New Cartel Market Idea

So I want to get some other players opinion on this.

I think we all agree it can be frustrating spending real money to get Cartel Coins, to buy a Cartel Pack, and keep getting the same items over and over. Now I understand it is a random draw when you purchase one. I get that. But say someone wants a particular item (e.g Tulak Hord helmet). You look on the GTN and its 20, 30, or even 40 million credits. You buy the packs but you never get it. What about if on the Cartel Market, they had the option where you could spend X amount of Cartel Coins for any ONE SINGLE Super Rare Item? For instance, I want a Tulak Hord helmet but its too incredibly expensive on the GTN, and I don't want to waste money (real money) on the CHANCE I might get one in a pack. So, imagine a list of the Super Rare Items and the helmet is say, 800-1,000 Cartel Coins. This way Bioware still earns money, I get the exact SINGLE item I want, and its unlikely the GTN would get flooded with cheap Super Rare Items.

Those are my thoughts. How about all of you guys?

Bioware would loose money by doing this and it would destabilize the in-game economy.

I'm not sure I see how. I mean I understand the concern that it could happen but, it seems like it would work out better for everyone in the end. There would still be people buying packs. There's a lot of handy stuff in them! And they already have various item pieces available in the Cartel Market already like armor and equipment

You buy the packs but you never get it. What about if on the Cartel Market, they had the option where you could spend X amount of Cartel Coins for any ONE SINGLE Super Rare Item? For instance, I want a Tulak Hord helmet but its too incredibly expensive on the GTN, and I don't want to waste money (real money) on the CHANCE I might get one in a pack. So, imagine a list of the Super Rare Items and the helmet is say, 800-1,000 Cartel Coins.

Some people spend lots of real-world money buying multiple hypercrates in an (often misguided) attempt to get the one piece they want.

You're suggesting that BioWare make popular pieces available on demand for less than 1/5 of the price of a single hypercrate.

Think about what this might mean for their revenue stream.

If they did this (they won't) they would peg the price to the current cartel market value, just as they did with black/black dye. Do that math in your head, and then ask yourself if that's really what you want.

The real problem is that many people really do enjoy opening random packs. Some people make a lot of money trading on the GTN. Just because you don't is a silly reason to assume that no one does. Just look at the GTN for proof that many people do. Also, we're humans, and it's part of our nature. We like surprise. We're curious.

Instead of advocating a change to the fundamental principles of the Cartel Market, why don't you just buy packs and sell the unopened? If you don't enjoy opening packs and don't want to hold onto items to resell them later, then just use the shortcut: buy packs, wait out the timer, sell them unopened. Steady profit, low risk, and in time you will accumulate enough to buy what you actually want.

Selling packs is really the way to go - if you don't really care what you're gonna get then open the packs, otherwise purchase and sell unopened.

I recently purchased a hypercrate off the GTN for 5m credits. Once opened and a few items kept, I managed to raise more or less the 5m I'd spent by selling what I didn't want.

So I repeated - 5m spent, this time only 3m made back. I did keep a couple more of the items this time around and of course my reputation was increased.

But boxes are just that, a risk and as people "go mad" over them they are never going to make it easier to get the bits you want.

Only way to win with gamble boxes is to not gamble and not purchase!

Im one of the people who enjoys playing the "Homer Simpson Lotto" :D

(Open pack, get a good item, "Woohoo!", open pack, get junk, "DOH!")

I open packs for decos mainly, so i use the decos and sell everything else i dont want from the packs (except those stupid unsellable xp boosts, nasty boostes, we hates them!) I usually end up recouping what i spent.

But as others said, i -never- open packs expecting to get specific items. If i get something i like, good deal, if i get stuff i dont like, sell sell sell.

Edited by XiamaraSimi