The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

New 60 Tank with pvp dps gear

Lyrion

I have come back after two years, I used to play PT in pvp and had a good time with it.

This time around I am mostly pve tanking, but would like to get into some level 60 PVP again. As there isnt dual spec and I will be doing pve and pvp every night I play, I really dont want to keep swapping spec.

So, how useful is tank spec with DPS gear? Does this work out? Ive been reading its OP but not sure if joking? WHich dps gear works for this?

If this is not a good idea, then I guess I will go AP, but which gear set is best? Im reading a lot of numbers and % which is a little confusing right now, at this stage I just need to get a good start.

Thanks!

Edited by Lyrion
forgot to add something else

That is not a good idea, the point of a tank is you are the thing getting hit, so your gear is structured to take hits. The dps gear won't protect you from the damage a tank will take, and you won't have the moveset to take advantage of the dps gear as a tank spec. Unfortunately you just gotta pick one and play with it if you don't want to respec (which is free for subscribers btw, so it's not a huge issue IMO).

That being said, tanks are fine in pvp as well, so you really don't need to respect to be viable there either.

i've seen one doing well in dps gear and tank discipline, but he was doing well as a tank so protection and guard swaps, the dps he dished was slightly above a tank's but really low for a dps, if i recall he did like 500k protection and 550k dps..in a match with numbers from the other dps above 1M, and he was playing with a pocket healer..

Tanks are great in pvp. Just takes a bit to learn how to be a good tank and to give up the idea of doing damage, thats not the main job of one in pvp. I'd really recommend getting obsessed about protection numbers for a while and protecting healers, then when thats second nature get back to objectives and when you've masted those, then start adding some AOE damage to the fold last.

PVP now uses all the defensive stats much more than they did back in the day. It's best to stick with tank gear and not try to use dps gear.

Gearing for PVP is super easy though. Just spend your basic coms on blackmarket gear (40-80 basics per piece) and buy a main and offhand with WZ coms once you can afford them. Whats most important is you get to full 2018 expertise. You can then grind for the rest of your set, and once 3.3 hits, prices will drop by 30% on normal and 70% on second level gear.

Edited by KevMeup