The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

3.2 - Pyro/Plasma vs AP/Tactic

Matroxxx

Hello fellow Vanguards and BHs :)

I return to the game after a few months break and I find my gear slightly outdated. Before I start collecting comms, doing ops and min-maxing mods I wanted to hear your opinions about the DPS disciplines of our class. I have read Kwertys awesome guide on Dulfy.net ( http://dulfy.net/2014/12/08/swtor-3-0-powertech-advanced-prototype-and-pyrotech-dps-guide-by-kwerty/ ) and it really gave me the general feel of the updated classes, but the author rated the SINGLE target damage of both disciplines as equal. Therefore I'm not sure which of the two will be more ops viable in terms of raw damage done to the boss after the 3.2 patch.

So if anyone could help me by answering these questions:

1) Can anyone share how much DPS they lash out during dummy parses for any/both of the disciplines?

2) Power or Aim augments?

3) Which discipline is more welcome in ops groups? I mean mostly HM here.

So if anyone could help me by answering these questions:

1) Can anyone share how much DPS they lash out during dummy parses for any/both of the disciplines?

2) Power or Aim augments?

3) Which discipline is more welcome in ops groups? I mean mostly HM here.

1) In my Optimized 198s with a 204 mainhand, I'm averaging 4.9k in Tactics and 4.95k In Plasmatech. Tactics is more mobile and has better ranged capabilities which is why they are ranked the same in the guide

2) Alacrity :p (Or more precisely, Accuracy ones because I went the much faster way to optimizing of using the enhancements from token gear)

3) Since the nerfs to Bulo + Sword Squadrons damage output, both Pyrotech + Advanced Prototype are great for 8/10 of Hard Mode.

For Colossal Monolyth (New instanced world boss), The boss is half AoE damage and half DoT damage. If you're doing the taunt thing where a DPS acts as the second tank, Advanced Prototype will survive better while being beaten on, but Pyrotech will do better at dealing with the DoTs. I'd still go AP for that fight though because of the reduced CD on energy shield when being attacked, plus you can get caught at a distance quite often (not that the fight has any semblence of a DPS check, especially if you bring Juggernauts)

For Corratani + Ruugar, you'll find that without the AoE damage reduction from Advanced Prototype, the second phase can be very painful. I feel sorry for Sorcs who have to deal with light armor + no AoE DR

For Revan, where Pyrotech may have the advantage on the final core phase (as its explosive surge is better for when you can't look at the core, and the DoTs still work when you aren't looking at the core), but you are going to be caught at range a LOT and will need to do quite a bit of moving. Advanced Prototype will fair a hell of a lot better than Pyrotech in this fight as well.

Overall, if you only want to learn 1 spec, I'd learn Advanced Prototype, simply because its the more viable spec for Revan + Corratani