Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Merc/Mando on Low Levels

DomiSotto

Hi folks, I just wanted to see if I am on the right track. I have just started Merc/Mando combo with Gunnery/Assault, and got as far as level 17 on the Merc.

I have reviewed the guides I found, and going to do more, but here is what I am trying to do so far, and was wondering if I am doing the right thing. I am waiting till level 25 to try the characters out in the warzones.

I am trying to learn to use the EC buttons for alternative movement in addition to just driving with the mouse alone, so I free up the click if I can’t manage a DPS and want to try heals (to free up the click for bar selecting on the run).

I try to maintain the quickbars only with the abilities that I feel I need, to avoid overcomplicating the bars. Right now I only have 3 spells that are a part of the final Assault/Gunnery rotation I saw on Dulfy, so what I ended up doing is:

Trace Missile --> Rail Shot --> Unload, with Explosive Dart/Rapid Shot in the ‘if I need them’ positions. I kept Fusion Missile and Sweeping Gunfire as my AoE, but got rid of the Death from the Above. I have only kept the insta-self-heal, not the casted heal.

Did I do anything stupid?

Edited by DomiSotto

Yes.

Mando (even Gunnery) is one of the most bloated spec situationally-wise. They have a root on a bility never used rotationally. Five fricking AoE's which are all useful depending on the situation. Four personnal OCD's (well, Tech Override isn't exactly one). One group OCD. A rather average number of defensives. Then we get Electro-Net which is many thing. And our rotation, a very simple one for Gunnery, but a much harder one for IO.

I find Mando is the one class which stretch my keybinds the most, granted I haven't played a Sin yet.

And I can't think of having anything but keybinded abilities for about everything I could ever use in a PvP match.

For SM ops you can handle everything with only the bare rotation bound... But for PvP or HM.. I can't think how one could play without full keybinds.

And you, Domi, always struck me a ssomeone wanting to try to achieve as much as you can as well as you can.

Oh, zut. Maybe I should put it on hold for a few days then. I do not think I will be able to cope with a lot of abilities. :) I hoped Gunnery was straightforward.

Gunnery IS straightforwward and simple. Problem are situationnal abilities.

Stuck on the move?? Can't stop to channel one Grav Round? Vortex Bolt and Tech Overrides are on CD? Sticky Grenade can be useful.

Adds will live long enough? Plasma Grenade is the best AoE to open with.

Mortar Volley is still more damage than Hail of Bolt 'less you get a lot of crits and it cost 2 less energy.

Pulse Cannon? It still does elemental damage..... But it's definately the less useful AoE.. Only one worth unbinding.

Then we have four personnal offensives CD's. Tech Override, Reserve Powercell, Recharge Cells and Supercharge Cell.... All I can't see without keybinds. It becomes worst if you add Electro-Net and Supercharged Celerity...

Then you get Stockstrike.. Which is useless.. Unless you PvP and you need the melee root :rolleyes: Same can be said of Concussion Round and Concussion Charge or Cryo Grenade. I can't see not having them on a keybinds... 'Less you just never do even regs. ANd they are still useful in PvE.

Add to that our cleanse which is a HUGE utility for some of the last tier fights and even more in PvP and it's even better if you take Suit FOE. Then Bacta Infusion does matter a lot. Medical Probe is as important in PvP. No-CD heal you can almost spam as soon as you get a moment. Even the Green-Beam-Of-Death is useful on a bind just to build Supercharge stack while on the move or to trickle heal yourself while moving away from the fight to drop your Med Probes. So four binds in PvP. Two in PvE - Cleanse and Bacta Infusion.

Then you get our five DCD's. Diversion. Reactive Shield. Adrenaline Rush. Medpack and Adrenals in PvP. All matters a lot. And since you will likely use them while moving, kiting or fighting... Keybinds are a must in PvP. In PvE, you can unbind them tho.

Gunnery IS simple. The rotation is simple. The abilities, situationnal or rotationnal, ar simple. Problem is you stil must think about what you're doing a little.

Gunnery IS straightforwward and simple. Problem are situationnal abilities.

