Free to play and Preferred would love this and Bioware would still win!

Many people think it's ridiculous, but I understand the credit cap. Because most of the F2P/Pref unlocks are sold in the GTN, and anyone can farm dailies, it would be pretty easy for F2P/Pref to buy most of the unlocks without too much work. We still can, but we have to also buy credit transfers, which is more money in Bioware's pocket (Even if it is subs buying from the CM and selling them on the GTN, Bioware is still getting paid). However, the restrictive nature of transfers (only 3 available totals), and the fact that in order to make best use of them you need you be right at your credit max, hurts not only F2P/Prefs but also subs, since their high end stuff has a smaller market.

What I suggest is adding an unlock, similar to the inventory or cargo bay unlock, that increases your credit cap by, say, 100k. Bioware can still keep selling the credit escrow transfers (though they would be diminished in value), and they would add a brand new thing to the CM that could make them money. The price in CCs would need to be fairly high, maybe something like 500, that would mean in order to get a 1M credit cap as a Preferred, you would shelling out ~$30. Furthermore, Bioware could finally shed the PR nightmare that the credit cap has been, and overall improve the quality of the in game market.Actually, I believe that credit cap is wrong... for Bioware. And it's hurting their income a lot. Players can live with it, 350k is absolutely enough for a daily living of SWTOR's toon.

Why is it hurting them? Let me give an example, hot topic - Strongholds. Legacy Cargo Bay unlock is going to cost some ridiculous amount of credits, or 2500 CC. Of course, folks will go for CC and that's conscious Bioware design, nevermind. Unlock will sell on GTN for ~2 mil credits, but large population of player base will be restricted, because they're limited to 350k. They're are going to sell a lot less unlocks than they could.

In the end it's always the same. Bioware could sell a LOT more unlocks, hypercrates and other CC items, but they are restricting more than half of their player base from buying expensive stuff from GTN. It's stupid, and it's wrong. For them. It's against f2p games economy, but with SWTOR's restrictive f2p they think it's going to make more folks to subscribe. Maybe, but they still could earn much more being less restrictive. :csw_vader::wea_03::csw_bluesaber::jawa_smile:

Edited by Nontestato

Many people think it's ridiculous, but I understand the credit cap. Because most of the F2P/Pref unlocks are sold in the GTN, and anyone can farm dailies, it would be pretty easy for F2P/Pref to buy most of the unlocks without too much work. We still can, but we have to also buy credit transfers, which is more money in Bioware's pocket (Even if it is subs buying from the CM and selling them on the GTN, Bioware is still getting paid). However, the restrictive nature of transfers (only 3 available totals), and the fact that in order to make best use of them you need you be right at your credit max, hurts not only F2P/Prefs but also subs, since their high end stuff has a smaller market.

What I suggest is adding an unlock, similar to the inventory or cargo bay unlock, that increases your credit cap by, say, 100k. Bioware can still keep selling the credit escrow transfers (though they would be diminished in value), and they would add a brand new thing to the CM that could make them money. The price in CCs would need to be fairly high, maybe something like 500, that would mean in order to get a 1M credit cap as a Preferred, you would shelling out ~$30. Furthermore, Bioware could finally shed the PR nightmare that the credit cap has been, and overall improve the quality of the in game market.Actually, I believe that credit cap is wrong... for Bioware. And it's hurting their income a lot. Players can live with it, 350k is absolutely enough for a daily living of SWTOR's toon.

Why is it hurting them? Let me give an example, hot topic - Strongholds. Legacy Cargo Bay unlock is going to cost some ridiculous amount of credits, or 2500 CC. Of course, folks will go for CC and that's conscious Bioware design, nevermind. Unlock will sell on GTN for ~2 mil credits, but large population of player base will be restricted, because they're limited to 350k. They're are going to sell a lot less unlocks than they could.

In the end it's always the same. Bioware could sell a LOT more unlocks, hypercrates and other CC items, but they are restricting more than half of their player base from buying expensive stuff from GTN. It's stupid, and it's wrong. For them. It's against f2p games economy, but with SWTOR's restrictive f2p they think it's going to make more folks to subscribe. Maybe, but they still could earn much more being less restrictive. :csw_vader::wea_03::csw_bluesaber::jawa_smile:

It's been stated many times before that the credit cap is one of the biggest incentives to subscribe and one of the few that cannot be unlocked, but the "entitled, I want to play for FREE, but I still want all the bells and whistles." crowd just sticks their fingers in their ears and keeps going "NAH! NAH! NAH! I can't hear you".

