The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

powertech agro trouble

kallachi

From Dulfy.net:

Highest opener threat-wise:

1. Leap into Combat

2. Rocket Punch -> Rail Shot

3. AOE Taunt

4. Flame Thrower/Firestorm (at level 57)

5. Rocket Punch if reset

6. Flame Sweep/Flame Burst (if single target)

7. Heat Blast (Soon as you receive three heat screens)

(when you get to level 51 you can add the Should Cannon into the opening if you like as well, or save for Healing)

Ability Priority:

1. Heat Blast (Mitigation)

2. Rocket Punch ( Reset City & Shield Enhancers )

3. Rail Shot (Shield Enhancers)

4. Flame Thrower/Firestorm

5. Flame Sweep/Flame Burst

6. Rapid Shots to conserve heat.

Now if it is a problem holding agro on Ranged units, use your Grapple Gun to pull people to you, or LOS around a corner to get all the mobs to group up together.

Use Guard on the highest DPS you have in the group, usually I pick the highest level person in group.

And make sure you are using your Tanking Cylinder.

Edited by Pokupo

If that's your first character, don't forget that taunting while you already have aggro multiplies your threat ( i think it's 30% although that could be the wrong number), so it's worthwhile to keep doing that, and at your level you probably want to hit your first AoE taunt on a trash pack straight after using some aoe burst :)

I had similar issues on my first Powertech.

I used to pull my hair out because I could not hold everything on every pull. It was not until I started grouping with some friends that they told me to just focus on the biggest baddest guy in each pull and hold him and the few around him and let the DPS worry about the stragglers.

Any normal, or strong type mobs can be burned down extremely quickly by a DPS, usually within a few GCDs.

Don't fret the small stuff, worry about what could tear your group apart if it gets loose. If it's all weak just run in and play DPS and don't worry about tanking, the most important thing is to make sure your healer is comfortable, but still has something to do (meaning if they are just standing around DPSing, you need to pull faster).

Charge, double flame sweep, flame thrower/firestorm when you get the proc, then fill in with your single target stuff as needed.

Make liberal use of grapple (take the passive that reduces the cooldown).

I cannot stress enough to just relax and let the DPS go hog wild. They want to charge in and kill things, and the best thing you can do is let them. Just make sure the mobs that can actually harm them (elites and champions) are under your control. My wife is my healer 100% of the time and even in her crap gear she can keep the group alive with ease if I let the norm and strong mobs run around while I play with the elites.

Realizing now you said level 27 ...

At that level chances are the DPS that are pulling aggro are twinks in very good top-end-for-their-level gear. Let them tank, just try and keep up. They can tank the bosses just as well as you can at that level (more or less). Anyone that cannot will not likely pull aggro from you.