Stuck on the move?? Can't stop to channel one Grav Round? Vortex Bolt and Tech Overrides are on CD? Sticky Grenade can be useful.

Adds will live long enough? Plasma Grenade is the best AoE to open with.

Mortar Volley is still more damage than Hail of Bolt 'less you get a lot of crits and it cost 2 less energy.

Pulse Cannon? It still does elemental damage..... But it's definately the less useful AoE.. Only one worth unbinding.

Then we have four personnal offensives CD's. Tech Override, Reserve Powercell, Recharge Cells and Supercharge Cell.... All I can't see without keybinds. It becomes worst if you add Electro-Net and Supercharged Celerity...

Then you get Stockstrike.. Which is useless.. Unless you PvP and you need the melee root :rolleyes: Same can be said of Concussion Round and Concussion Charge or Cryo Grenade. I can't see not having them on a keybinds... 'Less you just never do even regs. ANd they are still useful in PvE.

Add to that our cleanse which is a HUGE utility for some of the last tier fights and even more in PvP and it's even better if you take Suit FOE. Then Bacta Infusion does matter a lot. Medical Probe is as important in PvP. No-CD heal you can almost spam as soon as you get a moment. Even the Green-Beam-Of-Death is useful on a bind just to build Supercharge stack while on the move or to trickle heal yourself while moving away from the fight to drop your Med Probes. So four binds in PvP. Two in PvE - Cleanse and Bacta Infusion.

Then you get our five DCD's. Diversion. Reactive Shield. Adrenaline Rush. Medpack and Adrenals in PvP. All matters a lot. And since you will likely use them while moving, kiting or fighting... Keybinds are a must in PvP. In PvE, you can unbind them tho.

Gunnery IS simple. The rotation is simple. The abilities, situationnal or rotationnal, ar simple. Problem is you stil must think about what you're doing a little.

Very well said.

The merc / mando is the class with so many utilities it becomes almost silly stupid. And that is the problem with this class people have the most trouble with. There is too much to juggle in PVP. None of them are great utilities either. You often have to spend crucial seconds trying to stack them and fail miserably at it (binds or no binds). In 4 v 4, many classes can do in one ability what this class attempts to do while activating 3 or 4. In 4 v 4, it just takes too long to get anything accomplished and you die as a result.

This is why this class is not suited for death match. Your strength is your distance, but you lack proper tools to ensure you keep that distance. Your stealth detection is weak, your defensive bubble is weak, your offheals are weak, and your greatest PVP option (E-net) is quickly purged by your opponents. And to make it worse, you even lack the ability to fight back due to back to back stuns.

The point is, once you lose range, you have already lost the fight. And in deathmatch, you can expect every opposing player on the team to immediately come gunning for you. And with stealth in play, you won't even see the first hit land (literally).

Oh, I put everything back on the bars, which at level 25 means I have upwards from 24 binds not counting the targeting. Haven't played the construct much yet. I quit Arenas at loading, so that's not a concern, just want to be able to manage the reg warzones.

Oh, I put everything back on the bars, which at level 25 means I have upwards from 24 binds not counting the targeting. Haven't played the construct much yet. I quit Arenas at loading, so that's not a concern, just want to be able to manage the reg warzones.

Bah... Just fo abilities.. I normally have upward 36 keybinds.. No matter the class. Commando just pushes that to about 40.

In 8 v 8, there is no shortage of things to do if you are in a non-huttball map. When you aren't killing somebody, you tossing somebody else a quick heal. I have often said if you want to learn how to do operations, try to multi-task in a 8 v 8. The number of decisions you have to juggle is crazy.

But with that said, I find I play merc / mando the best when I'm behind the lines. You simply don't have the utilities to break focus, so it is best to avoid it altogether. So keep the keybinds to your utilities and just focus on other players' targets.

Your job is to kill things and try to keep your team mates alive. Get to the front of the battle and you will find yourself rezzing quickly. Avoid being the statistic and become the one who makes the statistics.

Edited by ForceWelder

Thank you. I do have some experience in combating the 'my other character is a tank!' play style syndrome. :) I just want to ensure that I am not creating additional challenges to overcome in addition to the inevitable ones. Edited by DomiSotto

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.