The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Have there been many prior Emperors?

Reeny

There was Palpatine in the 6 SW movies so far.

Prior during SWTOR, there is also a Dark Council and an "Emperor" though we never got to see him/her.

So the question is, has there always been an Emperor of sorts?

Who is/was he and and how was he selected?

Tks!

The Sith Empire before Vitiate was always ruled by a "Dark Lord of the Sith", that rank was effectively the same as being an emperor but was not usually referred to as such (although 'emperor' was probably one of the position's official titles, the same way the Queen of England also holds the 'rank' of Head of the Commonwealth).

Other Sith Empires tended to use "Dark Lord" as the title for their leader as well - Darth Revan and later Malak in their Sith Empire during the Jedi Civil War; Darth Ruin for the New Sith Empire that he created 2,000 years before Palpatine.

Other than that, the title "emperor" or "empress" was just used by a few planetary or sector-wide government (the Koros system was unified by Empress Teta just before the Great Hyperspace War, the Tapani sector had an emperor, etc.)

After Palpatine, a few Imperial Warlords tried to claim the title of Emperor, but the Galactic Empire didn't really recognize a new Emperor until Emperor Jagged Fel, whose descendents inherited the rank for at least three more generations (Marasiah Fel was Empress in the latest stories set chronologically).

Darth Krayt seized control of the Galactic Empire from one of the Fel Emperors about 130 years after Palpatine, and declared himself Emperor, starting the Imperial Civil War between the Imperials loyal to the Sith and those loyal to the Fel dynasty.

• 2 weeks later...

In name? No.

In effect? Plenty.

Most common title would be Dark Lord when referring to the "supreme rulers of the sith", and i'm pretty sure that before the dark jedi came to korriban the original Sith even used the title of King for their rulers.

Not to be confused with the sith'ari i believe the title was.. Which i believe was more akin to the title of the Sith version of Force Jesus.

So someone like Anakin would have been more likely to hold that title than Palpatine had they both been part of the old empires.

In name, I believe there were four total in the EU: The Emp in SWTOR, Palps, Caedus (Anakin Solo), and one other guy who was kind of obscurely stated as the first "Emperor".

I may be misremembering, but I don't think Darth Caedus (Jacen Solo) ever took the title Emperor, I believe he was Chief of State of the Galactic Alliance the whole time he was in power.

Talking about the whole EU there were also several emperors during the Legacy Era: Emperor Jagged Fel, Emperor Fel II (never appeared in any material, just known to have existed), Emperor Roan Fel, Empress Marasiah Fel, and Darth Krayt (I don't think Darth Wyyrlok ever took the title Emperor, only Regent for a short time).