Power or Strength augments?

Ccgv

I'm playing a carnage marauder currently, my issue is that I came back to my marauder after a few months and he has power augments, which don't seem to benefit us much but I may be wrong as I'm not really familiar with the power stat. Which one should I go for and why? I'm willing to spend about 2mil to get the strength if they're a lot better than power, but if not then I wont bother. Thanks!

Ok, are we talking PvP or PvE? If PvE, It doesn't really matter, i'd lean towards Strength, but since our main burst attack has an auto-crit attached to it, and our second burst attack has a 1m ICD Auto-Crit attached to our Set Bonus, the Crit from Strength becomes diminished, because of that. Power on the other hand, gives no Crit % but gives more raw damage. Power increases Bonus Damage by a raw number, whereas Strength is an overall boost to Force and Melee Bonus Damage (at a lower boost compared to the Power stat) along with Melee and Force Crit %. Power and Strength also influence your Bonus Healing which is more benefitial to Juggernauts because of Enraged Defense (which is boosted by Bonus Healing).

For PvP, Power all the way.

I'm playing a carnage marauder currently, my issue is that I came back to my marauder after a few months and he has power augments, which don't seem to benefit us much but I may be wrong as I'm not really familiar with the power stat. Which one should I go for and why? I'm willing to spend about 2mil to get the strength if they're a lot better than power, but if not then I wont bother. Thanks!

For pvp- i would say strength if your not at 25% crit and power if you already @25% cri-

Well i would say that but- honestly, just save your credits for after launch of expansion because the stat difference is pretty nominal in comparison to time/launch date in my opinion.

Afterwards, consider strength augs because even though you have auto-crits; not all your attacks will be crits. Crits honestly decide the tide of battle in pvp.

While power gives you a bigger increase in bonus damage, strength will push your crit rate up a little meaning you don't have to have too much in your gear. Also augmenting isn't about main stats vs power anymore especially in PvP where you'll want some alacrity to make your attacks faster.

While this optimal guide is for PvE gear I suggest you take a look and try the same balance of stats:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=821885

Let me explain my post a bit- to clarify my thought pattern. (I just re-read my post and noticed it doesnt fully express what I was leading to).

So pvp gear for the most part is free. The only things you will pay credits for is augmenting. (And pulling out stuff to optimize)

Power augs (at least on my server) cost more then strength (main stat) augs. So i recommend using strength augs to help raise your crit rating. Going this route allows you to use warzone coms to bring up your power. At current GTN prices, power augs cost more then double the price os STR augs (due to massive under cutting wars as well as power augs being usable on all classes).

But since you can optimize so easily in SWtoR, it doesnt really matter at this point in time to switch to power augs for a small statistical difference. Instead- save your creds so yo can quickly get upto speed once you hit 65. I foresee everything costing a lot in the first month or so after release- so your gonna need all the creds you can spare.

I don't want to start another thread so here is a good place to ask, what about surge augments? Level 56 augments are cheap on gtn but I'm not sure if I should go with power, surge or strength? I do mostly PVE so I'm guessing it doesn't matter the game easy but still I want to have the best build possible. My regular gear is a very balanced mix so I'm not weak in any areas that I need to compensate for.

Power augments are a straight DPS increase over strength augments, that is irrefutable. You can argue that strength augments give better burst due to the DPS difference being relatively small and give a bit more crit chance. Personally I prefer power augments in that you can always depend on the full damage boost from power while part of the boost from strength is dependent on RNG.