The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Making Pyrotech and Plasmatech the PVE Damage Spec like it should be.

Hawk_IV

Right now Advanced Prototype and Tactics are best spec for both PVP and PVE. With that much burst, it should NOT be better sustained damage than Pyro/Plasma (in boss battles, where it matters). In order to create a more balanced set of PT/VG specs, here are some proposed changes to make Pyro/Plasma better for sustained PVE damage.

(I'll be using BH terms, sorry pubs)

1: Flamethrower damage

At the moment, it's an awesome AOE ability... but because it is a main ability in the Pyrotech rotation it is a detriment to single-target sustained damage. (it's single-target power is lacking in comparison to moves like Ravage)

CHANGES

Superheated Flamethrower: Buff this badboy up to make Flamethrower hit harder, but make the additional damage of this effect only hit the player's target. So this 'part' of flamethrower increases single-target damage while keeping flamethrower as an AOE ability that still spreads the incendiary.

In other words, Flamethrower will stay as a decent AOE ability while increasing single-target dps.

2: Flamethrower = sitting duck

Right now we use Flamethrower in our main rotation yet it forces us to be in melee range, standing in one place for 3 seconds while channeling a move.... This makes us sitting ducks while we use an awesome ability.

IDEAS FOR CHANGES (any of them would fix the problem)

- Decrease incoming AOE damage by 60% while channeling flamethrower

- Flamethrower can be cast while moving

- Increase alacrity during Flamethrower channel by 50%

- Increase the range of Flamethrower by an additional 10m

>>>>>>>NOTE: These buffs are strong enough on their own. Using more than one would probably overbuff us XD

3: Immolate or Flame Punch

Make sure one of them can crit for as much as other DoT specs - like Mag Shot, Annihilate, etc.

^Every spec should have one 'big hitting move'

But making both super powerful would not be good either or we'll get nerfed for being overpowered.

Everything else in the spec is great so far. The burns, the rail shot crit... all awesome.

Edited by Hawk_IV

Right now Advanced Prototype and Tactics are best spec for both PVP and PVE. With that much burst, it should NOT be better sustained damage than Pyro/Plasma. In order to create a more balanced set of PT/VG specs, here are some proposed changes to make Pyro/Plasma better for sustained PVE damage.

(I'll be using BH terms, sorry pubs)

1: Flamethrower damage

At the moment, it's an awesome AOE ability... but because it is a main ability in the Pyrotech rotation it is a detriment to single-target sustained damage. (it's single-target power is lacking in comparison to moves like Ravage)

CHANGES

Superheated Flamethrower: Buff this badboy up to make Flamethrower hit harder, but make the additional damage of this effect only hit the player's target. So this 'part' of flamethrower increases single-target damage while keeping flamethrower as an AOE ability that still spreads the incendiary.

In other words, Flamethrower will stay as a decent AOE ability while increasing single-target dps.

2: Flamethrower = sitting duck

Right now we use Flamethrower in our main rotation yet it forces us to be in melee range, standing in one place for 3 seconds while channeling a move.... This makes us sitting ducks while we use an awesome ability.

IDEAS FOR CHANGES (any of them would fix the problem)

- Decrease incoming AOE damage by 50% while channeling flamethrower

- Flamethrower can be cast while moving

- Increase alacrity during Flamethrower channel by 50%

- Increase the range of Flamethrower by an additional 10m

>>>>>>>NOTE: These buffs are strong enough on their own. Using more than one would probably overbuff us XD

Make sure one of these moves can crit for as much as Heatseeker Missiles, Maul, Raging Burst, Backstab, etc.

But making both super powerful would not be good either or we'll get nerfed for being overpowered.

Everything else in the spec is great so far. The burns, the rail shot crit... all awesome.

You are DoT spec. Under no circumstances should you abilities hit as hard as burst ones. Not the level of HSM or RB for sure.

As for Tactics sustain, correct me if I'm wrong, it's lower than that of Plasmayech. Tactics is superior not becouse of it, but becouse it's fully mobile and almost full blown ranged.

- Decrease incoming AOE damage by 50% while channeling flamethrower

I really like this change. This is a nice change.

I'd up it to 60% though for reasons.

Make sure one of them can crit for as much as other DoT specs - like Mag Shot, Annihilate, etc.

Admittedly, it is lower (have some numbers):

Flaming Fist Crit: 9888.94

Immolate Crit: 9718.67

Annihilate Crit: 10768.57

Mag Shot Crit: 11800.45

However, its also important to note that Flamethrower is ~5.1k crits/tick, and ticks twice a GCD. On top of that, Rail Shot is ~7.3k/crit right now, and is getting buffed in 4.0 with crit rating added to surge for auto-crits - boosting Rail Shot to ~8.7k/crit with my current gear/level - and all of them together makes up 55% of your globals, and they all hit like a truck.

What do the other specs have that hit hard?

Annihilation gets nothing else, though admittedly Annihilate makes up 25% of its hits

Innovative Ordinance gets Thermal Detonator, which happens every 15 seconds in the better rotation style (gyro's) that half the people who play IO don't use because its not on Dulfy, so its hard hits happen for 30% of its hits.

Edited by TACeMossie

I really like this change. This is a nice change.

I'd up it to 60% though for reasons.

Admittedly, it is lower (have some numbers):

Flaming Fist Crit: 9888.94

Immolate Crit: 9718.67

Annihilate Crit: 10768.57

Mag Shot Crit: 11800.45

However, its also important to note that Flamethrower is ~5.1k crits/tick, and ticks twice a GCD. On top of that, Rail Shot is ~7.3k/crit right now, and is getting buffed in 4.0 with crit rating added to surge for auto-crits - boosting Rail Shot to ~8.7k/crit with my current gear/level - and all of them together makes up 55% of your globals, and they all hit like a truck.

What do the other specs have that hit hard?

Annihilation gets nothing else, though admittedly Annihilate makes up 25% of its hits

Innovative Ordinance gets Thermal Detonator, which happens every 15 seconds in the better rotation style (gyro's) that half the people who play IO don't use because its not on Dulfy, so its hard hits happen for 30% of its hits.

I agree, this is why in order to balance they should buff one move to 11k and nerf the other while giving it some other boost like in energy management or something. I like both the moves, it'd just be easier to balance with only 1 being the epic - hitter.

Also, having Flamethrower do more base damage and less crit damage could even out the sustained portion and possibly make them on par with MDPS such as Vengeance and Annihilation, etc.

Edited by Hawk_IV