The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Vanguard orientated PvP questions.

Voice_GS

Hello all.

First of all let me apologise if this topic has already been covered. But, I have google searched and searched this forum for the answers I seek and couldn't find any. So I'm sorry if I missed something out there already.

These questions relate to possible 1v1 in OWPvP and normal WZ.

The questions I have regarding this amazing class so far is as follows:

I want to play as a Tactics Vanguard but, I was wondering do tactics specced troopers have good survivability that PvP tanks do?

What are useful Utilities to pick?

Even if I stay tactics should I gear up with shield and absorption rating mods? Or just go out full power, alacrity and surge?

Could you give me a break down on what stats I should go for as a Tactic Vanguard please?

One final question is: Is a Tank specced Trooper viable in PvP?

Thank you so much for the time you could take in answering my questions.

Voice

Hello all.

I want to play as a Tactics Vanguard but, I was wondering do tactics specced troopers have good survivability that PvP tanks do?

What are useful Utilities to pick?

Even if I stay tactics should I gear up with shield and absorption rating mods? Or just go out full power, alacrity and surge?

Could you give me a break down on what stats I should go for as a Tactic Vanguard please?

One final question is: Is a Tank specced Trooper viable in PvP?

Thank you so much for the time you could take in answering my questions.

Voice

The class does very good, predictable, burst. It is not the most survivable class, but the damage it deals more than makes up for that. Surviving a 1v1 is skill and class balance. Some classes are not very easy for vanguards to beat. Surviving in PvP is more or less knowing when to go in, and when not to.

Utilities can vary if you are solely doing 1v1 or if you are doing regs or ranked. Personally, I do more warzones than anything else. So, I took my utilities as such.

Muzzle Augs- Getting that extra range on your attack that slows the enemy is nice. It also allows you to shoot people from above in huttball (both)

Battlefield Training - running faster is good in all situations

Entangling heat - a must.

Sonic Rebounder - amazing for group play. Obviously terrible for 1v1. Try it out. It behooves us to use our taunt as often as possible, which other people appreciate.

Electro Shield - I am currently using this for more damage. We are a burst class after all.

Advance the Line - considering switching electro shield to this.

Guard Cannon - has kept me alive so many times.

Emergency Stims - another stun break? yes.

GEAR:

Don't mix your purpose. You are either a dps, or a tank. If you want to be tactics, be tactics.

As far as stats:

Many of the ranks vanguards are going for all power/surge.

Since we are a burst spec, with reliable burst, we should try to exploit that as best we can, by hitting as hard as we can.

I don't see the need for alacrity. Our fights don't last long enough to get the extra global from alacrity. I don't have problems with energy management, so i don't need it for that either. Also, having my grenades activate mildly sooner won't affect the fight more than them hitting much harder by having more power.

The big debate is power or aim augments. I went with power. I want to hit like a truck, all the time. I'm not so concerned with the crit I would get from doing mainstat. If you want crit, so you don't rely on your armor set bonus and battle focus so much, then do main stat.

The diminishing returns on crit start getting pretty bad around 25%. So, if you hit 25% crit with the gear you have, then switch your last augments to power.

Our damage burst is reliable because you use battle focus, apply sicky grenage, then assault plastique, then tactical surge. Those three abilities should activate hopefully one or both of your relics. You can then slam the enemy with your cell burst and high impact bolt for massive damage.

We don't need much crit, because the tactical surge makes the cell burst and auto crit due to our armor set bonus. Also, your passives gives you an extra 7% crit for assault plastique. Therefore, even with 20% crit, your AP will have a crit chance of 27%. Then add the extra 25% from battle focus and you're doing pretty well.

Surge starts having diminishing returns at around 70%, but it doesn't get really bad till 75%, so you should try to get 75% crit bonus.

With 75% crit bonus, and 0 alacrity or crit mods, you can easily have over 2150 power. Thats gonna cause some damage. If you get your power up to 2100, you will still have room for a little accuracy, or a little crit. I chose the implant with power/accuracy, and I left the accuracy mod on my ranked leg armor. But, I think you get the idea. 75% crit bonus, then 19-23% crit, then the rest power with maybe a little accuracy.

Edited by Malvantyr