The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The Elegant Duelist Set Is Fantastic, But...

What are the leather straps on the shoulders?

In the past, shoulder ornaments at least, for the most part, often made sense for some kind of combat function.

The new Elegant Duelist set is really nice for Jedi, in my opinion. But when looking at the shoulders, I can't seem to figure out why the leather straps were included.

What are they?

• 2 weeks later...

Probably just decorative straps. I've got a coat in my closet that has a bunch of stuff like that.

Most of that stuff is usually remnants of things that served a practical purpose for certain types of clothing (usually work related) untill people started wearing them for aesthetic reasons.

Only reason they're still there at that point is to keep the feel of the clothing.

Yakno, like how it just wouldnt be proper cowboy boots without the spores, even if you never plan on riding a horse.

That said, starwars clothing is filled with completely useless doodads that couldnt possibly ever have served any purpose whatsoever, so who knows...

Atleast these dont look as out of place as alot of other stuff we got.

Mate. Exactly my thought. WTH are those straps? Yet another needless addition just thrown for the sake of it. Actually I was picturing Count Dooku's outfit without a cape when I saw this set first. I am using it as an off-time elegant outfit for my aristocrat Sith Juggernaut.

They also float and stretch stupidly. Wish they removed them. But they have a long history of stupid additions being so miner but at the same time capable of ruining entire pieces. Most notorious example would be the hump-sack on Jolee Bindo chest piece, which was not present in KotOR. It serves absolutely no purpose and is completely stupid.

Edited by Alec_Fortescue