Are you thinking of coming back to the game or have just returned?

Fhury

Hi everyone,

I wanted to post about just how much fun I am having after coming back to the game. I played SWTOR when it first came out and did enjoy it but for whatever reason I did not stay long. After looking at the forums and reading up on some of the cool new things they added, I figured I would give it another try, and I am glad I did!

Lot's of stuff seems to have changed for the better in my opinion. I love the legacy stuff, and even like the Cartel market stuff you can buy. Right now with the 12x story exp it makes it even better.

I am an altoholic so I Am trying lot's of classes right now, and so far they have all been a blast :) But I Am leaning towards Bounty hunter I think.

Some helpful sites and posts I have found interesting to read as follows:

Dulfy.net http://dulfy.net/ Great info site with lots of guides on classes.

Stronghold starter guide. http://swtorstrongholds.com/stronghold-starter-guide/

Into mini pets and stuff? check this one out! http://tor-fashion.com/pets/

Keybinding help- http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=147661

And here is a good starter guide for brand new players. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=612

Now I know there are a lot of other posts with all kinds of great info in them as well, I just wanted to do a little too and show my appreciation to the folks who own these web sites as well as those who made the guides. It is worth the read :) I hope a new or returning player will find this post to be of some help. Also check my signature for the refer a friend info, feel free to use me as your referal or don't :) but check out the links so you see what you get if you do use someone as your referral. Both parties get some nice things. Anyhow, I hope this was worth a read and it helps you out. Enjoy the game, it's a great time to sub up too, they have a deal going on where you get a new companion as well as some nifty new goodies. May the force be with you!

Something I forgot to add is if you are like me and love mini pets check out the different sites that sell the cartel coin cards such as amazon and others, I bought some through amazon and got the rancor mini pets :) Not sure how long the promo lasts but get while they are there :) Love my mini pets hehe

Edited by Fhury

Nice post. The only thing I would add, not only being a relatively new player to the game (right at the launch of SoR) but new to MMOs and PC gaming in general, Youtube was a huge help in learning the ropes of fighting (using a keyboard as apposed to controller), rotations, and even gearing. I'm someone that learns better watching it rather than reading it.

Oh and ignore the haters in Flashpoints and Warzone PvP, but take advice when offered. Watch the stories if you haven't seen them before, no matter how many SPACEBAR!!!!!s you see in chat. Have fun.

Oh and ignore the haters in Flashpoints and Warzone PvP, but take advice when offered. Watch the stories if you haven't seen them before, no matter how many SPACEBAR!!!!!s you see in chat. Have fun.

If you are new and doing a flashpoint for the first time, a quick "Hey I'm new/returning to the game and would like to watch the cutscenes" is usually all you need. Mind it may cause someone to drop due to time constraints, but better that then being yelled at the entire time and them leaving halfway through in a fit. Most folks are pretty understanding, and giving them a heads up will save yourself, and other folks, a headache! :)

Keybinding help- http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=147661

And here is a good starter guide for brand new players. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=147661

Good info. But you used same link for both of the above.

Goshee's VERY old guide is still a pretty good starting place for newbies. Link here.

It's in the list in the top sticky in this sub-forum. Which I suggest every new player start with.

Edited by DocDAM

Ok, fixed the link, and thank you for catching that :) If anyone has any other cool tips or tricks or stuff that might help a new or returning player please feel free to add to this post.

NIce links for new players.

I am not sure how much we are supposed to tell players to click referral links. I actually do not know, I never write about it in my posts except what my signature shows.

Edited by Icestar

NIce links for new players.

I am not sure how much we are supposed to tell players to click referral links. I actually do not know, I never write about it in my posts except what my signature shows.

No need for your post on this. I offer the links to show them, if they chose to use me great, if not that is also posted. Please don't post just to bring out what you think is in your opinion wrong, as it has nothing to do with this thread at all.

No need for your post on this. I offer the links to show them, if they chose to use me great, if not that is also posted. Please don't post just to bring out what you think is in your opinion wrong, as it has nothing to do with this thread at all.

No need to be hostile, I simply posted that I do not know how much we are supposed to be writing about referrals in our posts. I know that our signature is 100% legal but how much we can talk about it in our posts is a question that I actually would like to know.

