Need Advice on a Mara Tryout (with 3.2.1 in mind)

kjchan

Hi all,

I'm a non-mara player and don't know the class so any feedback is appreciated. My progression team has a DPS candidate who wants to tryout with us and is 4/10 on an Annihilation Mara with a 5 set piece bonus. His/her dummy parse is 3900, which I've been told by a couple folks as being 1K low.

Questions for the community:

1) That dummy score seems low to me especially with a 5 set piece. Thoughts?

2) I don't know what 3.2.1 means for a Mara in a HM group. Is 3.2.1 going to nerf the hell out of the Mara? Should I even bother with this tryout? As a raid lead, I do like the idea of Predation being on a 30 second cooldown without losing stacks...but that's all I can comprehend out of the patch notes.

Thanks!

Questions for the community:

1) That dummy score seems low to me especially with a 5 set piece. Thoughts?

3,900 sounds very low - did the applicant use adrenals and all offensive CDs?

2) I don't know what 3.2.1 means for a Mara in a HM group. Is 3.2.1 going to nerf the hell out of the Mara? Should I even bother with this tryout? As a raid lead, I do like the idea of Predation being on a 30 second cooldown without losing stacks...but that's all I can comprehend out of the patch notes.

While I haven't tested 3.2.1 Annihilation in HM Ops, I belief its DPS was slightly nerfed compared to 3.0 on dummy parses, and I worry it will do much less in real fights.

Wow, didn't think I'd get an Oofalong response! Thanks for the fast reply man.

I did ask him/her about it and it sounds like no cooldowns or adrenals were used. I know I can ask for the guy to do another re-parse...but until I get those numbers back, what would you think of 3900 without those buffs?

Wow, didn't think I'd get an Oofalong response! Thanks for the fast reply man.

I did ask him/her about it and it sounds like no cooldowns or adrenals were used. I know I can ask for the guy to do another re-parse...but until I get those numbers back, what would you think of 3900 without those buffs?

I am always more concerned with the rotation the player uses in the parse as well as their APM.

If they are following the ideal rotation then they may have potential in a raid environment, but if they can't master the rotation in a static environment then they will really struggle when mechanics happen. I know a lot of people don't enjoy parsing, and proper use of Berserk as well as favorable crit rates can have a big impact on a dummy parse. In real fights, I feel there is a bit more flexibility so someone who parses terribly on the dummy may actually do better in a real fight if they have the rotation down.

As for APM, I always want to see how close to the max number of GCDs they use. Assuming no alacrity, they should be able to use an ability every 1.5s, which would translate to 40 APM. (With Adrenals, CDs, Berserk, and Ravage 40 really isn't the target for the discipline.) If someone only activates an attack every 1.57s or so they are losing ~5% of their DPS potential. This may or may not be worse in a real boss fight, and it may or may not be something the person can improve on. Identifying if its an issue is a start though.

I hope this helps.