Best General Marauder Build for PvE

Belphegorn

Hi,

I'm a returning player who only just made it to level 60 as a Marauder. I still have Rishi and Yavin 4 stories to play through (!) but since I can finally use all my Perks and Abilities I was wondering which school/build I should choose to enjoy the game the most.

I closely follow http://www.dulfy.net which serves us with 3 distinctive and well tested builds for Annihilation, Carnage and Fury Marauders. However, I'd also like you to post your suggestions and ideas on which build you find best suitable for PvE Solo Story play. Is it better to DoT with Annihilation, Crit with Carnage or CC with Fury?

Thanks for reading and any potential input.

- Belphe

I, personally, play my Sentinel as Concentration (Fury, for Marauder?). Strong AoE for solo/questing, solid ST when necessary, great durability from Shii-Cho passives (and all the perks from the old Defensive Forms!) makes for a character with some serious power.

Carnage and Fury are good for solo but here is some differences(not a complete list but the ones that are more important IMO), pick the one you like better.

Carnage

2% base dmg reduction plus 6% damage reduction and 6% melee/range defense from Frenzied Sabers (2% pet Ataru hit, stacks 3 times and lasts 10 seconds)

No ramp up time for burst, Gore then Pew Pew (2 gcds) and can also Berserk then Pew Pew

Get 1 extra ability Gore, and 2 ability replacements Massacre replaces Vicious Slash and Devastating Blast replaces Fore Scream.

Fury

3% base dmg reduction

4 10M range attacks, kinda nice for all those adds that stand and shoot at you

Gets 4 extra abilities

Burst has ramp up time, although its rotational. Charge/Obliterate and Force Crush/Berserk, then you can burst with Raging Burst/Smash and then Furious Strike.

I, personally, play my Sentinel as Concentration (Fury, for Marauder?). Strong AoE for solo/questing, solid ST when necessary, great durability from Shii-Cho passives (and all the perks from the old Defensive Forms!) makes for a character with some serious power.

Bejarid have you had a chance to compile any kind of knowledge or guide for Concentration by chance? Yours or anothers? Really curious at investigating the spec on a more serious level. Thanks man.

Bejarid have you had a chance to compile any kind of knowledge or guide for Concentration by chance? Yours or anothers? Really curious at investigating the spec on a more serious level. Thanks man.

You can find a pretty interesting discussion on that in this thread.

I've dabbled in Concentration for a while myself and got 4690 in a mix of 198/192 a while ago using the Dummy rotation described here.

For serious raiding purposes I recommend the second rotation I listed there (All this was posted in the discussion thread I linked above).

Edited by Ardarell_Solo

I'll see about compiling some notes for you over the weekend, but it's just been intuition at this point. There's a guide on Dulfy for the Mara mirror, though, which pretty much follows what I've been doing instinctively. It's a touch more rigid on the filler portions, where I just run a general priority. Haven't attempted any parses yet, as my Sent's still primarily in his old HM DF/DP gear.

• 1 year later...

I have a similar question. I have badly geared Marauder (190 gear pretty much all around). I have little credits and only 100 or so common crystals. So I want to solo heroics to get better gear. I normally set my companion as a tank so I am looking for a build that allows me to kill the mobs fast. If I have to switch to healer companion for the boss, I am OK with that.

Based on what I read, I tried Fury, but I didn't like it. It is entirely possible I was using it incorrectly. I switched to Carnage and I like it better. The only drawback is that it has less abilities. I was using Annihilation, so that's my perspective.

Anyway, I've only completed 2 heroics with my tanking companion using Carnage so I wanted to get some confirmation or suggestions from those of you that are experts with Marauders. Thank you.

If you really want to go with a tank and kill things quickly, Carnage would be the way to go, but the concept might be a bit tricky for soloing heroics, depending on how skilled you are.

The safe bet would be Annihilation, if you insist on going with a tank. Self heal and sustained damage will get you through any heoric mission.

If you have a companion at 40+ influence, you can also just play Carnage and set him to heal, no matter how undergeared you are.

Edited by Ardarell_Solo

Hi,

I'm a returning player who only just made it to level 60 as a Marauder. I still have Rishi and Yavin 4 stories to play through (!) but since I can finally use all my Perks and Abilities I was wondering which school/build I should choose to enjoy the game the most.

I closely follow http://www.dulfy.net which serves us with 3 distinctive and well tested builds for Annihilation, Carnage and Fury Marauders. However, I'd also like you to post your suggestions and ideas on which build you find best suitable for PvE Solo Story play. Is it better to DoT with Annihilation, Crit with Carnage or CC with Fury?

Thanks for reading and any potential input.

- Belphe

As a long time lover of the Marauder class, a fan of both the solo storyline play and as a progression raider and having tried all three specs, as far as PVE solo story play is concerned, I really don't think there is a build that is inherently better or worse to meet the needs of solo story play. Things tend to die much too quickly for many of the signature abilities of the specs to really come into play with any significance.

The DPS output of all three specs will meet any 'dps check' in PVE solo story play with virtual equal effeciency, so I wouldn't really let that be a consideration, I'd say the self-heals of anni could prove useful at times, the burst windows of carnage are excellent for dropping elites while they're still pulling their arm back from their first strike [this can be applied to mobs as well when using sweeping slash in gore windows], and the upfront burst of fury and extra aoe jumps can also be useful as well when dealing with multiple mobs.

I'd probably suggest going with carnage or fury over anni only because Anni really comes into its own when it's given some ramp up time to get it's sustained damage going via it's three dots, given that things die so quickly in PVE solo story play there is going to be very little opportunity to have that sort of set up normally. But than, ravage and annihiliate damage is more than sufficient to meet any damage needs over all even in the short term in solo story play and the self heals can still come in handy.

You really can't go wrong using any one of the specs for your needs and I would go with the style that simply feels "the coolest" to you. If the idea of crazy speed in battle gives you a chubby go carnage, if a more graceful one on one style of fighting fits the picture in your mind go Anni, and if a more brutal slamming style of fighting gets you hot and bothered go Fury.

Simply put, there is no swifter bringer of pain in the galaxy than Marauders.

Go nuts, let loose, and have fun. Marauders are a blast to play.