Stronghold Limit - Swap Keyring Slot for Stronghold Slot

JediBoadicea

If the stronghold limit has something to do with the number of phases that can be held in 'active memory' to be loaded per user, what about the option for people to select to "trade" one of the four keyring slots in favor of another personal stronghold slot?

While this is obviously not ideal (I've always wished I could have more keys too), if there's truly no other possible way, I would still rather sacrifice a key slot in favor of having more personal active strongholds.

This is an extremely great suggestion and seems like it would be a fair compromise to this 4-limit stronghold dilemma. I am an avid stronghold enthusiast and the notion of having to ERASE all the time, money and effort I spent decorating a stronghold in order to make room for another is just unacceptable to me. I get enjoyment out of decorating strongholds and consequently put great thought and care into my arrangements. If there is some technical difficulties in having more than 4 strongholds active then Ideally I would love for there to be a SAVE function so that if players have to deactivate one they can save the positioning and decorations to a preset and instantly recall them whenever the stronghold is reactivated.

If I had to compromise something in order to allow for players not to have to deal with this 4 stronghold limitation then I think JediBoadicea's suggestion of giving players the option to swap out a key ring slot in exchange for an additional active SH is the way to go.

Edited by Sorrai

Yes, the more I think about it, the more behind this suggestion I feel. Of course this is all still based on assumptions of what the technical limitations are, but I think it's a fair bet to guess it has something to do with the amount of SH data each account can hold/load.

But if everything is designed for each account to already hold the data to load up to 10 Strongholds (4 personal, 4 on the keyring, and 2 guild), then what's to stop us from just switching around what we have access to?

Let us choose how we want to apportion our 10 slots!

It's an interesting idea, but keys are per character, rather than legacy-wide. Will every character in a legacy need to give up a keyring slot in order to qualify to trade in for a single extra legacy stronghold?

That's a good question, Selina. I'm not sure how it would work, or even if it could work. We haven't gotten a lot of detail about what exactly the technical issues are preventing us having more than 4 strongholds.

I can say that I personally would be willing to give up one key slot legacy-wide if that was what it took. While of course I would prefer having no cap to deal with at all and all of my key ring slots, if it must come down to a choice then I know the choice I'd make.

The way I see it, keys are most useful to those who RP and want access to cool locations others have shared with them. In those scenarios, you're usually not RPing by yourself, so it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to assume that usually there will be someone else who can invite you to the location. Alternatively, people who have keys to a SH specifically for the point of access to a SH with more amenities than their own still have remaining key slots - or may not need to sacrifice a slot at all because that sounds like someone who isn't all that into their own SHs to begin with and likely hasn't used up all four of their slots.

Has anyone heard any good news on the topic of increasing stronghold limits? I know, it's probably a long shot, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. And I'm hoping the more posts/feedback the devs see, the more they might be incentivized to keep looking for a solution. :(

I've said this same thing in other topics before. I just didn't post it in suggestions myself.

It seems like the real limit behind it all is 10 strongholds. They just have it locked in at 4 personal stronghold keys and 4 friend stronghold keys, with the other 2 spaces reserved for access to a guild flagship and a guild stronghold.

It's pretty easy from there to reach this topic's idea. Why can't we just swap one type of slot for the other? What would it hurt?

There is of course the edge case of someone already having 4 keys from friends on a particular character before they activate a 5th personal stronghold. For this, I suppose the system would technically have to have excess space reserved (an 11th slot) just in case this happens and then when you log into that character and the system ends up loading data into this extra slot it issues a warning that you're over the limit and must give up one of your friend keys or deactivate a personal stronghold.

You'd probably also get a warning like that if you're at 4 of each and someone tries to offer you a key. You'll be warned that the action will put you over the limit and that you will need to remove a key of either type first.

Someone could also push this the other way first and have only 1 personal stronghold active for themselves but they have keys to 7 friend strongholds on some character of theirs, and then one day they decide to splurge and activate 4 more personal strongholds. Suddenly that character with all the friend keys is 4 keys over the limit and needs to get rid of 4 all at once. (Can't rely on getting the warnings one at a time with each activation. They may be on a different character when they activate the strongholds so the system won't see the excess until they log into the character that does have all the friend keys.) So the system would actually need emergency space reserved to hold at least 4 excess strongholds.

That's an extreme example and it's not going to occur often, but the system would have to be prepared to handle it every time anyway. So for log in, at least, there would need to be a buffer of excess space reserved just in case it finds that there's more stronghold data to load than the limit. It could release that space in memory after everything checks out okay in the log in process though. It doesn't need that much of a buffer at all times.

Edited by Muljo_Stpho

You raise some interesting points about challenges to the slot swap, depending on which character you are doing locking/unlocking/swapping business on at the time of initiation and then subsequent loads. But there have to be ways around this. All the ways you suggested, for example. Or perhaps even a warning, when you're unlocking a 5th stronghold, that doing so WILL automatically delete a keyring slot for all characters in your legacy; perhaps whatever keyring slot just happens to be fourth in the list, so it just auto-deletes that across all characters. That way, because of the warning, you know that if you want to manually select which one gets deleted, you need to pause, load characters and choose, then make the swap.

I just had another idea for how to manage the slot swap without needing reserve memory for initial loading - what if you have to do it through the website, the same way you buy cartel coins? (Yes, I know there's an in-game method for that too, but the point being you can also do it through the site by signing into your account here.) Maybe an interface that showed you a listing of all the keyring slots for each character so you can buy your unlock and/or select deactivations here prior to ever loading the game client.

I know that would be some work, and not being a programmer I honestly don't know if that would be more or less difficult than doing some kind of in-game warning check with extra memory for loading or whatnot. I'm just so desperate for any solution, and really hoping that the devs have someone scouring the forums in the case the player base comes up with any creative solutions. It's got to be in their financial best interest to give players the option for more strongholds to spend money on, and not losing the gains from those players who won't want to deactivate anything.

• 2 weeks later...

So, after taking advantage of the character transfer sale, and having now had the opportunity to see how the interfacing works between the website and the game, I have to think it would absolutely be possible to manage your Stronghold Slots via the website. If this, like character transfers, was something people knew they must do through the website, then they could pick which slots/keys are kept or lost per character when swapping or deactivating a particular kind of slot, and there would be no question about whether or not the game would need to be holding extra Strongholds in memory for any load.

Please, devs! If not this, then something! I know July 21st is close, but I'm still crossing all my fingers and toes. I would love to give you a lot of money this month to buy the Yavin SH, but I can't bring myself to do it at the cost of other money I've already spent and countless hours of work.