If you want to play for FREE and accept the restrictions that entails, more power to you.

If you want all the bells and whistles, then subscribe.

It really is THAT simple. You don't get to have all the bells and whistles for FREE.

Edited by Ratajack

It's been stated many times before that the credit cap is one of the biggest incentives to subscribe and one of the few that cannot be unlocked, but the "entitled, I want to play for FREE, but I still want all the bells and whistles." crowd just sticks their fingers in their ears and keeps going "NAH! NAH! NAH! I can't hear you".

If you want to play for FREE and accept the restrictions that entails, more power to you.

It really is THAT simple. You don't get to have all the bells and whistles for FREE.

Its also one of the main things that keeps people from even trying the game, liking it, and subscribing. If you were to read the suggestion, he's suggesting increments of 100k on the cap - for great big piles of credits. Just to get to a cap of 1 million credits which is still not enough for any of the really interesting stuff on the GTN, his price - which I agree with, would be around $32.50 in coins, or coming up on 6 month sub.

Its also one of the main things that keeps people from even trying the game, liking it, and subscribing. If you were to read the suggestion, he's suggesting increments of 100k on the cap - for great big piles of credits. Just to get to a cap of 1 million credits which is still not enough for any of the really interesting stuff on the GTN, his price - which I agree with, would be around $32.50 in coins, or coming up on 6 month sub.

Let's call it like it is and stop trying to downplay what the OP wants.

The OP is asking to pay A ONE TIME PAYMENT of about the equivalent of a TWO MONTHS subscription (nowhere near a 6 month subscription) to have a PERMANENT increase on the credit cap. That's assuming that the OP doesn't already have any CC's saved up from his monthly stipend, in which case he would be paying even less to raise that cap and then play for FREE.

If the OP wants to play with all the bells and whistles and have no restrictions, then the OP should subscribe.

If the OP wants to play for FREE, then he should accept the restrictions that accompany playing for FREE.

The OP is asking to pay A ONE TIME PAYMENT of about the equivalent of a TWO MONTHS subscription (nowhere near a 6 month subscription) to have a PERMANENT increase on the credit cap. That's assuming that the OP doesn't already have any CC's saved up from his monthly stipend, in which case he would be paying even less to raise that cap and then play for FREE.

If the OP wants to play with all the bells and whistles and have no restrictions, then the OP should subscribe.

If the OP wants to play for FREE, then he should accept the restrictions that accompany playing for FREE.

Sums it up nicely.

The OP is asking to pay A ONE TIME PAYMENT of about the equivalent of a TWO MONTHS subscription (nowhere near a 6 month subscription) to have a PERMANENT increase on the credit cap.

Let me quote the relevant part again for you:

What I suggest is adding an unlock, similar to the inventory or cargo bay unlock, that increases your credit cap by, say, 100k. Bioware can still keep selling the credit escrow transfers (though they would be diminished in value), and they would add a brand new thing to the CM that could make them money. The price in CCs would need to be fairly high, maybe something like

Now, something like the Artifact Authorisation sell on my server for 3.5 to 4.5 million credits. So to increase the cap to that point via incremental unlocks - Which probably wouldn't go that high, would cost between 16 and 21 THOUSAND cartel coins. Rare mounts go for 10 to 20 million credits, that's up to 100,000 cartel coins. So a thousand dollars say... Yeah, its all about tightwads trying to get stuff for free.

Let me quote the relevant part again for you:

Now, something like the Artifact Authorisation sell on my server for 3.5 to 4.5 million credits. So to increase the cap to that point via incremental unlocks - Which probably wouldn't go that high, would cost between 16 and 21 THOUSAND cartel coins. Rare mounts go for 10 to 20 million credits, that's up to 100,000 cartel coins. So a thousand dollars say... Yeah, its all about tightwads trying to get stuff for free.

Are you seriously expecting me, or anyone else, to believe that the OP is willing to pay hundreds of dollars, if not thousands of dollars, just to raise the credit cap while avoiding the subscription cost of a meager $15/month?

