Master Yoda Respect Thread

Aurbere

This is interesting:

Yoda's knowledge of the Force makes him just as powerful as Darth Sidious.

—Star Wars: Mysteries of the Jedi

I suppose it only confirms what we already know but still interesting and a good accolade.

And then this also caught my eye:

It seemed to Luke that the Jedi Master chose the moment of his passing. It was as if Yoda had completed the last of his great tasks for the galaxy and now he was allowing nature to take its course. It was entirely possible, Luke thought, that Yoda had kept himself alive for all these years through his own personal power, refusing to perish until he finished training the last Jedi.

—Galaxy Guide 5: Return of the Jedi Second Edition

Seems Yoda could have been immortal/extended his lifespan if he wanted too, but chose not too.

It seemed to Luke that the Jedi Master chose the moment of his passing. It was as if Yoda had completed the last of his great tasks for the galaxy and now he was allowing nature to take its course. It was entirely possible, Luke thought, that Yoda had kept himself alive for all these years through his own personal power, refusing to perish until he finished training the last Jedi.

Seems Yoda could have been immortal/extended his lifespan if he wanted too, but chose not too.

Maybe, maybe not:

Yoda heared Luke's pleas that he could not die, but Yoda firmly admonished Skywalker and told him that he was not so strong in the Force that he could avert death, and, besides, he had earned his rest.

Source: Star Wars Fact File #118

Mmm, well I suppose it would help if we actually knew what his normal life span should be.

Yaddle was 500 odd and going strong when she sacrificed herself, but then she was supposed to be every bit as powerful as Yoda, so that probably isn't a great person to compare him to :o

Yaddle was 500 odd and going strong when she sacrificed herself, but then she was supposed to be every bit as powerful as Yoda, so that probably isn't a great person to compare him to :o

I wouldn't say every bit, there are sources that put Mace above Yaddle.

I wouldn't say every bit, there are sources that put Mace above Yaddle.

Not in canon tbh, she tends to be dead by the time he gets his good accolades.

@Beni: Every force user prolongs their life, unless they're corrupted by the Dark Side. Jedi have a far above average life span. Best example probably being Dooku, 80 odd with the body of a 40 year old, according to most sources. I guess it's just more obvious with Yoda since he'd usually live well into his 500's anyway.

Wasn't Yaddle on the Council in TPM?

Qui-Gon brought his eyes back to Mace Windu and Yoda, the ones he must convince, the ones most respected and powerful of those who sat in judgment.

—The Phantom Menace novel

@Beni: Every force user prolongs their life, unless they're corrupted by the Dark Side. Jedi have a far above average life span. Best example probably being Dooku, 80 odd with the body of a 40 year old, according to most sources. I guess it's just more obvious with Yoda since he'd usually live well into his 500's anyway.

Sure, but its a question of extent, in this case it's implied that Yoda was extending his lifespan past the point he was supposed to die, that's different from being fit and healthy in old age.

I'd assume Dooku would have still died at a normal if not venerable age.

@Aurbere

Fantastic work.

This is interesting:

Yoda's knowledge of the Force makes him just as powerful as Darth Sidious.

—Star Wars: Mysteries of the Jedi

I suppose it only confirms what we already know but still interesting and a good accolade.

This assessment is valid in canon. However, Dark Empire Palpatine is on a whole new level in comparison.

This proves nothing; it is just an assumption of Luke Skywalker. Yoda himself reminded Luke that natural death cannot be avoided.

Yoda didn't officially achieve corporeal immorality like Vitiate. His lifespan is natural.

Edited by S_W_LeGenD

I lol'ed.

Vitiate is the only individual who seems to have achieved corporeal immortality or artificially extended his corporeal lifespan [in original body] like The Ones. Master Fay came close. Yoda's corporeal lifespan is natural; his species is noted to have much longer lifespan then most.

Edited by S_W_LeGenD

Vitiate is the only individual who seems to have achieved corporeal immortality or artificially extended his corporeal lifespan [in original body] like The Ones. Master Fay came close. Yoda's corporeal lifespan is natural; his species is noted to have much longer lifespan then most.
I was laughing at the gratuitous mention of Vitiate, nobody cares. :rolleyes: Edited by Beniboybling

What about Darth Krayt?

What about Darth Krayt?

Vong experiments prolonged his life.

From Star Wars: The Essential Guide to Warfare

His lifespan extended by Vong experiments, Krayt secretly rebuilt the Order's numbers, and waited for a chance to cast down the Jedi and reclaim power.

---

Still worked. Legend has also forgotten about Plagueis.

Darth Plagueis's corporeal immortality is not officially confirmed. He managed to increase his midichlorian count and attain youthful appearance at old age through his experiments. But it is unclear if he could extend his corporeal lifespan for centuries, he may have in due time if he had fully mastered the art of midichlorian manipulation but he was stopped.

Edited by S_W_LeGenD

Determined never again to be caught off guard, he had trained himself to go without sleep, and had devoted two standard decades to day-and-night experimentation with midi-chlorian manipulation and attempts to wrest a few last secrets from the Force, so that he—and presumably his human apprentice—might live forever. His inward turn had enabled him to master the equally powerful energies of order and disorder, creation and entropy, life and death.

Mastery over midi-chlorian manipulation confirmed tbh. And Krayt achieved immortality regardless of how he did it.

Edited by Beniboybling