Is 30-59 Like 60? (Scoundrel vs. sage healing)

Kellindell

Im running around WZs with my friend, when we are together I go sawbones. We have been playing DPS/Healer combo for over ten years in various MMOs and we are good.

People are constantly hitting me for a quarter of my health, if I try to heal someone who is below 50% there is no way I can out heal DPS.

I know scoundrels operate mainly off HoTs, and I dont have a shield or an instant burst heal to buy me time to catch a persons health up. Ill throw everything I have on someone or myself and just watch them disintegrate.

However I see sages and sorcs throw their bubble up and laugh, whether they are DPS or heal spec they seem to out heal sawbones and out DPS them all from range. Whether they are specced heals or DPS they can do both very well at the same time.

Is this how it is at 60? Im only level 40 so id reroll now than later.

Im not worried about 60 with no gear. I know how MMOs go. I am more concerned with level 60 when gear and match ups are equal.

If things stay the same there is no way I will be able to save anyone.

I have 40k HP and 1833 exp at level 40. Someone just chained me for 11k, 8k, 7500 and someone else hit me for 9854.

While that was happening my heals were ticking in the 100s.

At level 60 in even match ups how does a scoundrel heal someone through the DPS of someone trying to take them out because right now it seems impossible.

I played this game when the latest expansion was hutt cartel. I played a sage and scoundrel to 30s and they felt even as far as healing went. DPS felt even just way different style.

Coming back to the same character I feel worthless when specced healing.

sages are the best healers, in the game, and your best defensives come at 51, along with some instant heals, and with the 'dodge up every 20 seconds' utility, your HOT's will make more sense, level 40 is bad to pvp at anyway.

the only levels you should really be pvping at in this game are 26-29, 57-59, (51+ if you REALLY need to pvp, but try to wait until 56) and that's for any class.

it depends on the skill of the healer, there some op/sage healers I can beat on for minutes and never even bring them down to 30%, other healers of the same classes can be dropped within a few globals, both scenarios are of my vigilance guardian on level 60's in a group battle where im the only smart one attacking the healer, and the healer is healing himself and his teammates with my pressure on him. gear and skill is what it seems to boil down to.

but having dps taunting, with having more than one healer pretty much makes an invincible reg team that people will confuse with 'being a premade'

Look up Icykill_'s thread on proper WZ gearing, that is part of the issue.

Scoundrels are quishy period, your best defense is "not getting hit in the first place"

Sorcs are the best healers in the game atm.

As a sorc, without bouble, I can still kite 2 people fairly easily, or hold off a node solo.

it does not change with 60, but the opposition gets tougher. Also you can get Healing Trance on the move + bouble heal at 60.

I run duo with a vanguard.

Right now we love my utility, the stealthing, stealthing him etc...

But my raw heals are bad, even with his DefCDs.

I also heard Sages are getting buffed and sawbones is getting nerfed in 3.3. Is that right?

I want to play a scoundrel, but I want to be effective in pvp. I have no aversion to playing a sage other than leveling again.

It seems there is no benefit to playing a scoundrel over a sage right now based off the feedback I get from everyone.

Unless I am missing something.

Scoundrels are perfectly fine at higher levels. Don't throw in the towel just yet. The best you can do is to stick with it and learn all you can while slowly leveling through PVP. Alternatively you can do class missions and quickly reach level +51 (Roll) before doing it again.

It does fell sub-par at your level, I vividly recall this feeling with my Scoundrel, but it will start to shine in the late 40'es and early 50'es.

Scoundrels are better at healing against sustained pressure, while sorcs are better vs burst. Burst might seem like a superior strategy now, but you'll find that sustain will start to become a lot more of a concern. Especially once you have a decent tank on your team. Tanks can neuter enemy burst but don't do much to counter sustained pressure. Don't ditch the scoundrel. Edited by Kakisback

Scoundrels are perfectly fine at higher levels. Don't throw in the towel just yet. The best you can do is to stick with it and learn all you can while slowly leveling through PVP. Alternatively you can do class missions and quickly reach level +51 (Roll) before doing it again.

