Subscription as ingame item

Tkard

So wow has their marks, wildstar got something, eve got plex. All those item can be bought for money and traded ingame. They can also be used to add subscription. I suggest adding them to swtor so those of us who can afford it can buy it for ingame credits, I cant find a downside. Opinions?

Oh look another I want sub benefits for free thread.

... Except that people playing the game, and people will play to earn credits to trade for sub time add to the game, and make those who sit on the fence more likely to sub. Think about it. If you were to sit in fleet and see 20 people there, and you were on the fence about re-subbing, would you? Or would you think 'Meh, whats the point. The game is dying'? They may not contribute as much as subscribers, but they do contribute.

Personally, I'd like to see sub time available for credits, but limited, so say only one month every 6 months, or even more preferably, one week every 6 weeks, or some such.

Regardless, if it were to be made available, it would have to be limited in a few ways - No Cartel Coins for one, and no permanent unlock of expansion chapters for another (Or indeed no unlock).

Oh look another I want sub benefits for free thread.

Because those subscription tokens would sell for less than 250k. Right...

People would most likely sell them for 5m-10m and above, so f2p couldn't buy "free" subs even if they wanted to.

This would only benefit current subs. Even with f2p/pref players-oriented unlocks which are already available on the cm, people are so stupid they list them on gtn for 500k+ so nobody which is not a sub can buy them, unless they spend those few free cc they receive for leaving 1st planet, completing class chapters and beating all bosses in 1st flashpoint, to buy an escrow unlock.

Also, if prices are high, but you can still buy them ingame without spending real money, you'd start to play more and more in order to grind credits and be able to afford the subs tokens; that would helps population, general economy, etc.

Because those subscription tokens would sell for less than 250k. Right...

People would most likely sell them for 5m-10m and above, so f2p couldn't buy "free" subs even if they wanted to.

This would only benefit current subs.

But they would only have to sub once. Or use someone's referral link.

But they would only have to sub once. Or use someone's referral link.

But there's no way in hell a f2p can afford those prices, even with escrows or ref links or whatever they can come up with. Not without having unlimited acces to daily areas and post lv50 content in general in order to grind credits.

I played my very first 2 characters when I was f2p for something like 4 months. Both were lv50 and with bank locked behind escrow. When I became sub, I left those characters taking dust in a dark corner and played others, but when I went back and loaded them, they only had something like 900k the first and 500k-600k the second, saved through the whole lv1-50 quest process with random pvp and fps in between.

If I create and level a new character now without spending any credits at all, aside from armor repairs, I can save something around 2m from starting planet to Ziost doing exclusively story content. But the majority of that cash, around 1.2m/1.3m, comes from post Corellia/Ilum stuff.

A player with f2p/pref status would have to grind Black Hole and Ilum dailies for months before even taking the idea of buying a token into consideration.

Unless they're former subs with quite a good amount of credits saved and locked behind the escrow from the beginning, they have no chance of buying a token for 5m+.

If I create and level a new character now without spending any credits at all, aside from armor repairs, I can save something around 2m from starting planet to Ziost doing exclusively story content. But the majority of that cash, around 1.2m/1.3m, comes from post Corellia/Ilum stuff.

All of which will be free post-expansion after a player subs for just one month.

During that one month, it would be entirely possible to earn millions of credits even without hardcore grinding.

Ok new idea... lets not make it an ingame item but let people sell gametime for credits on the website... then you could also add an option to use the credits from the escrow... after all you will be subscriber after purchasing it.