occur because the plot requires it, but because the character is genuinely that dumb.

Examples of the CIS-afflicted include characters such as Rhino or Jar Jar Binks. Standard CBR fights do not exempt the contestants from CIS.

Heck, there are many times CIS and PIS combine within the same action... :o

To be fair Sil, the Vader vs Boba fight, Boba had something Vader wanted, he wasn't even going all out against him nor even regarding him as much a threat as he casually just waded through all of Boba's attacks which did nothing, other than that surprise blaster shot(which shouldn't have happened but as you said CIS).

I mean a Dark Side adept

Could have easily killed Boba

So in a straight 1 on 1 fight? Yeah, Vader would crush Boba.