New to Level 50

Buellzebubba

OK, so I just got my character to level 50. I've got upgradeable gear with the highest mods available to me. I went to the fleet and checked out the Level 50 gear. It's awesome! Much better than my modified gear in every case. The thing is though, that it costs about 500 commendations to fully outfit. I've got less than half of that. Have I been missing a way to get a lot of commendations? I've never tried starfighter, and don't do many warzones or flashpoints. Are there commendations there I'm missing? Or are we just meant to pick and choose a few of the Level 50 and up special gear?

You get commendations from FPs and Operations too. Depending on what you want to do in game, you may not need the very best. But if you do, or otherwise want the very best, you have find ways to get it. Commendations, GTN, crafting, are all possibilities.

Welcome to Level 50!

The special gear sets you're looking at are old "Elder Game" content gear, from back before the Rise of the Hutt Cartel expansion. If you own the expansions, they rather quickly become irrelevant as you level up past 50. If you don't, however...

As you've already guessed, you can earn Basic Commendations by doing Flashpoints. There are rewards for using the Group Finder you can earn once a day per category, and also the Emerging Conflicts and Searching for Allies quests from the flashpoint terminal.

If group content makes you nervous, you can also do daily missions in the Black Hole on Corellia, Section X on Belsavis, and on Ilum. Additionally, completing the planetary mission series on Ilum rewards you with the chestpiece from the Campaign set - though you'll have to complete two level 50 Flashpoints to do so.

If neither appeals, you'll be granted both Rise of the Hutt Cartel and Shadow of Revan with your subscription when Knights of Fallen Empire releases October 27th. The GSI terminal on Makeb will allow you to easily complete missions there, and the Forged Alliances storyline opens up at level 53 and rewards you with a complete set of rating 162 gear. Continuing the storyline from there will take care of pretty much all of your necessary gear upgrades - the Citadel gear you get for completing the Ziost storyline is the best armor available outside of armor you have to complete Operations to obtain.

If you've got adaptive gear, here's what to do. Mod it to level 49 at 2 comms per mod with the fleet modification vendors. Outfitting a toon and companion will cost 100 commendations. When you go to Makeb you are "bolstered" to level 55 if you invoke "satellite tracking." If you want to upgrade your companion, you can still buy level 53 mods at 2 comms each from the same vendors on fleet as you level up, but frankly, that is probably not necessary.

Now, play Makeb until you get to level 54 and then be careful. SAVE your CLASS quest rewards so that you wind up at 55.9 or so with three quests to turn in at once. If you go over into 55 you are sunk because you won't get the high XP, so BE CAREFUL here because just killing mobs gives you XP. You can use planetary and side quests to get close. You try to save CLASS quests.

OK. You're just prior to hitting 55. Turn on a 25% experience boost. Now accept those last three quests (It usually limits you to three saved) You'll hit 55 instantly, but with the high class XP plus 25% for all three of those class quests. You may even get to 57 if you play it just right.

Now you outfit your existing gear with 178 mods (Level 56) which you can buy on the GTN or craft yourself. You can also craft 186 gear, but that gets expensive because of the purple materials required, so what I have done is craft 186 hilts and barrels and swap them when you hit level 58. This is enough to get you easily to level 60.

You will be accumulating lots of commendations on Makeb that you do not need to spend. Class missions will give you at least 12 and at least one gives you 20. Plus some comms will drop. You also get hefty comms on the 4 flashpoints in Prelude to Revan. Once you hit Rishi you get 297 comms at once (3x99) and continue to earn comms on Rishi missions. If you have zero comms at 50 before you start Makeb you should be at 400-500 by the time you end Rishi.

The flashpoints and Rishi drop gear, too, but if you are already at 178 (no reason you can't be) the gear is too low (156's mostly, I think, though Rishi does drop 178's toward the latter half. Even of they're useless (They're bound) you can still sell them to a vendor. All told it's about 250K in credits if you do that. Of course, if you do ops and HM 192 gear drops free. Either way you should have no serious problem with gearing from 50-60.

