What's it like to play on Harbinger from the East Coast?

CmdrShpd

Hi All,

I live in Southern California and play on the Harbinger. Later this year, I will be moving to New York. I'm part of a guild that I like, and I would really prefer not to switch to an East Coast server when I move. That said, with server transfers currently very cheap, I would consider switching if latency is likely to be a problem. For those of you who live on the East Coast and play on the Harbinger, could you tell me about your experiences? Do you have problems with latency? Thanks!

I am on East Coast and get 105 ms when I play on Harbinger. There is no noticeable difference in gameplay from East Coast servers.

Is it noticeable to the point that you prefer to play on East Coast servers?

I live in New England, and on East Coast Servers I got around 15ms ping. After transferring to Harbinger my ping sits at about 90-105ms. The difference in ping is minimal and does not genuinely cause a disturbance. You should be absolutely fine playing on Harbinger from New York.

Your biggest challenge will be when your guild wants to run something at 8pm PST/PDT, which means 11pm EST/EDT start time for you. This especially sucks if you have to wake up early the next day.

Good point.

Server latency is not an issue for me here in MD. The issue as stated is that the guild I am in runs stuff at 8PM Pacific time during the week and starting at 11PM just doesn't cut it for me. Most guilds seem to base their ops on Pacific time (which makes sense since Harbinger is a West Coast server) so it can be difficult participating in stuff.

Being able to participate in more things with other people is the main reason I am considering moving to an East Coast server.

I am in the western-most aspect of Eastern time zone. My ping to Harb is on the order of 100 ms. Its more than my Jedi Cov previous server but I don't notice a performance problem.

EDIT: in researching the best route to the server, I think that Harbinger is located somewhere in Santa Clara based on the ip 159.153.69.52 port 20068

Edited by phalczen

I am currently doing the same thing, I live on the east coast, and i play on the harbinger which is a west coast server, get as low as maybe 80ms or so, and sometimes i go up to 150ms or higher, and go from 4 bars to 3 bars randomly. Is there any way i can prevent this from happening? Or somehow lower my MS up under 80?