The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Tanking style

MikeFL

How's the tanking style of the Trooper? I know its mostly short range, but are there some distance options? How does it compare to the Jedi Guardian? (I'm not asking which is better, just what the differences in style are).

I'm considering Vanguard for a tank because of their mobility and I really like the blaster rifles + shields concept. Assuming I chose to tank as a Vanguard, how well do they work with soloing with a healer companion? Which is generally better, to have a healing companion or a damage companion?

The difference in style basically boils down to the Vanguard having a slight edge when it comes to tanking crowds (better AOE capabilities), while the Guardian has a slight edge when it comes to tanking single bosses (better OHSHI--- capabilities). Also, the Vanguard takes damage a little more evenly while the Guardian is a little spikier. But neither edge is massive; both classes can tank any encounter in the game successfully. Which one is better for you is really going to boil down to which playstyle you enjoy better. I really enjoy the Vanguard's superior battlefield control capabilities- more AOE, the ability to both charge and pull, significant ranged ability, etc.

When soloing, bring along a DPS companion for trash clearing and swap to a healing companion (if needed) for tough fights.

I have heard that Vanguards are "melee tanks" but, as you pointed out above, have some ranged abilities to damage/generate threat. In what way are Vanguards "melee", especially considering your primary weapon is a blaster rifle...

I have heard that Vanguards are "melee tanks" but, as you pointed out above, have some ranged abilities to damage/generate threat. In what way are Vanguards "melee", especially considering your primary weapon is a blaster rifle...

One of the most if not the most important ability stockstrike is melee range, but yes we can do a decent job from range as well.