I highly doubt that. Even if he were, though, it might be much more economical for him to simply subscribe.

Either way, if he wants all the bells and whistles and no restrictions, then he can SUBSCRIBE. $15/month is not much.

If he wants to play for FREE, then he can play with the restrictions, including that pesky credit cap, that accompany being able to play for FREE.

He could also subscribe for a month or two and purchase all the unlocks and escrows he wants while he has no credit cap.

Are you seriously expecting me, or anyone else, to believe that the OP is willing to pay hundreds of dollars, if not thousands of dollars, just to raise the credit cap while avoiding the subscription cost of a meager $15/month?

No. I'm saying that some people may spend some money on points to raise the cap slightly, and subscribers may CHOOSE to buy the unlock to sell on the GTN, which yes, I expect people would buy quite a few if they were available. I know I would, as there's not a lot else that's available that I would want to spend credits on - At least on the lower end of the market. Either way, they sell, and EA make money.

No. I'm saying that some people may spend some money on points to raise the cap slightly, and subscribers may CHOOSE to buy the unlock to sell on the GTN, which yes, I expect people would buy quite a few if they were available. I know I would, as there's not a lot else that's available that I would want to spend credits on - At least on the lower end of the market. Either way, they sell, and EA make money.

Your post is a perfect example of what I mentioned earlier.

You already KNOW the reason for the credit cap and yet you still stick your fingers in your ears, going "I can't hear you." for no reason other than your desire to allow others (and possibly yourself) to play for FREE with all the bells and whistles.

A minor ONE TIME purchase is hardly "supporting this game".

If you want to play for FREE, then accept the restrictions, including that pesky credit cap. .

If you want all the bells and whistles and no restrictions, then pony up the money and subscribe.

Edited by Ratajack

A minor ONE TIME purchase is hardly "supporting this game".

If you want to play for FREE, then accept the restrictions, including that pesky credit cap. .

If you want all the bells and whistles and no restrictions, then pony up the money and subscribe.

... Have you even read anything here? It IS NOT A ONE TIME PURCHASE! It is a REPEATABLE (Within limits)purchase for a 100k extension. You know what you can buy on the GTN for 350k? Not a lot. You know what you can buy for 450k? Also not a lot! It would require at least 4 or 5 purchases - 2,500 coins to get to the point where you might be able to buy something worth getting, with the interesting stuff needing one heck of a lot more. My own suggestion here was for a temporary cap extender like the pass for Operations or Space Combat, but someone like you jumped on that seemingly without reading it straight away as well.

And in case you haven't noticed, EVERYONE on the forums is a subscriber. Admittedly my sub runs out in a week or so, and yes - Having a few extensions like this unlocked would keep me playing more in the coming months, as it stands I'll likely barely log in - Despite having 5 months of time cards available to me (All sitting on my desk in front of me as it happens).

I suppose you're against character slots being available too? After all, if I want 6 more, all I have to do as a premium player is subscribe. Or Space Mission passes? Or Operation passes? Or Artifact Authorisation? Section X? Treek? Inventory slots?

... Have you even read anything here? It IS NOT A ONE TIME PURCHASE! It is a REPEATABLE (Within limits)purchase for a 100k extension. You know what you can buy on the GTN for 350k? Not a lot. You know what you can buy for 450k? Also not a lot! It would require at least 4 or 5 purchases - 2,500 coins to get to the point where you might be able to buy something worth getting, with the interesting stuff needing one heck of a lot more. My own suggestion here was for a temporary cap extender like the pass for Operations or Space Combat, but someone like you jumped on that seemingly without reading it straight away as well.

The credit cap exists for a reason. That reason is NOT to be bypassed by a ONE TIME purchase, or even several ONE TIME purchases. If a player does not want to "suffer" the credit cap, then THEY SHOULD SUBSCRIBE.

If a player purchases items from the CM with the intent to gouge the player base on the GTN, then they will have to accept that the F2P and preferred players may not be able to afford their ridiculous price.

And in case you haven't noticed, EVERYONE on the forums is a subscriber. Admittedly my sub runs out in a week or so, and yes - Having a few extensions like this unlocked would keep me playing more in the coming months, as it stands I'll likely barely log in - Despite having 5 months of time cards available to me (All sitting on my desk in front of me as it happens).

