The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Turbolaser vs. Lightsaber

Okay, settle a debate for me. (This has been going on in good spirits for years). Can a Jedi deflect a turbolaser bolt with his lightsaber? I always reasoned it was too big and had too much velocity even for them, they argue that blasters bolts and turbloaser shots are essentially weightless so a Jedi could take out a star destroyer from the surface of a planet with good swingin' skills.

Thoughts?

Okay, settle a debate for me. (This has been going on in good spirits for years). Can a Jedi deflect a turbolaser bolt with his lightsaber? I always reasoned it was too big and had too much velocity even for them, they argue that blasters bolts and turbloaser shots are essentially weightless so a Jedi could take out a star destroyer from the surface of a planet with good swingin' skills.

Thoughts?

I'm not really that well versed in the EU but I'm fairly sure that if the Jedi only uses their lightsaber they will die due to, like you said, the size, velocity but also (I think) the larger amount of energy in a turbolaser bolt. However I think I remember Luke Skywalker absorbing the energy of one via tutaminis but don't quote me on that.

If I recall correctly, in the new cannon there are feats of early Vader accurately deflecting a freighters turbolaser fire and causing it to be destroyed.

In Legends, Luke deflected AT-AT fire with his lightsaber, but I think at that time he was without the force... This one though I have only heard through others so I am not sure on the details.

Another similar feat is Jacen Solo raising a force barrier that was deflecting Star Destroyer fire during an orbital bombardment.

If I recall correctly, in the new cannon there are feats of early Vader accurately deflecting a freighters turbolaser fire and causing it to be destroyed.

In Legends, Luke deflected AT-AT fire with his lightsaber, but I think at that time he was without the force... This one though I have only heard through others so I am not sure on the details.

Another similar feat is Jacen Solo raising a force barrier that was deflecting Star Destroyer fire during an orbital bombardment.

How do you know so much? Can you give me any pointers?

How do you know so much? Can you give me any pointers?

Reading. Lots of reading...

That, or hang around the Star Wars Discussion forums for a while. You are bound to learn a few things about star wars with all of the different threads and such around here. Even all of the Vs threads are interesting since they help show case multiple characters at once.

Side Note: The Index is also very useful for finding past threads about specific topics.

Edited by Silenceo

Reading. Lots of reading...

That, or hang around the Star Wars Discussion forums for a while. You are bound to learn a few things about star wars with all of the different threads and such around here. Even all of the Vs threads are interesting since they help show case multiple characters at once.

Side Note: The Index is also very useful for finding past threads about specific topics.

Thanks a lot, I've now got something to do over summer :D

The freighters opened fire, writing thick lines of plasma onto the air. The shots churned the ground, destroyed trees, heated the air of the clearing; one slammed into the chest of a Royal Guard and vaporized all of him save for his helmet.

Lost in the Force, Vader anticipated the shots that would have hit him, saw the appropriate angles of impact and deflection, and used the rapid spinning of his lightsaber to turn first one, then a second, and then a third shot not into the tree line but back at the ships, the heat and energy of the blaster shots driving him backward, warming the hilt of his weapon, a heat he could feel even through his glove.

-- Lords Of The Sith

There's the freighter quote, although it should be noted, freighters use laser cannons. Turbolasers are a lot more powerful and are found on capital ships, space stations and the like, not really found on freighters.

The AT-AT also has laser cannons not turbolasers.

Still it's an impressive feat considering the freighter's shots were destroying trees, heating the air and vaporized a Royal Guardsman. Although he was driven backwards from the shots.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

A very powerful Force user might be able to by using all he has (as the Vader quote with "lost in the Force suggests) but your average Jedi/Sith will be vaporized, lightsaber deflection or no. Vader is a special case anyways with his reportedly rare ability to absorb energy - there's no other reason he or Obi-Wan would be alive after even approaching that lava river in EP3, much less fighting for minutes there.

Thoughts?

A "normal" jedi/sith...no

Exceptional jedi/sith like Luke or Vader...maybe, depending on the specific abilities of of the force user i.e. like Vader's ability to absorb energy (as already pointed out).