It has something to do with your thread, read it again and you will see.

Edited by Icestar

Not hostile at all, you are just derailing this thread with something you could ask a mod about. IT does not belong here is all. I would kindly ask you to edit your post and remove it please. IF I did something wrong I Am sure I would know about it. And that was not the intention of this thread.

Not hostile at all, you are just derailing this thread with something you could ask a mod about. IT does not belong here is all. I would kindly ask you to edit your post and remove it please. IF I did something wrong I Am sure I would know about it. And that was not the intention of this thread.

I was commenting on something that you wrote yourself regarding referral links. It was definitely within the topic, if you happen to disagree then there is not much I can do about it.

Also check my signature for the refer a friend info, feel free to use me as your referal or don't :) but check out the links so you see what you get if you do use someone as your referral. Both parties get some nice things. Anyhow, I hope this was worth a read and it helps you out. Enjoy the game, it's a great time to sub up too, they have a deal going on where you get a new companion as well as some nifty new goodies. May the force be with you!

I have no intention to comment this further

Edited by Icestar

It's OK, I get you are trolling the thread. It is a shame. Anyhow back on topic. Please folks forgive the above posts. I think she is jealous I may get a referral for trying to do something nice for the community. This thread was not about nit picking my thread apart as she has done. It is about helping others and letting people know how much I am enjoying myself in the game right now.

IF I did something wrong I am sure I will hear about it. Please understand that was not my intention. I don't want this thread to die over on troll. So let's keep it going and enjoy each others company :)

I put her on ignore and have moved past this. We really do not need to keep it going do we?

I agree the post should just go on but I wouldn't go so far as to ignore her unless things got ugly. Try talking with her. Most of the time these things are simple misunderstandings and I think she had a valid post on referrals. Sounds like she was just trying to warn you or find out more info on whether it's okay to talk about them or not. She's probably a very helpful person also. Try to un-ignore her at some point and maybe drop her a line in game and work it out. I've made a lot of good friends that way :)

I'm also a returning player. I quit playing right after it went F2P and I quit for a lot of reasons. Mainly there just wasn't much to do end game wise and there were a lot of things that really annoyed me about the game. With the new expansion coming out I thought I'd come back and see what all is changed and wow has a lot changed. Abilities are now free and you don't have to constantly fly back to the fleets like you used to. Upgrading/modding gear is now so much easier and I've noticed all kinds of little things that just make the game so much smoother than it used to be. Now if they'd just get rid of that loading screen when I alt-tab out I'd be happy. I can't speak for the end game but it looks like they've added a whole lot of new stuff to do. Strongholds are a definite plus that I'm looking forward to. Also it'll be nice to have some new cinematic storylines. That's the games strongest point and something they really need to add more of. So far I'm having a good time. It's all so familiar yet everything is so different at the same time. It's almost like playing a new game. I don't really like their F2P model very much though but at least people have a choice. Personally I just think it's way too punishing on free players but who knows, maybe some of them get off cheaper by buying some of the stuff they need here and there instead of subbing? It won't really effect me regardless since I plan on getting a sub once my 7 days are over. :D

Anyway, thanks for all the links. I'm checking some of them out.

Edited by DarthBubba

If you are new and doing a flashpoint for the first time, a quick "Hey I'm new/returning to the game and would like to watch the cutscenes" is usually all you need.

This.

I don't mind watching the cutscenes/dialogues, but I hate skipping trough them and then being stuck in the final frozen scene, waiting forever until everyone is finished. I never "ask" others to skip, though, if someone doesn't skip, I join in and enjoy the next cutscenes.

I also returned after a few month's break about three days ago and I am loving it just as much as I always had.... maybe even more, seeing how much has been changed/improved upon!

I had played since beta, but was forced to take a few breaks due to uni and family stuff.

Anyway, I can certainly confirm one thing: There has never been a better time to return (and become a sub) than now - especially with this XP bonus for main story quests running right now!

There has never been a better time to return (and become a sub) than now - especially with this XP bonus for main story quests running right now!

One big reason to come back now is to get the pre expansion gifts, it is today that we have to be subbed to get the companion for example.

Edited by Icestar