Yes, the OP may be a subscriber now, but for how much longer would he subscribe if he could simply make a ONE TIME purchase and remove or lessen the credit cap?

How many current subscribers would stop subscribing if they could make a ONE TIME purchase to remove or lessen the credit cap?

How many current subscribers would stop subscribing if they could make a ONE TIME purchase to remove or lessen the credit cap?

If the credit cap is the only thing keeping people subscribing, then EA have a serious problem. But there are many other things you get for your sub fee that cannot be bought for cartel coins at all:

Store Discounts

Unlimited Medical Probes (Alright, you can buy 5 for a small ransom)

Unlocks available for credits

Full experience (free/pref get a 20% or so reduction)

Rest experience

Boosted craft experience

Boosted Rep experience

12x Class Mission Experience

Able to mail multiple items and credits

Free skill respec's

Limited mission rewards

Customer Service Support

They also have the following unlocked that can be mitigated somewhat by store purchases:

Space Mission access

Operation access

Artifacts

Warzone access

Full flashpoint looting rights

More quickslots

Inventory/cargo slots

GTN slots

Character titles, legacy titles and hiding head slots

Crew skills

Fast travel (Not sure what restrictions currently should apply to pref's compared to sub's now)

And there are probably plenty of things I've missed. but anyway, by the time a preferred customers unlocks all that, they've probably spent a small fortune anyway - Potentially more than many subscribers.

I am in fact in favour of more things being available to subscribers only - New content for example I think should give subscribers access a week or two before everyone else. Perhaps, yes, with an unlock available in the store for those with coins to burn, but not cash... They could only allow sub's to access the fast travel console to planets, make everyone else go through the hassle of multiple loading screens...

But if the credit cap is the only reason you're subbed, I'd be asking myself in your shoes if it were worth it.

If the credit cap is the only thing keeping people subscribing, then EA have a serious problem. But there are many other things you get for your sub fee that cannot be bought for cartel coins at all:

Store Discounts

Unlimited Medical Probes (Alright, you can buy 5 for a small ransom)

Unlocks available for credits

Full experience (free/pref get a 20% or so reduction)

Rest experience

Boosted craft experience

Boosted Rep experience

12x Class Mission Experience

Able to mail multiple items and credits

Free skill respec's

Limited mission rewards

Customer Service Support

They also have the following unlocked that can be mitigated somewhat by store purchases:

Space Mission access

Operation access

Artifacts

Warzone access

Full flashpoint looting rights

More quickslots

Inventory/cargo slots

GTN slots

Character titles, legacy titles and hiding head slots

Crew skills

Fast travel (Not sure what restrictions currently should apply to pref's compared to sub's now)

And there are probably plenty of things I've missed. but anyway, by the time a preferred customers unlocks all that, they've probably spent a small fortune anyway - Potentially more than many subscribers.

I am in fact in favour of more things being available to subscribers only - New content for example I think should give subscribers access a week or two before everyone else. Perhaps, yes, with an unlock available in the store for those with coins to burn, but not cash... They could only allow sub's to access the fast travel console to planets, make everyone else go through the hassle of multiple loading screens...

But if the credit cap is the only reason you're subbed, I'd be asking myself in your shoes if it were worth it.

It's not the only only reason I am subscribed, but it IS a major reason why some people subscribe.

I subscribe because I like the game and I want to support it. I will NOT be a LEECH and try to play for FREE while expecting all the bells and whistles.

I'm also all for adding more things to the subscriber benefits, but I will NOT support removing or lessening the credit restrictions, including the credit cap and the inability to transfer credits between characters. The credit restrictions should remain in place and NOT be unlockable.

If someone wants to play for FREE, then they can play with the credit cap.

If someone wants to play with all the bells and whistles and no restrictions, then they SHOULD SUBSCRIBE.

I think they should stop flushing my credits down the toilet with their GTN commission tax.

If you sell 100M worth of stuff they would have taxed 6.000.000.

Edited by Arjani

I think they should stop flushing my credits down the toilet with their GTN commission tax.

If you sell 100M worth of stuff they would have taxed 6.000.000.

Credit sinks are a *good* thing, seriously.