Graphics Update

Sarfux

Just wonder if i will need to Upgrade my GPU's soon. Did want to wait for the next generation to come out.

Assuming that your 680s run in SLI (as opposed to you having 2 computers) you shouldn't need to upgrade them unless you go to 4K resolution.

It's probably worthwhile to wait for the next gen of cards that use HBM2.

- Draw distance for smaller objects is far too short now

- Shadows, specularity and normal maps, are turned off at a far too short distance.

- LOD objects stay active for far too long when you get closer

- NPC animations skip multiple frames

- Various graphics glitches (Black skies in civil war, invisible bridge in Voidstar, invisible floor in EV)

All at max settings.

This "graphics update" is quite a downgrade. The game doesn't need to run on a phone, so either return to the old settings or even better give us seperate sliders or ini settings that allow us to exceed the original settings.

First you break ambient sounds, now graphics. This is not the proper way to optimize a game.

Edited by Mubrak

- Draw distance for smaller objects is far too short now

- Shadows, specularity and normal maps, are turned off at a far too short distance.

- LOD objects stay active for far too long when you get closer

- NPC animations skip multiple frames

- Various graphics glitches (Black Skies in Civil war, Invisible Bridge in Voidstar, Invisible floor in EV)

All at max settings.

This "Graphics Update" is quite a downgrade. The game doesn't need to run on a phone, so either return to the old settings or even better give us seperate sliders or ini settings that allow us to exceed the original settings.

First you break ambient sounds, now graphics. This is not the proper way to optimize a game.

Shadows on Yavin seems to be broken aswell, in general there isn't any noticeable fps gain since 3.2.1. I could run on a mix of medium and max settings without problems, but for some reasons I prefer the low and very low graphics more. Yet, this patch hasn't improved a single thing and, instead, made things worse. The only positive thing is that it seems that loading screens are faster, but nothing else. Framerate is still the same, or worse.

Its pretty funny that trotting around guild ship all console decors inside look horribly broken untill you go 30-20 meters from then and suddenly they look like consoles again.

This draw distance has made horrible things to Lightsources. They flicker on and off in some places uncontrollably, really gives you a headache.

I add another thing they broke. Mobs. Most of friendly/neutral npcs are all right, quest givers are where they should be and they work as intended, but enemy mobs are broken. It's not uncommon, since the last patch, to see random mobs falling from the sky, appearing and desappearing, walking straight through walls if they have a patrol route and getting stuck under the ground in combat making them impossible to hit unless you start running around and jumping in circles like an idiot to make them resurface again. It's annoying.

- draw distance for smaller objects is far too short now

- shadows, specularity and normal maps, are turned off at a far too short distance.

- lod objects stay active for far too long when you get closer

- npc animations skip multiple frames

- various graphics glitches (black skies in civil war, invisible bridge in voidstar, invisible floor in ev)

all at max settings.

This "graphics update" is quite a downgrade. The game doesn't need to run on a phone, so either return to the old settings or even better give us seperate sliders or ini settings that allow us to exceed the original settings.

qft ^^

Please bring the good old graphics back.

I just don't understand why they didn't give us an option for the NPC models in particular. I mostly solo and haven't run into many draw distance issues, but man do the NPCs look bad, bad, bad. It's actually really distracting, they're at a completely different framerate from everything else in the environment. It doesn't matter what graphics settings I'm at, it's the same. My computer could handle the models before, so why can't I keep using them?

I just don't understand why they didn't give us an option for the NPC models in particular. I mostly solo and haven't run into many draw distance issues, but man do the NPCs look bad, bad, bad. It's actually really distracting, they're at a completely different framerate from everything else in the environment. It doesn't matter what graphics settings I'm at, it's the same. My computer could handle the models before, so why can't I keep using them?

Because it isn't about actual optimization. It's about placating those who couldn't run max settings, but were determined that they should be able to.

New GFX bugs aside.

I have noticed some nice scenes on various planets over the weekend. Just last night on Yavin after killing Revan I was running back to the mission terminals from the shuttle and stopped as I noticed rays of light and low fog tables dancing along the ground. It looked so good I actually stopped and took screen shots.....something SWTOR is not known for haha

It feels though that the LOD stays low way to long now as you close in on things.

I wish the entire game looked as detailed as it appears to me when I am on Ziost...is it just me or does Ziost use better textures?

I too am enjoying the graphics update. Things look a little more refined and smoother.

Aside from a more or less subtle gamma increase (not so subtle on Hoth for example) this patch didn't do much that could be considered making things look more refined. As for "smoother", well if you mean objects in 10-30m distance, then yes. It's called missing normal and specular maps or feature-less LOD model. Some may consider it "smoother" for others it's a loss of surface details.

As I said before, allow us to tweak those settings ourselves and find the settings we like visually that our PCs still can handle, if that is too complicated, add a new "ultra" setting that was the original high.

Edited by Mubrak

Thanks for the feedback guys! I guess I'm a lucky one on mmorpgs. I NEVER get any glitches or bugs O.O

I do agree the view distance has been nerfed, but the positives of the other stuff far outweigh the others. Game looks very stylized now even more so.

I play this game on a 4k g-sync monitor with the settings maxed, the shadows slider set to 2048, and the framerate capped at 60 artificially. Subjectively, the update looks better to my eyes albeit average ram usage seems to be up by about 400-800mb. Ram usage is still way below the 6 gb threshold where it would be a problem. I have not taken before and after screenshots and I do not have a problem with items popping in or out. That is the same now as it was before on my setup.