The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

I finally appreciate Obi-Wan

Strive-US

Throughout the first six first Star Wars movies, I never liked Obi-Wan. He wasn't a bad character, just uninspiring. In the original trilogy he was an old man who disappears early on the film after his confrontation with Vader. Obi-Wan might have been sagacious and confident, but he seemed less a master Jedi and more of a plot device to set Luke on the path to his ultimate destiny.

I thought the prequel trilogy would put him in a better light, but it did so only by slight degrees. The Phantom Menace is a wash since that's just a terrible movie overall. In Attack of the Clones he had some decent scenes, but still seemed more like an errand boy for the Jedi council. By Revenge of the Sith, Obi-Wan still has an unimpressive guise with the exception for his epic duel with Anakin towards the end. Still, Obi-Wan is just a one-dimensional guy in a robe with no flavor.

It wasn't until The Clone Wars series that I truly saw Obi-Wan portrayed in the manner he was always meant to be. He's not simply Obi-Wan, he's General Kenobi. He's on the front lines of the intergalactic war, being sent on far off missions and battling some of the galaxy's greatest villains (Grievous, Dooku, Maul, Mandalorians) and more often than not coming out on top. In truth, he is in the thick of it far more than most of the senior members of the Jedi order. He is both a valiant warrior on the battlefield and a sage mentor who finds time to dole out the occasional words of wisdom. He experiences deep personal losses, forms partnerships with unlikely allies, and discovers strange and exotic new worlds. Through these trials and tribulations, he becomes a very well-round character.

I finally get what Anakin meant when he said that Obi-Wan was "as wise as Master Yoda and as powerful as Master Windu." If Yoda is the brains of the Jedi council and Windu its strong arm, Obi-Wan is definitely a balance between the two--having the battlefield experience of a seasoned warrior and the cunning and intellect of a consummate survivor. Obi-Wan may have answered to Yoda and Windu, but now I see him as equal among them.

sounds to me like you let the unassuming front he puts up fool you.. Obi-wan isn't one of those guys whose constantly letting everyone know how awesome he is. he likewise doesn't particularly want to be told he's awesome (and tends to be eclipsed by the far showier Anakin) but he's when you look at it closely pretty awesome. there's a reason he sits on the Jedi council by episode 3

sounds to me like you let the unassuming front he puts up fool you.. Obi-wan isn't one of those guys whose constantly letting everyone know how awesome he is. he likewise doesn't particularly want to be told he's awesome (and tends to be eclipsed by the far showier Anakin) but he's when you look at it closely pretty awesome. there's a reason he sits on the Jedi council by episode 3

Because he is the quintessential Jedi.

The Clone Wars was great for a lot of character development. It gave me more appreciation for Anakin as well as Obi Wan (and the bond the two share). And it introduced some pretty cool characters to the SW universe. :o

I thought he was a great character all around. Certainly he is a "plot device" in Ep.IV, or at least an archetype, but I enjoyed him a lot in the prequel universe (frankly, one of the few characters that was consistent throughout and with his persona in the original trilogy).

The guy was essentially a warrior thrust into a mentorship role he was not comfortable with, and positions of power he wasn't comfortable with. Which made him a pretty decent player within the otherwise arrogant jedi leadership. He actually makes a perfect counter-weight to Palpatine, the "other mentor" who wanted a deferntial subject to teach and craved positions of authority.

EDIT: In terms of flaws. Firstly, I'm not sure how good of a general the guy actually was. His leadership style seems to be to personally attack the the opposing generals which has actually been considered pretty piss poor leadership IRL since Bosworth Field. Secondly, he perhaps should have been a bit more like his own mentor and been a bit less deferential to authority. He certainly didn't trust authority but then never really did anything to challenge it (the guy was right on the money about the Council, Chancellor and Senate but then did everything they instructed him to do).

- Arcada

Edited by Nydus

The Clone Wars was great for a lot of character development. It gave me more appreciation for Anakin as well as Obi Wan (and the bond the two share). And it introduced some pretty cool characters to the SW universe. :o

It did. It really fleshed out a lot of characters for a lot of people and it showed that even Anakin could be a teacher/mentor. It was actually a nice change from the whinny/angry Anakin we got in the movies.

Pretty much the ssame goes for me. Maybe even more. Until Clone Wars i actually idn't liked ObiWan at all. This Uberjedi, later "Wizzard" blah. Never got the idea behind his personality. The knack for my understanding was inC Clonewars, while he tried to recue Ducess Satene from Pre Vizla. Later she was kiled by Darth Maul just to make ObiWan suffer. At this moment I understood how awsome he is, and how the quintesential ideology of he Jedi work. At his moment ObiWan lived and acted through and by the Jedi Code entirely.

Pretty much the ssame goes for me. Maybe even more. Until Clone Wars i actually idn't liked ObiWan at all. This Uberjedi, later "Wizzard" blah. Never got the idea behind his personality. The knack for my understanding was inC Clonewars, while he tried to recue Ducess Satene from Pre Vizla. Later she was kiled by Darth Maul just to make ObiWan suffer. At this moment I understood how awsome he is, and how the quintesential ideology of he Jedi work. At his moment ObiWan lived and acted through and by the Jedi Code entirely.

I found Obi-wan and Satine absolutly fascinating because of the contrast between then and Anakin/Padme