No turning back? (KotFE)

ForceMasterer

Knights of the Fallen Empire will take place much further in time than current SWTOR. I am assuming when you start the new expansion quests, you'll be put into the carbonite, kicking off the new expansion. However, does this mean that there's no going back? I mean if you start the new expansion are you unable to access past SWTOR content? The way I see it, either there's no going back or there's weird time travel at play. Now if it is a no going back type of thing, I'm fine with that. I'll just make a lvl 60 toon with their instant 60 thing and go from there. However, I'll probably keep my old toons on the old expansions because I like that old Star Wars content. Any other ideas on how this could play out?

You can still go back.. though it will be odd, in a manner of speaking, though it is so already, in ways. Visiting Korriban now and all the overseers and stuff are still alive as in pre-Forged Alliances and the world unblemished.

It would be neat if they brought everything up to date and renovated.. but that would be confusing for new players, and may require new NPCs/side missions

You can still go back.. though it will be odd, in a manner of speaking, though it is so already, in ways. Visiting Korriban now and all the overseers and stuff are still alive as in pre-Forged Alliances and the world unblemished.

It would be neat if they brought everything up to date and renovated.. but that would be confusing for new players, and may require new NPCs/side missions

Well i don't know how this is going to work then. Are they going to add a bunch of new planets and a bunch of new stages on the existing planets?

Well i don't know how this is going to work then. Are they going to add a bunch of new planets and a bunch of new stages on the existing planets?

new planets yes (we know of at least one new one, Bothawui, and probably a bunch more)

The old planets will not likely be changed at all, other than maybe a few new phased off caves/buildings etc.

It'll work just like it does now. The class stories take place over the span of a few years as it is, every time you go back to an earlier planet for whatever reason, you are already suspending belief. The prime example is the situation already mentioned with Korriban/Tython. It'll just be on all the planets now.

This is just my guess anyway, based on what the devs have said.

• 1 year later...

What about Phases like when you go to Korriban again around the Shadow of Revan you can decied to go to the Post Phases or Pre Phases from the Space Station

What about Phases like when you go to Korriban again around the Shadow of Revan you can decied to go to the Post Phases or Pre Phases from the Space Station

OK, this puzzled me, so I went to look.

Conclusion: the quoted text arises from a misunderstanding of the special meaning attached to "phase" in SWTOR.

A phase is an instanced area. Each group that goes into a phase has its own copy of the phase, and with a few exceptions, they cannot tell who is in a different copy of the same phase. (Example: player ships are phases, but all copies of the same class ship (the Trooper's BT-7 Thunderclap, for example) share a /general chat channel that is specific to BT-7 Thunderclaps.)

"Pre" Korriban is not a phase. It has a few phases in it (class mission phases, H2 phases), but most of it is NOT in a phase.

"Post" Korriban (more accurately, "During" Korriban, because it happens *during* the invasion(Pub version) or counter-attack(Imp version) of Korriban) is a Flashpoint, and consequently, it *is* a phase, but you cannot go to a non-phase version of "During" Korriban.

From the Vaiken Spacedock, you cannot take the shuttle to "Pre" Korriban if you have already earned your class ship.

From the Vaiken Spacedock, you can, indeed, go through a phase wall to reach "During" Korriban, but only by starting the flaspoint.

From the Korriban Orbital Station, you can go to the non-phased "Pre" Korriban.

"Post" Korriban just plain does not exist anywhere.

Oh, and nice necro, by the way.

Edited by SteveTheCynic