The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Flying mounts?

One word............................NO!!!

And to further elaborate, the current Worlds aren't set-up for free-flight (ie Player Driven) Flying Mounts or (though I know it wasn't asked here) Combat Mounts. In order for those to be made possible, they would need to be World Specific Mount (ie only usable on & restricted to, said World) or created specifically for a Flash Point/Operation/Warzone.

For example, the Speed/Jumping Vehicles that was recently added (via Ziost) are currently restricted to two of the areas on Ziost, the Zone in which it is introduced and the Daily Section Zone. At the moment, it is a Ziost exclusive feature. Could it possibly be added to a previous World, possibly but it would require them to create a specific Section or reason for it to be added to that World. Otherwise, it is unlikely we would see that Ziost Feature being added to the current crop of Player Vehicular Mounts.

So, in order for Flying Mounts to be added, it will either be restricted to a single specific World/Zone or FP/OP/WZ. But as an all encompassing feature that can be used on any World regardless, it is extremely unlikely (somewhere around 1% or less) to be added to the game.

Edited by Altyrell

• 11 months later...
Either Flying mounts or fast speeds, it takes way to long to blow through the same content that you have already experienced. Hoth, Belsavis, Corellia aghhh, the list could go forever, the planets are great, but lets face it people get tired of having to stop and fight endless mobs every time they get knocked off of a mount just for traveling to a quest location. It SUCKS it takes longer to get to the quest than it does to actually complete the quest, I love sight seeing as much as the next guy/gal, but c'mon man, the leveling doesn't take long with all the perks and tokens but still, when you want to complete the class specific quests it takes to long to get to the destination, and it is monotonous you kill the same things over and over until you get to the quest and then you have to kill what you have been killing the whole time even more. I can't be the only one.

• 2 weeks later...
fast speeds

I'd have to dig for it but I believe staff went on record saying increasing travel speeds wasn't going to happen as it's a limitation of the game engine.

edit: Maybe the same for flying mounts.

Edited by dr_mike

Increased speeds I could dig, but depending how high, is probably a limitation of the engine.

As far as flying mounts... Remember how Blizzard had to "rebuild the world" for flying mounts? Yes. That' Except TOR is far less open-ended than Blizzard had, so they'd have to design entire worlds from the ground up.

Let's not copy WoW's mistakes.

That being said, I would wholeheartedly welcome a buff to current mount speeds and mobility.

For example, give us mounts that could jump extra high...or fly for a short duration...or teleport a small distance...or grant immunity to falling damage. Fun stuff like that. Refer to Champions Online for more cool ideas.

Edited by Hebruixe

I'd have to dig for it but I believe staff went on record saying increasing travel speeds wasn't going to happen as it's a limitation of the game engine.

edit: Maybe the same for flying mounts.

This is 100% a lie. Flightpath speeders move five times as fast as rank 3 player speeders do. I can see flying mounts being a limitation, however.

Personally speaking, I hope they never add them ingame.

Wow after a long time realised its mistake of adding them, and changed it so new expansions, you can only do it in the final patch cycle of an expansion. They did it for draenor and announced legion will be the same

It ruins immersion in a game

There is zero sense of danger when you can just fly over everything. The game is easy enough, without them adding a way to just fly to the next part of the story

This is 100% a lie. Flightpath speeders move five times as fast as rank 3 player speeders do. I can see flying mounts being a limitation, however.

Yes, taxis are faster than player mounts, but...

* Taxis have a fixed flight path.

* Taxis do not interact in any way with the environment.

Now, let's look at possible engine-related issues:

* High speed travel can cause scenery-draw issues (e.g. look at ArcheAge when you have a very fast vehicle, mount, or glider, but some of their issues are caused by a large amount of "variable" scenery e.g. player houses, farms, etc. that don't apply to SWTOR). But this would affect taxis as well, and we don't normally see these problems when riding taxis.

* High speed travel might cause issues with interactions between the player and in-world mobs. Doesn't affect taxis, obviously.

* High speed travel might cause issues with interactions between the player and in-world zones, like e.g. [AREA] quests. Again, doesn't affect taxis.

* High speed travel might allow access to otherwise unreachable areas.

The last one can be thought of more as a consequence of the design decision, but seems likely to be an important one. There are places that a current level 3 mount cannot jump to. A faster mount might be able to get there.