It does fell sub-par at your level, I vividly recall this feeling with my Scoundrel, but it will start to shine in the late 40'es and early 50'es.

Scoundrel healing has a higher learning curve than sages. Commando is even more rough in my opinion.

That being said, the ceiling is very high for scoundrels, and you will see the best scoundrel healers can put up bigger numbers than sages. Often times it's circumstantial though.

Hottie has a guide, that specifically details the playstyle of a scoundrel healer in PVP. It is hands down, the best guide I seen for scoundrel healers. Check it out.

Hottie's Scoundrel/Ops Healing Guide

By all means do try a Sage too, you might find it comes easier to you, and levelling is not bad right now.

But one big thing that is coming your way soon is far better energy management so your healing will stop being limited by the need to use diagnostic scan all the time, losing the healing potential. The channels will become more viable, surgical probe is awesome, and the rolls are going to make things far more frustrating for the opposition. I haven't tried the roll yet on my midbie characters, I am waiting for them both to be 55 so I can use the old PvE bonus set on them. Can't wait to see how that will work out.

But, as said in your other thread, a lot of your frustrations come from being level 40 in the 30 to 59 bracket.

Scoundrel healing has a higher learning curve than sages. Commando is even more rough in my opinion.

Any point doing any PvP when levelling one in your opinion? Sorry, I know it's about the Scoundrel, and I had a blast levelling it and playing PvP, but I was kindda thinking to skip PvP on the Merc/Mando, 'cause, things. :)

Edited by DomiSotto

I'm playing a scoundrel now myself but I'm still in my 20ies. I also am not a full on healer, just have access to offheals.

My take on it ...

Like others have said, 30s and 40s are hard to PVP at. Depending on your server, you likely will find that the majority of the people in the queue are +55. This is because they rape in their bracket and they need the comms to get their gear at 60. And with the new limit for warzone comms set at 200k, they can just PVP all day and have enough comms to get their full DR set as soon as they hit 60. At that point they can take that PVP gear and just rape PVE content until they get their level 190 PVE ziost set.

The way the system is set, it all but pushes people who even remotely PVP for fun to get to 55 using the 12 XP and then do a complete switch of gears and PVP from 55 to 60. It is probably counter to what BW expect players to do since the solo PVE content is easy to do in the 50s, but for the PVP players doing the PVE content first is counter to their play style.

And with bolster, they aren't stressing on improving the gear they have on their toons when they hit 55. So being 59 in 55 level gear isn't an issue for them.

My recommendation to any pvp player? Do PVP in the low bracket (10 - 29) while you are leveling then stop PVPing. Get enough comms to get your level 40 pvp gear from your home planet (vendor by class trainer on home world). This gear should be better than what you can get from fleet vendors at 40. At that point you can switch back to PVPing when you at least have a semi-fighting chance. But a level +55 is probably still going to clobber anybody that isn't another +50 in mid bracket. It is what it is. And if you are a 30s or 40s level DPS trying to take out a healer that is +55 solo, you are probably wasting your time. They should be able to out heal anything you throw at them. At most you can just keep them preoccupied on self healing so they aren't devoting all of to other team players.

your healing will suffer if you're healing someone without SRM on them

that's key about sawbones healing. when you are about to heal someone, try to put SRM before you use anything else. if they are too low then put it afterwards, but always begin with it

whenever there is downtime, spread SRM to as many people as possible

your healing will suffer if you're healing someone without SRM on them

that's key about sawbones healing. when you are about to heal someone, try to put SRM before you use anything else. if they are too low then put it afterwards, but always begin with it

whenever there is downtime, spread SRM to as many people as possible

I noticed that, which is where to me the biggest difference is with sage and scoundrel. When a scoundrel comes upon a situation where someone needs attention fast they have to long of a wind up time where as a sage can throw a bubble to buy some time to get into a healing rotation.

Bioware needs to fix this issue with scoundrels. Its great in pve where you can X2 SRM and go back into stealth. But in pvp where you might be running to a point to reinforce it your chances of saving a defender who was there before you is slim to none.

Not to mention the sage can sprint and get there before you.