Edited by MSchuyler

Thanks for the replies. The 12xp boost has been a blessing and a curse. I'm rocketing up through the levels by just doing my class storyline and nothing extra. It's cool to see the story unfold (I'm impatient) but I haven't been doing any of the extras. If I take the time to do some of the extras, I'll be at level 60 way before I finish the story it seems. Is there any harm in that? Can you just keep playing at level 60, and just not accumulate any more xp?

That being said, I got Shadow of Revan when I subscribed, I guess for free. DId I also get Rise of the Hutt Cartel? Will I get the new one, or will I have to purchase it extra?

All expansions before Shadow of Revan, including Hutt Cartel, are included free for subscribers. And Knights of the Fallen Empire will also be free for subscribers.

You continue to play the game at level 60 without earning XP, though you will continue to earn Legacy XP until you reach Legacy Level 50.

Lower level content will of course be a lot easier at that point.

12x XP will only take you to level 55. If you are not done with your story at that point, class quests will only give you normal XP.

Thanks for the replies. The 12xp boost has been a blessing and a curse. I'm rocketing up through the levels by just doing my class storyline and nothing extra. It's cool to see the story unfold (I'm impatient) but I haven't been doing any of the extras. If I take the time to do some of the extras, I'll be at level 60 way before I finish the story it seems. Is there any harm in that? Can you just keep playing at level 60, and just not accumulate any more xp?

You'll be at 60 ahead of time anyway if you use the method I described above. It can be an issue. I've got two toons that reached 60 mid-Rishi and a couple more that probably will, and yet another who just started Yavin and will hit 60 within a couple more quests. Your decision is whether or not to keep playing up through Ziost and the end of the Revan story. You'll earn credits and get quest rewards, but no XP, and therein lies the problem.

Right now toons in the position I described above are ahead of themselves. They are a bit over-leveled. That means when XP opens up to 65 later this Fall those very same toons will be finishing up Rishi, Yavin, etc. and gaining XP beyond 60 as they do so, When they hit the KotFE story they will be at levels 62, 63, whatever, so their missions will be "green" instead of orange or yellow. That means they are "easier." Is that a good thing? Kinda depends on your point of view. If you're a macho player who likes to "tackle the hard stuff" as a challenge, then it is NOT a good thing to be over-leveled, in which case (if you are) you ought to keep playing to the end of Revan and not worry about XP.

On the other hand, if you're the kind of player who worked very hard to GET over-leveled so you wouldn't have to work so hard, then if you do play with no XP you will lose that hard-earned advantage. That's me, frankly, because I do not consider myself a good player. (I play on a laptop with a touchpad with one hand. And I'm old.) So my solution is to get all my 12 toons to 60 and stop them at that point (that's all 8 stories once and half of them twice.) They're all 55+ now so that's about the right amount of time for me to do it.

YMMV, of course.

That being said, I got Shadow of Revan when I subscribed, I guess for free. DId I also get Rise of the Hutt Cartel? Will I get the new one, or will I have to purchase it extra?

My apologies for not reading all the replies. What I read were good. But I'll add my comments anyway :)

1) No "harm", if you don't mind finding the content easier. But as you've probably noticed, certain group-level content is level-dependent bracketed. But you can still do any planet quests, side quests, flashpoints (just not all through GF), etc.

2) Even when capped at L60, you still get Legacy XP. And you'll get it faster than if you were doing lower level content.

3) You didn't get SoR for free. You must have purchased it somehow. But you do get RoTHC for free. And the new one will be free for all subscribers.

About comms and gear:

a) SoR is easy mode. And throws gear at you, so don't feel like you have to buy fancy gear.

b) But they also throw basic comms at you. So don't worry about storing them for a rainy day :)

c) Do NOT bother with the L50 "Basic Gear" (the stuff that costs 40-80 comms each). Much cheaper to just get the mods at 2 comms each.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.