The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Revan Canon?

MongooseRaider

So here's something to think about. When Disney purchased the rights and dynasty that is Star Wars, they did away with the Expanded Universe in its entirety, so the video games, books, everything other than the movies and shows were done away with. But, here's something to think about.

If they did away with the entirety of the expanded universe, but kept Bane, this means that Revan, also, is technically canon. Now, my argument behind this is simple . During the last season of the Clone Wars television show, which Disney has come out to say is accepted as part of their continued canon they introduced Bane as an antagonist for Yoda to overcome and he gave a rather powerful speech about his dynasty being to create the Rule of Two which had lasted over a thousand years. However, Bane's main influence in the creation of the Rule of Two, according to his now Legends series of books, indicates that his main influence in the creation of the Rule of Two was a holocron of the teachings of Revan he had unearthed during his sojourn into plumbing the depths of the power of the dark side.

So here's a question for you folks to consider. While I understand the love and fixation people have on Revan and the potential he could possibly have in the franchise for years to come. But given all of that, would you prefer Revan to be officially canon and come full force into the Disney Star Wars universe, or would you prefer that he stay a mythical figure, a legend in the Star Wars universe for people to idolize and form their own stories around?

So here's something to think about. When Disney purchased the rights and dynasty that is Star Wars, they did away with the Expanded Universe in its entirety, so the video games, books, everything other than the movies and shows were done away with. But, here's something to think about.

If they did away with the entirety of the expanded universe, but kept Bane, this means that Revan, also, is technically canon. Now, my argument behind this is simple . During the last season of the Clone Wars television show, which Disney has come out to say is accepted as part of their continued canon they introduced Bane as an antagonist for Yoda to overcome and he gave a rather powerful speech about his dynasty being to create the Rule of Two which had lasted over a thousand years. However, Bane's main influence in the creation of the Rule of Two, according to his now Legends series of books, indicates that his main influence in the creation of the Rule of Two was a holocron of the teachings of Revan he had unearthed during his sojourn into plumbing the depths of the power of the dark side.

So here's a question for you folks to consider. While I understand the love and fixation people have on Revan and the potential he could possibly have in the franchise for years to come. But given all of that, would you prefer Revan to be officially canon and come full force into the Disney Star Wars universe, or would you prefer that he stay a mythical figure, a legend in the Star Wars universe for people to idolize and form their own stories around?

The problem with this is that the books are legends. They're not part of disney canon or even Bane's canon. Disney might decide to Canonize Revan but as it stands right now nothing about Revan is canon. Not even his existence. To be truthful this entire game isn't canon.

I admitted that this is true, I even noted in my original post that the books were part of the Legends series. I merely thought it was something interesting/ amusing to think about and to find out what people thought of the potential and what they would want given the possibility.

Thank you for your reply. What are your thoughts though on the possibility of Revan being possibly canon. Would you want him in the main universe/ continuity or would you want him to stay as a mythical figure?

I admitted that this is true, I even noted in my original post that the books were part of the Legends series. I merely thought it was something interesting/ amusing to think about and to find out what people thought of the potential and what they would want given the possibility.

Thank you for your reply. What are your thoughts though on the possibility of Revan being possibly canon. Would you want him in the main universe/ continuity or would you want him to stay as a mythical figure?

I wouldn't mind so long as they make it a good story. To me that's all that matters. As long as something adds to a story rather than detracts from it it's a good thing. Personally I really want Disney to explore the old republic era. There's also a lot of the EU I'd like to see Canon and I can't imagine this era without any mention of Revan to be honest.

I wouldn't mind so long as they make it a good story. To me that's all that matters. As long as something adds to a story rather than detracts from it it's a good thing. Personally I really want Disney to explore the old republic era. There's also a lot of the EU I'd like to see Canon and I can't imagine this era without any mention of Revan to be honest.

I absolutely agree on the wanting to see their take on the Old Republic, though that likely isn't going to happen until they're finished with this upcoming trilogy and probably a couple of the spin off stories before they consider going back that far due to having to establish themselves as a formidable holder of the brand and ensure that they maintain the fan base and give them the characters they're familiar with on the big screen and in the books.

Again, thank you for the reply and your thoughts.

It's kind of a pseudo-canon. Darth Bane still exists in the new canon, but anything written about him outside of that Clone Wars episode is in flux. You could choose to still consider it canon until something directly contradicts it, or you could disregard it entirely.

I treat most of the Clone Wars era stuff the same way. Particularly since new material seems more inclined to pull from the old continuity, rather than rewrite it. You can still safely say that most of it is just as canon as it always was. Particularly in the case of the Old Republic Era, which has always kinda been its own thing anyway.

It's really only the Post-RotJ stories that have been wiped away. I mean, sure, there's nothing saying that Dash Rendar still exists in the new timeline, but there's nothing that says he doesn't either.

This type of "domino canon" has been debunked repeatedly before. If Bane is canon, than so is Revan, and if Revan is canon, then the KOTOR comics are canon. If those are canon, then Celeste Morne is canon, which also makes the Legacy comics canon, which in turn makes the Yuuzhan Vong canon. If the Vong are canon, then the Swarm War is canon. The new movies take place in 36 ABY, right where the Swarm War was in the EU, and Episode VII obviously isn't about Killiks.

To me, it's a simple matter of intelligence. Disney either has some, or they don't.

Canonization of Bane, via the Clone Wars, CAN be a smart move. He's a popular character, and fairly new as well. However, his popularity and recent creation are jeopardized for Disney if they change him too much. Which is why I heavily suspect Disney won't touch him with a ten foot pole. Revan, unfortunately, would fit the same scenario. Disney only 'wins,' so to speak, by leaving these characters alone or canonizing them. But until they've established a new trilogy, I expect any decision on that front to remain up for debate.

This... isn't how it works.

Saying: "The character of Darth Bane is Canon, so the Legends story where he learned from Darth Revan's holocron must be Canon, too."

Is like saying: "The character of Luke Skywalker is Canon, so the Legends story where he fought the Dragon Lords of Drexel between Episodes IV and V must be Canon, too."

There can be, and already often is, a Legends 'version' of a character and Canon 'version', even for a character who never appeared in any of the movies - for one example (MINOR SPOILERS FOR DARK DISCIPLE): Jedi Master Tholme, master of Quinlan Vos, is a character in both the Legends and Canon continuities, but in the Legends continuity he survives the Clone Wars and Order 66, while in the Canon continuity he is killed fighting the Separatists during the Clone Wars. By the same token, it would be completely possible for Bane to have learned from Revan's holocron in the Legends continuity but to have had a completely different inspiration in Canon continuity.