The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Kao Cen Darach & Satele Shan vs Qui-Gon Jinn & Obi-Wan Kenobi

Beniboybling

Return Darach and Satele vs TPM Jinn & Kenobi

Battleground: Korriban Space Station Hangar (as seen in Return trailer)

Bonus Round: with Prime Kenobi and Prime Satele.

Morals off, all characters are prepared to kill and have full use of their abilities. Who wins?

NOTE: Please provide reasoning for you're opinion to spark some argument, no one word answers.

Edited by Beniboybling

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. As of TPM, Qui-Gon was one of the finest swordsmasters of the Order (though out of his prime, of course) and Obi-Wan was considered among the finest rising stars in the Order. They have a more developed mastery of lightsaber combat and greater hype in that area.

Kao's performance against Vindican is great and all, but Qui-Gon has greater hype as one of the finest swordsmen in the Order (I think in history, as well) and Kenobi is already a master combatant at this point. They also have superior teamwork going for them.

Round 2 is again in Team PT's favor. ROTS Kenobi is very much superior to Satele.

It's kinda hard to gauge, Team 1 were only in one 5min trailer.

Between the masters Qui-Gon is likely the more skilled, but he's also post-prime, while Kao doesn't seem so. Killing and Inquisitor in a duel is not that impressive in itself, but he also had to deal with Malgus who is a powerful duelist. On the other hand Qui-Gon held his own against Maul twice, alone. Maul is undoubtedly superior to Return Malgus.

Overall I'm not really comfortable giving an edge there, but it doesn't really matter either, because TPM Kenobi beats Return Satele.

Bonus round is same. Prime Kenobi is superior to prime Satele, but Satele has fearsome TK, which is Kenobi's weakness. Still Team 2 should win that too.

Return Darach and Satele vs TPM Jinn & Kenobi

Battleground: Korriban Space Station Hangar (as seen in Return trailer)

Bonus Round: with Prime Kenobi and Prime Satele.

Morals off, all characters are prepared to kill and have full use of their abilities. Who wins?

NOTE: Please provide reasoning for you're opinion to spark some argument, no one word answers.

Normal: Team 1

Kao Cen Darach seems to be capable of defeating Qui-Gon Jinn [1 on 1] and turn the tide of this battle.

Bonus: Team 1 decisively

Satele Shan became a powerhouse in her later years and she is likely to overwhelm any opponent in Team 2 with her powers [1 on 1].

Edited by S_W_LeGenD

Kao's performance against Vindican is great and all, but Qui-Gon has greater hype as one of the finest swordsmen in the Order (I think in history, as well) and Kenobi is already a master combatant at this point. They also have superior teamwork going for them.
Surely Darach's position as the Order's Battlemaster and his exceptional performance is grounds for touting him as one of the finest swordsmen of the era? I think it would, more importantly though we should consider Darach's impressive displays in the Force:

Which is frankly beyond anything Qui-Gon has accomplished, couple that with the fact that Jinn's stamina declined with age, whereas Darach is evidently in the prime of his life, and I'd say as far as Ataru is concerned (i.e. with raw power and ferocity) Darach may well be capable of defeating Jinn, even if he lacks the same level of technical skill.

I'd agree however than Return Satele is the weak link. But in her prime? I might apply a similar argument, that raw power and energy will win out against the superior skill of their opponents, if it is even the case with Qui-Gon.

For me it is usually film characters > Old Republic era EU characters

I think it makes sense also in that as time progresses new techniques in either lightsaber combat or force mastery are probably developed. Just as technology progresses I imagine so would the skillset of the Jedi and the Sith overall, though sometimes information is lost as well, particularly for the Sith who tend to horde information rather than sharing all of it with their apprentices, and who go through a couple periods where the Jedi/Republic have wiped them out.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco