Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Legacy Datacron Solution: Put collected datacrons in your stronghold!

Aluvi

So one thing that a lot of players have wanted for a long time is legacy datacrons. Face it, NO ONE wants to take 6-8 hours to go get all the datacrons. They're a pain in the butt to do for every character., and the benefit is rather minimal. I heard Eric Musco say in an interview that although legacy datacrons are something that the Devs want to do, they would have to recode all the datacrons in the game and it would be a massive headache.

Rather than recoding the existing datacrons, why not have it so that when a character gets a datacron, they, or anyone in their legacy, gets the option to place that collected datacron in their stronghold. We already have datacron decoration for the stronghold, so just make them REAL datacrons.

Hell, if you want to do a cash grab, offer the real datacron decorations in a cartel pack or just make them buyable on the cartel market. It's not really a big enough deal that it's pay to win, but it's also something that would definitely sell. I would buy it. Then, when you make a new character, you go to your stronghold and get all the datacrons. Boom, you're done with datacron hunting.

/signed

I agree with you. I have 6 characters so far, but I plan on having 8, for each class. Although, I didn't collect all of them, except starting planet and capital planet, it is really one hell of a work to do.

With datacrons in Stronghold I think Datacron Hunting would become irrelevant for everyone, as entering someone elses Stronghold will be enough to obtain them. It currently sucks for people who have already done them, but I think new players shouldn't have the opportunity to skip this part of the game. Edited by MFollin

With datacrons in Stronghold I think Datacron Hunting would become irrelevant for everyone, as entering someone elses Stronghold will be enough to obtain them.

To address that, there would need to be some sort of 'bound' status for 'active' decorations so that they would only work for a character in the same legacy as the owner of the stronghold, or require actually possessing a key to that stronghold; either would allow the owner of the stronghold and people they pick to access the datacrons, it would prevent a publicly-accessible stronghold from becoming the 'go-to' location to grab all the stat bonuses. While this does create the opportunity to make additional 'live' decorations (exits to specific planets, for example) that didn't become causeways of abuse, backloading the code to support it would be a major undertaking.

Whilst I am actually against legacy datacrons, if this were ever implemented it would have to have level restrictions attached to it so for example you don't have the +10 all stats at level 1 it would at least need to be in the same level brackets that you "could" obtain them in the game.

Face it, NO ONE wants to take 6-8 hours to go get all the datacrons.

I do, and I do.

I also help others get them whenever I can. When I'm on-planet I'll get little Datacron groups going and people really appreciate it. It's also more fun to do stuff with others.

If you break it down and get the Datacrons as you level and/or only the ones you can actually use (Endurance, Presence, Main Stat) the time will seem minimal. Why not get them while you're there anyway? You're already there.

Of course there are the few that actually *do* take some time to get, but they are nothing compared to how many take almost no time to get.

Not only do i think getting datacrons is one of the best thing this game has going on but I think the datacron decos are easily the dumbest decos we have available to us, so lame and unimmersive to have stronghold after stronghold filled with ultra-rare holy relics with magical properties hanging in the air glowing. I vote no on anything that would add to this atmosphere breaking travesty. We need more decos that look like home furnishings and less that look like xbox trophies.

I have a very different take on it.

Like and HK companion, or Treek, there should be a legacy unlock that you can have with an X amount of money (for example, 2 mil credits) or Y amount of cartel coins (300, 500, something like that).

That unlock would give you the stats of all those datacrons. That's it, stats. No lore, codex entries, nothing. Only the stats. And it would also PREVENT your character from benefiting from all past datacrons - in case you decide to go back and click them to get the lore (you'd still get lore and codexes, but no extra stats). Should any datacrons be added to the game in the future, once you get them with one of your characters, they would go into your legacy like all others.

For codex entries and lore you could have a different unlock. If you have unlocked all animal lore, or planetary, or class with one character you could unlock it for others. Like a legacy unlock for animal lore, a different one for planetary, a separate one for all maps, another unlock for persons of note, etc, etc, etc. Would be a nice money grab too, like 500000 credits each unlock or 200 cartel coins. Nowhere near pay-to-win and everybody is happy.

Let's face it: some people love the platforming, and helping others, and getting the things as they level, and they think it takes no time at all. Others, like most of us, think it's a waste of time. The rewards are great, we have done it before on our mains to get the stats and we would like on all our characters. If we have done it once, we have proved we're capable of doing it, we should have a way to make it so all our characters can benefit from it.

I have a very different take on it.

Like and HK companion, or Treek, there should be a legacy unlock that you can have with an X amount of money (for example, 2 mil credits) or Y amount of cartel coins (300, 500, something like that).

That unlock would give you the stats of all those datacrons. That's it, stats. No lore, codex entries, nothing. Only the stats. And it would also PREVENT your character from benefiting from all past datacrons - in case you decide to go back and click them to get the lore (you'd still get lore and codexes, but no extra stats). Should any datacrons be added to the game in the future, once you get them with one of your characters, they would go into your legacy like all others.

For codex entries and lore you could have a different unlock. If you have unlocked all animal lore, or planetary, or class with one character you could unlock it for others. Like a legacy unlock for animal lore, a different one for planetary, a separate one for all maps, another unlock for persons of note, etc, etc, etc. Would be a nice money grab too, like 500000 credits each unlock or 200 cartel coins. Nowhere near pay-to-win and everybody is happy.

Let's face it: some people love the platforming, and helping others, and getting the things as they level, and they think it takes no time at all. Others, like most of us, think it's a waste of time. The rewards are great, we have done it before on our mains to get the stats and we would like on all our characters. If we have done it once, we have proved we're capable of doing it, we should have a way to make it so all our characters can benefit from it.

If the rewards are "great", then they are worth earning on each character. If you want the stats on every character, then find the datacrons on every character.

If you don't want to put forth the minimal effort required to find the datacrons on a given character, then don't. Don't expect to be simply handed those stats, though.

I point you to this link:

http://torwars.com/swtor-community-c...t-of-laughter/

Which includes the following:

-I asked if datacrons/codex etc. will be added to legacy in future. Datacrons no, achievements yes.

If you don't want to put forth the minimal effort required to find the datacrons on a given character, then don't. Don't expect to be simply handed those stats, though.

The effort is definitely not minimal. We're not talking a couple minutes per datacron (even if we were, it's many datacrons). We have to factor in the entire time it takes to open up a page on whatever website you use to guide yourself, get to the planets, face loadscreen bosses, occasional lag that makes you fall from stupid easy jumps, etc, etc, etc. Some datacrons will take you less than 5 minutes, others will take longer than an hour simply because load times are really long, you have to walk all the way to them, sometimes you have multiple steps, need multiple people to click, etc. And fleet datacron these days? Forget it, nobody is doing it. Even if they do, it's a guild that has an alt character parked up there, and they use guildship summon to get people up. Completely defeats the purpose of the group, exploration, adventure, discovery, and all that stuff that (some) people (somehow) think is fun.

My point is that the dev already said they want to do it, but it is something that would create complicated technical problems - as OP said, they'd have to rewrite the whole thing for datacrons. What I proposed was to have those boosts from stats avaiable as a legacy unlock as long as you got at least one character Datacron Master.

After a while you feel like exploring? Clicking the things? Getting codexes? Nothing is preventing you from doing it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.