So.. How exactly does a Sith Lord become a Dark Lord of the Sith (Roleplay)

isimanage

Im wondering how a Lord of the Sith can become a Dark Lord of the Sith (roleplay wise)

Is it enough to have a big power base? Is it nessecary to kill someone higher then you?

I mean i would like to look forward to this, because there is no real information about this.

If i think im strong enough, i could declare myself a Darth, isnt it like that?

Edited by isimanage

If i think im strong enough, i could declare myself a Darth, isnt it like that?

If you have a serious wish to die, sure.

The Empire has a strict hierarchy. You are raised up by your superiors. There was a time when Jedi-Knights could declare themselves Masters, but that ended more than 400 years before this game. You do not simply wake up one day and decide to introduce yoursellf as a Darth now. A dark council member has to ascend people into that rank. A Darth can, in his own time and as his own right, promote an apprentice to the rank of Lord. However, for one to ascend from Lord to Darth, it takes at least one Darth to do it. A superior Sith will think about it when you are ready. You don't just wake up and say: "Alright, now I am a Darth. Everyone, respect me now!". If anything that disrespectful attitude will get your character killed.

Dark Lord of the Sith is another matter. That title is restricted to the rulers of the Sith and/or the Sith Empire. In this period the dark council holds this title. So, both Darth Marr and Darth Nox are "Dark Lord of the Sith", since the council leads the Empire in the Emperors absence (and since recent events, probably officially too). To become a Dark Lord of the Sith, the council must vote for you to join them. You can't just declare yourself a council member. As soon as a spot opens up (be that through a death at old age, someone stepping down or a "death at old age") the council can choose a Darth or an advanced Lord to fill up the seat. If a Lord is immensely powerful and has a very big powerbase, I can see them raising him to the rank of Darth while putting him on the council. However, your average Lord will probably not find consideration when people like Darth Zash, Darth Skotia and Darth Baras were not officially on the dark council.

So, don't go around suddenly declaring yourself a Dark Lord of the Sith. It simply doesn't make sense to claim to be a dark council member.

Also: Better move this post to Lore discussion/roleplay forums.

Edited by Alssaran

So, don't go around suddenly declaring yourself a Dark Lord of the Sith. It simply doesn't make sense to claim to be a dark council member.

This right here. There are only a few members of the Dark Council. Claiming to be one IC will only get a player laughed at. If I were to even bother to try to stay IC after such a claim (rather than just ignoring, maybe even /ingore ing, the character), I would RP that the person must be delusional.

Edited by branmakmuffin

If you have a serious wish to die, sure.

The Empire has a strict hierarchy. You are raised up by your superiors. There was a time when Jedi-Knights could declare themselves Masters, but that ended more than 400 years before this game. You do not simply wake up one day and decide to introduce yoursellf as a Darth now. A dark council member has to ascend people into that rank. A Darth can, in his own time and as his own right, promote an apprentice to the rank of Lord. However, for one to ascend from Lord to Darth, it takes at least one Darth to do it. A superior Sith will think about it when you are ready. You don't just wake up and say: "Alright, now I am a Darth. Everyone, respect me now!". If anything that disrespectful attitude will get your character killed.

Actually, you do. Or rather, you should, for it to really mean something. The trick is to actually have the power to back it up without, as you say, getting killed.

The Sith hierarchy is a joke. Sith who truly live up to the Sith code should be answerable only to themselves or to the dark side. Furthermore there should only be one leader and that leader should be the strongest. While Vitiate was in charge this was met. But now? Being meek and following the rules is the absolute antithesis of what the Darth title should stand for- "a claim of supremacy... used by Dark Lords who sought to enforce their will on other Masters... a challenge, a warning to bow down or be destroyed."

That's the lore, if you want to RP as a "true Sith". Of course if you go this route, you would and should be challenged and if you're not strong enough, you won't survive. As it should be.

Unless the people you're with insist on using only this game's rules. I think that's lame, but that's just opinion.

Actually, you do. Or rather, you should, for it to really mean something. The trick is to actually have the power to back it up without, as you say, getting killed.

The Sith hierarchy is a joke. Sith who truly live up to the Sith code should be answerable only to themselves or to the dark side. Furthermore there should only be one leader and that leader should be the strongest. While Vitiate was in charge this was met. But now? Being meek and following the rules is the absolute antithesis of what the Darth title should stand for- "a claim of supremacy... used by Dark Lords who sought to enforce their will on other Masters... a challenge, a warning to bow down or be destroyed."

That's the lore, if you want to RP as a "true Sith". Of course if you go this route, you would and should be challenged and if you're not strong enough, you won't survive. As it should be.

Unless the people you're with insist on using only this game's rules. I think that's lame, but that's just opinion.

A very fine post!

To which I would add - the strongest sith at the top needs to also have an aura of fear that has close ties with the powerbase around him. Where does it stop? What's its true extent? If I side with Lord such and such is he not being a double agent for Caesar?

Otherwise, and unless he's so powerful he's able to take on all the other darths single handedly, he goes the way of the most dangerous foes in warzones... instantly globalled. So, divide to conquer. I would bet that countless acolytes showed their superiority too soon on Korriban and got ganked...

Indeed. The title of Dark Lord of the Sith should be held by one only - the strongest Sith. I'm not a fan of this Dark Council system, or even Vitiate's thousand year reign and the Empire as a whole. It diminishes the lore that was already established imo.