The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Kylo Ren is Luke Skywalker?

nyothan

Something occurred to me today and maybe this has been discussed, forgive me if so. We all see Kylo Ren's lightsaber has a cross-guard. The practical use of a cross-guard on swords is to prevent your hands from injury, more specifically being cut off. In Star Wars canon of course Luke Skywalker and of course Anakin both had one of their hands cut off. Could Kylo be Luke? Or possibly be related to the Skywalker's and the cross-guard is there to prevent his hand from being cut off again, or some homage to the Skywalker's? I'd love to hear anyone's opinion.

Something occurred to me today and maybe this has been discussed, forgive me if so. We all see Kylo Ren's lightsaber has a cross-guard. The practical use of a cross-guard on swords is to prevent your hands from injury, more specifically being cut off. In Star Wars canon of course Luke Skywalker and of course Anakin both had one of their hands cut off. Could Kylo be Luke? Or possibly be related to the Skywalker's and the cross-guard is there to prevent his hand from being cut off again, or some homage to the Skywalker's? I'd love to hear anyone's opinion.

Kylo Ren is played by Adam Diver. He's not Luke. Also the way Luke lost his hand a cross guard wouldn't matter. The same with Anakin. He lost his arm almost at the elbow. Vader went around and came under luke's arm cutting it off. All the hand loss scenes wouldn't have been prevented with a crossguard.

Edited by Rhyltran

It might not be Luke but I'm thinking the design of Kylo's saber with the cross-guard is a subtle hint to some relationship to the Skywalkers.

He's part of this order called the "Knights of Ren." it's probably their style of sabers.

Luke Skywalker becoming a Sith or some other form of dark sider would be the worst movie twist of all time. It would ruin the film quite frankly, so thankfully that isn't happening. As noted by Rhyltran, Kylo Ren is being played by a different actor than Mark Hamill.

"You've failed, your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me" should remain the last words on Luke's force alignment. Anything else would demolish Luke's character development throughout the original trilogy, and undercut the Emperor as an antagonist by having some other villain succeed where he failed.

I still think there is too much coincidence in the cross-guard. Maybe it's Luke's son? I don't know the actor, could he be young enough to be Skywalker's son?

As I mentioned. They're called the knights of ren. They're an entire order. Though, rumor has it he's Han's kid but I don't understand why the crossguard to you screams skywalker when a crossguard wouldn't have stopped anakin or luke from losing their hand.

I'd say Kylo Ren is a Skywalker, but not Luke, and i'd also say the girl it showed in the trailer is the sister of Kylo Ren. Probably the son/daughter of Han and Leia. the story is probably going to revolve around Kylo Ren and his sister, and Luke was talking to the sister at the beginning of the trailer. Edited by cool-dude

I'd say Kylo Ren is a Skywalker, but not Luke, and i'd also say the girl it showed in the trailer is the sister of Kylo Ren. Probably the son/daughter of Han and Leia. the story is probably going to revolve around Kylo Ren and his sister, and Luke was talking to the sister at the beginning of the trailer.

That would make Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan two of the biggest hypocrites alive. Claiming the EU was hampering their story plans (And don't get me wrong, it was) only to repeat one of the poorest storyline of the EU (To me at least) "Legacy of the Force" with the "Solo kid goes bad and his sister must defeat/kill him".

Also to note, Adam Driver doesn't look like Rey (Who looks slightly similar to Leia but not really Han) and not at all like any member of the Big Three.

If Entertainment Weekly is to be believed, he is an "anti-Luke Skywalker". He comes from humble origins too, and builds his own legend, but is fiercely devoted to the memory of Darth Vader, and because of that, to the Knights of Ren and Supreme Leader Snoke.

Potential movie and actual novel spoilers below, so if you want to avoid them don't read my post.

Kylo Ren isn't even his real name. It's an assumed one. He is a member of the Knights of Ren, who are not Sith, rather something that we haven't seen before in Star Wars. They do use the Dark side of the Force. That's all we know.

Kylo Ren follows the leader of the First Order (remnants of the Empire who have been refocused and appear to be more polished and professional than Palpatine's version), a mysterious alien character known as Supreme Leader Snoke. Almost nothing is known about Snoke, but a rumor came out awhile ago that he is reptilian in appearance. Snoke also is a Dark side user.

In the Aftermath book, which takes place after Return of the Jedi, a group known as the "Acolytes from the Beyond" buys Darth Vader's old lightsaber from a shady weapons dealer, and it's apparent that they see him (Vader) as a martyr of sorts. Apparently shortly before the events of Return of the Jedi, we learn that Emperor Palpatine was sending groups of young men and women out into the edges of the known universe, because he had some idea that it's where the Dark side of the Force originated from. So it's possible that these Acolytes might have been the first iteration of the Knights of Ren. It could be our first clue.

As far as familial ties, they're keeping all major character and plot details under wraps, quite well I might add. Some of the comments above bring up the popular rumors, which have no fact behind them but could be true. We'll see.

It's also interesting to note that the toys for Luke Skywalker and Snoke have not been released yet. There was a leaked photo of Luke, in which he was wearing a white robe and had a beard, but the leader of the First Order has not been seen yet, that we're aware of.

Hopefully the next (real) trailer shows us a few things. I'm really looking forward to it!

EDIT - and yeah Kylo Ren is not Luke Skywalker. I think it's safe to say that.

Edited by roblinb